Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder GoPro Mount & Washing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:10 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 987 Spyder GoPro Mount & Washing Questions

Picking up a 2011 Spyder in a few weeks and had a couple of initial questions:
  • I'll be road-tripping with my dad from CA back to TX and wanted to mount a GoPro on the rollbar in between us to get some video/pictures of our journey, are there any recommendations for good mounts that don't wobble and can be used for this purpose as well as future AutoX/HPDE events?
  • I'm sure the car will be filthy when we make it home, and I've been washing my cars with a pressure washer/foam cannon as of late. Obviously I'm going to keep away from the pressure fit areas (top over the side window comes to mind), but I'm wondering if current owners could chime in and tell me how easy/difficult it is to get water inside the car when washing due to the less-than-watertight fit.
  • What are people using to clean the top? From reading the manual it doesn't need regular washing, and you can brush off dirt/etc with some sort of brush?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to get out there and start having some fun!
Old 06-16-2019, 04:57 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Just use the regular go pro suction mount, open case and run a mic in the cabin. The spyder/cayman R have the perfect spot to just stick the suction mount right in the middle of the car.

Example:

Old 06-16-2019, 04:58 PM
tq.3z
Pro

I forgot the most important thing - congratulations! Which car are you picking up? The black one with 6 speed and sofa's in diamond bar area?
Old 06-16-2019, 05:09 PM
MattUF
Racer

Originally Posted by tq.3z
Just use the regular go pro suction mount, open case and run a mic in the cabin. The spyder/cayman R have the perfect spot to just stick the suction mount right in the middle of the car.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE2YjSu63g8
I have the suction mount so that works! What does the mount attach to?

I forgot the most important thing - congratulations! Which car are you picking up? The black one with 6 speed and sofa's in diamond bar area?
Thanks! I'm actually picking up a white one, 6 speed with buckets It's in Laguna Hills.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

We in Cali don't take kindly to Spyders being exported to TX!

Congrats on the car and enjoy the trip back with your dad -- sounds fun. Share some pics maybe upon your return.

(I, too, was wondering what to attach the mount to??)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

As far as washing, assuming it will be very dirty a standard two bucket wash would be best. When using the hose around the top don’t spray upwards from the sides or back when pointing the water near the windows. There really isn’t a positive seal around these areas so you could inadvertently spray water into the car. Best is to take the spray nozzle off and just let it pour over the top and sides when rinsing. As far as the top, a dry brush would be fine since it’s likely not too dirty. You can follow this with a lint roller to pickup any remaining debris.

Congrats on the purchase and definitely post up pics of the car and trip! I’m trying to remember if I’ve seen the car your purchasing, is it a dealer or private seller purchase? I recall seeing a White/Black 6spd bucket car in OC last year but I think that car sold.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:02 PM
MattUF
Racer

It's being sold through a dealer, I'm sure y'all have seen it since it's been up for sale for a while now. Do people still make the bolster covers for the bucket seats? I've found some old threads about them but can't find anything online currently.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Abbett
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have looked at this Spyder online and contacted the owner about the Cayman R he also has listed. It was the strangest thing as the dealer is in So. Cal. but the R is in Massachusetts and was purchased from Shift a couple years ago. The pictures of the R were taken before it was sold to the east cost owner and the dealer hasn't seen the car since yet he says he can vouch for it's condition. The whole thing was strange and I moved on and bought a CPO Cayman R from Arizona.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 PM
MattUF
Racer

That is weird. The Spyder is in CA at Shift, and it was PPI'ed at Hergesheimer right down the road. Sent the PPI info to a friend who is a service manager at a Porsche dealer and he said to buy with confidence.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Abbett
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Read my post again...Reading comprehension matters. The Spyder is at Shift. He also has a Cayman R listed which is not there and he hasn't seen the car in years, also the pictures posted of the R were taken before it was sold years ago.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 PM
MattUF
Racer

Originally Posted by Abbett
Read my post again...Reading comprehension matters. The Spyder is at Shift. He also has a Cayman R listed which is not there and he hasn't seen the car in years, also the pictures posted of the R were taken before it was sold years ago.
I agree, reading comprehension does matter.

I understood that the first time. I was simply saying that, unlike the Cayman R, the Spyder is indeed in CA.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:25 AM
tq.3z
Pro

Originally Posted by MattUF
I have the suction mount so that works! What does the mount attach to?

Thanks! I'm actually picking up a white one, 6 speed with buckets It's in Laguna Hills.
Mount on the area between the roll hoops, or with the top down mount it to the rear decklid.

What day are you picking the car up? I'm super close to you - you should hit up some local roads before you head home with her. Would be a shame if you didn't enjoy the crest at least while you were here and enjoyed a nice meal in LA.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 AM
MattUF
Racer

Mount on the area between the roll hoops, or with the top down mount it to the rear decklid.

What day are you picking the car up? I'm super close to you - you should hit up some local roads before you head home with her. Would be a shame if you didn't enjoy the crest at least while you were here and enjoyed a nice meal in LA.
I'm flying in the morning of July 4th...definitely interested in any local roads that we may be able to sample before hitting the road. Since the drive to Texas isn't too long relatively speaking we have the luxury of being able to take our time heading back over a few days.

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder GoPro Mount & Washing Questions