Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 987 Spyder modifications?

Are there any "required" modifications for the 987 Spyder? I generally don't modify my cars, but I was thinking more along the lines of other OEM parts that might be beneficial. I think I've heard of some people fitting a GT3 master cylinder for improved brake feel. Is that true? Are there any other "minimalist" modifications that are a good idea?

edit: The one option my spyder didn't come with is a PSE, which I kind of miss from my 981 CS. I'm not sure I want to go aftermarket for an exhaust, however.

Last edited by ToasterThief; 06-07-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 468 Posts

PSE is definitely one of the mods worth doing. Honestly Porsche should have never released this car with the stock exhaust, it’s simply too quiet. Used PSE do pop up on occasion.

The GT3 master cylinder is one of the other mods although I haven’t done it yet. I likely will when I need to have some brake work done which won’t be for a while. This alleaviates the mushy brake pedal that you get under hard braking.

The only other mod to consider is the shifter. Either going to a GT3 shifter or a short shifter will improve the overall feel of the shifter and take away the plasticky feel of the stock one. If you already have the short shifter then you’re all set.

Beyond that there’s discussion about adding the chassis bracing in front which was stock on the 911 but never fitted to the Boxsters. This is a simple bolt on that is suppose to stiffen the strut towers. I haven’t done this yet either but it’s next on the list as it doesn’t really add weight and can only help.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:14 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Can't imagine mine without PSE. With PDK, I'd argue a tune is worth it, and certainly a steering wheel w/proper paddles.

I must have the best stock brakes ever because I just have not seen the need for a firmer pedal.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:20 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

In no order, the mods I would absolutely have to have:

Exhaust (PSE or aftermarket with switch)
GT3 Master Cylinder.
Numeric Racing Shifter

Reasons:
The exhaust is easy so I'll do the other two.
1,) The brake feel in canyon driving is pretty vague from the factory. This is not a complaint about stopping force or anything like that - but the level of feel in regards to bite and modulation are SIGNIFICANTLY improved with the GT3 master. This is a no brainer mod that anyone who enjoys driving should not overlook.
2.) The shifter on the car from the factory is prone to failure and is vague. The Numeric solves just about everything and you can get silicone fittings from them to keep the noise essentially at stock levels. You shift on the vehicle more than anything else, make them all count!

Everything else is just a luxury. header/tune make the car much more enjoyable as well but they're not what I would consider "necessary".

The oem suspension is great but there is a feeling of vagueness and large sweeper corners are the designs weak point. Some sway bars can help tune this habit to your desired result and I would say you'd have the perfect road car for any pleasure use.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Cheap and easy upgrade... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKGT3FRS.html
Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 74 Posts

I have PSE on mine and I think I have turned it on once in seven plus years. Front tower brace pros and cons because the 897 Spyder has basically a double front firewall surrounding the battery shelf.
mods I’ve made, trailer hitch doesn’t count. GT3 front lower control arms allowing more front camber. Better than camber plates as you widen track . I run 1.5. Negative camber up front an2.0 in the rear. Without GT3 lower control arm you are lucky to get 0.7 negative camber up front which restricts handling. I have also gone to Bilstein coil overs to allow corner balancing . If you do not have PDK you only have two front radiators. Porsche makes a kit for a third and the fittings are already on the car. Lastly grills to protect the front radiators. I have also added a real oil pressure gauge
I do think for normal brakes the GT3 master cylinder is a nice upgrade, I have PCCBs and could not be happier, stop quick, no fade and significantly lighter rotors thus reducing un sprung weight and improving handling ..... very happy long term Spyder owner
Old 06-07-2019, 07:39 PM
MezgerFan
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I have PSE on mine and I think I have turned it on once in seven plus years...
Interesting, in my nearly four years I don't think I've ever driven without it turned on. I think it is a must.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:00 PM
dragon993
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I have PSE on mine and I think I have turned it on once in seven plus years. Front tower brace pros and cons because the 897 Spyder has basically a double front firewall surrounding the battery shelf.
mods I’ve made, trailer hitch doesn’t count. GT3 front lower control arms allowing more front camber. Better than camber plates as you widen track . I run 1.5. Negative camber up front an2.0 in the rear. Without GT3 lower control arm you are lucky to get 0.7 negative camber up front which restricts handling. I have also gone to Bilstein coil overs to allow corner balancing . If you do not have PDK you only have two front radiators. Porsche makes a kit for a third and the fittings are already on the car. Lastly grills to protect the front radiators. I have also added a real oil pressure gauge
I do think for normal brakes the GT3 master cylinder is a nice upgrade, I have PCCBs and could not be happier, stop quick, no fade and significantly lighter rotors thus reducing un sprung weight and improving handling ..... very happy long term Spyder owner
What do you mean regarding the double firewall on a spyder is that a spyder specific thing and does it mean the extra front bracing is not necessary?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian993
What do you mean regarding the double firewall on a spyder is that a spyder specific thing and does it mean the extra front bracing is not necessary?
It’s not specific to the Spyder, the entire range of 987’s are constructed the same way. Basically there’s a primary wall that encloses the cabin and then there’s a secondary wall that enclosures the frunk. You can get a pretty clear picture of it from the image below:

Old 06-08-2019, 06:17 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 494 Likes on 318 Posts

^More reason to believe it's not needed to add the front braces/strut brace. Strut brace is really only needed on front engine cars.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 143 Posts

On the GT3 master cylinder, a friend of mine from the track told me he installed it on his Cayman R and didn't like it because it put the brake pedal too high when he squeezed it hard, so he couldn't really heel and toe. Anyone who has installed one have a comment on that, or is my buddy all wet?
Old 06-09-2019, 02:44 PM
j-kite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
On the GT3 master cylinder, a friend of mine from the track told me he installed it on his Cayman R and didn't like it because it put the brake pedal too high when he squeezed it hard, so he couldn't really heel and toe. Anyone who has installed one have a comment on that, or is my buddy all wet?
This hasn't been a problem in my experience with the GT3 MC. Everyone's technique is a bit different, I suppose.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It sounds like the GT3 MC is a potential option, as are the GT3 brake ducts. My car has the Porsche SSK, so I'm not sure I'll do the numeric shifter, but has anyone used the Porsche shifter with the numeric cables?

Exhaust wise, I'm not sure how far I want to move away from stock. I do like the PSE, but I know there are other options.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:49 AM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Numeric cables are in my opinion much more substantial that factory. You may get more noise through the cables though that can be mitigated through grommets.

Soul Performance makes a nice exhaust - mild when low RPM cruising but really opens up when you give it the beans.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:06 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 494 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I can see that as after the GT3 MC, the brake pedal engages much sooner compare to before. But it can be corrected with aftermarket adjustable pedals like the ones they have at Rennline.

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder modifications?