Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Thinking of replacing Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018 | 05:41 PM
rumatt
Intermediate

Default Thinking of replacing Cayman R

I've been a BMW driver forever, and still DD my 2003 330i. A year ago I finally bought my first porsche - a 2012 manual Cayman R. It's an absolutely fantastic car, but it just hasn't clicked 100% for me. The car is so special in many ways so my purist / logical side says I'm being ridiculous and I should keep it forever. But I find myself not enjoying driving it as much as I thought.
  1. The roads where I live are pretty terrible. (NY) The R suspension is not harsh, but on really crappy roads at slow speeds, it rarely feels like the right tool for the job.
  2. My car has the sport seats (not buckets) and while they mostly fit me, they aren't quite perfect. The side bolsters press in a little bit. It's great for aggressive driving but not ideal for just cruising along.
  3. The roads near me are not such that I can drive the car anywhere near it's cornering limits. They're either a) slow roads where you can't see far enough around the corner to go fast without risking killing someone, or b) straight-ish highways.
When I do manage to push the car hard, it's great. But most of the time I can't, and instead I find myself thinking, "I'm driving around on mediocre roads in a track-ready car at 3/10th. This is silly.". That and, "Maybe it's true - it's more fun to drive a slow car fast......."

I keep rotating through the following thought processes:
  1. Stop being a wuss. It's a ridiculously incredible car. Drive it and enjoy it
  2. It's not the right car, try another porsche - something like a 981 with PASM. I love the 14-way seats, and it would be just a tad more cush.
  3. Given where you drive, a sports car isn't for you. Sell it and drive your current cars. Or buy a 2019 Miata, which can be pushed closer to the limits at stay-out-of-jail speeds.
I'm curious if anyone has been through a similar Porsche experience, what they did, and how it ended up for them.
Old 08-02-2018 | 06:57 PM
WAILN6
Racer

I can agree with you on the seats. For whatever reason, the sport seats stick into my lats very uncomfortably where the buckets did not. The buckets are far more difficult to get out of though, particularly on the passenger side if you're short of arm.
I've driven both the R and the standard Cayman S suspension on Denver roads, and S is notably more plush. It did not have the adjustable suspension, but I'm guessing that may be your best compromise. Sell the R to me, and buy yourself a 2012 black edition with the adjustable suspension.
Old 08-02-2018 | 07:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Find a nearby track & take it there. It will all make sense.
Old 08-02-2018 | 07:25 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

^ Agree, take it to a HPDE. How far are you from Watkins Glen? I would love to drive that track some day.
Old 08-02-2018 | 07:38 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Take it out for a DE then trade it in for an S
Old 08-02-2018 | 08:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bigger question is what would you replace it with, a grand tourer? Another sports car wouldn’t offer any improvements over what you have....
Old 08-02-2018 | 09:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

If you're not feeling a Cayman R, that speaks volumes.

• You've had it for a year. There's been plenty of time to figure things out. It's not as though this would be a hasty or rash decision.
  • It doesn't "click" with you. Hey, that's the way it goes sometimes. We don't always jell, even with the most beautiful girl at the dance.
  • It's uncomfortable.
  • You don't live in an area where you can enjoy the car.

I say move on. Life is short. It's a great car, but there are others and one of them will be better suited to you. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2018 | 09:34 PM
vbb
Pro

Sports cars, as much as we rationalize and plan, are emotional decisions, and just because the CR makes sense on paper (and it does) it doesn't mean it's the one for you. You gave it a try, and hopefully you can sell it for near what you paid. I sold my 997.1 TT. For many, that's the dream. Metzger engine, 997 looks, fast as all get out...but it didn't feel all the way right to me. My base 981 feels far more "me" and that's just that. So for you, perhaps there's another P car for you. Heck, possibly you want more of a GT type car, which for you, a 997 Turbo would be a perfect fit. Good luck with the search!
Old 08-02-2018 | 10:34 PM
rumatt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Find a nearby track & take it there. It will all make sense.
I've been to the track a few times many years ago... and a million autocrosses. I'm not really looking to go down that road right now.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Bigger question is what would you replace it with, a grand tourer?
Good question. Modern BMWs are ****. Their electric steering is an abomination. I'm tempted try a 981 but it's possible the correct answer is that I don't really want a sports car and I just don't want to admit it.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
If you're not feeling a Cayman R, that speaks volumes.
Indeed.
Originally Posted by vbb
I sold my 997.1 TT. [...] My base 981 feels far more "me" and that's just that.
I'm intrigued. What do you like about the base 981? I ask because I've actually been thinking that a base 981 might be for me. I've never been a big power guy, it would allow me to wind it out a little more on public roads... I think it'll be more cush than the R.. etc.
Old 08-02-2018 | 11:07 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

What part of NY do you live in ? NYC ?

There are plenty of fun roads right outside NYC.

Bear Mountain, The Gunks, Sussex County NJ, The Poconos, Catskills.

All the roads pictured here are a short drive form the city and can be pretty deserted during a weekday.
Old 08-03-2018 | 12:17 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Jaguar F Type?
Old 08-03-2018 | 01:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe go for a 991 Targa which melds everything together. Great Grand Tourer, Top Off give it a sense of occasion and with PSM you can adjust the suspension to whatever you feel like. With PDK you can easily use it more regularly in the city and still have fun on the backroads.
Old 08-03-2018 | 03:15 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

It sounds like time to move on. A Miata would likely be a good move. I've loved the ones I've had in the past. My last daily driver was a 2013 128i M Sport 6MT. It was fantastic. Can't say enough good about that car. It's seats (gotta get the sports seats!) and suspension are much more comfortable than the 987.2 Cayman S I replaced it with. The 128i M Sport was a load of fun, but with lower limits and a sedate comfortable ride. Still a small light car (weighs the same as my Cayman), good weight distribution, great manual gearbox.

I also have a 997.2 GTS. I wouldn't say a 911 of any flavor is going to do it, based on the original post. Most of the issues in the original post will be magnified with a 911.
Old 08-03-2018 | 10:38 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Well-equipped Base 981.

Miata.

Can't go wrong with either.

I am a huge Miata guy and could go on all day. If you have specific Miata questions feel free to ask.
Old 08-03-2018 | 11:49 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Sounds like you need to first decide what type, if any, toy car you want. If it isn't your CR, sell your CR and buy what you want. After driving Cayman Rs and GT3s, they aren't for me. Too loud, too rough riding, too uncomfortable for what I want. Don't want 911 back seats in my toy car and I prefer mid engine handling. For reference, first pcar was a base 2005 Boxster with a 5 speed. Lots of fun to drive, hydraulic steering, fun to wind up without getting in trouble. Had S envy, traded it for 2007 Cayman S MT. Had GTS envy, special ordered BGTS with the options I wanted. Love this car due to how it is so docile and quiet when I want, but rips when I push the buttons. PASM, PSE, Sport Chrono, PDK paddle shifters, PTV, 18 way sofa seats, alcantara and carbon fiber, yep, that's the ticket for me. Only improvement is maybe PTS and definitely PCCBs, tired of cleaning brake dust, will order them on my next pcar, probably a Spyder. Good luck finding your ticket.

Quick Reply: Thinking of replacing Cayman R