Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 PTS Spyder FS on BAT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

From this other pic it does look like the owner had on a rock station at the time the photos were taken, so Joel and Jamie are right. Just a reference to Peter Gabriel, Peter Frampton, Peter, Paul and Mary, or some other "Peter" artist that was on the radio at the time.

Ok, false alarm! Now let's return to our regularly scheduled program. LOL

Old 07-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It could also be the phone that the car is connected to is labeled “Peter”. I know my car will pop up my phone on the screen when it’s connected.

I’ll have to check to see if it actually pops up on the middle screen. I usually have the screen with the tire pressure monitor showing so I know when my tires are warm and when they’re cold.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Not a lot of movement on this guy, sitting there at $42,250. Should be a good run up to the finish.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

What's your prediction? The yellow PTS car hit $64k, but that car had a full leather interior (dash, doors, console) with deviated stitching, had A/C, and the color "should" be more collectible. I would think that this one missing A/C is a turn-off to half the buying audience, and a full leather kit should be worth something since it makes the car feel far more special. Neither car had PSE or Bixenon though. Radio? Meh...you can add that easily enough. I think I would rather have the option of a/c than the option of music on a drive.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by oilhammer
What's your prediction? The yellow PTS car hit $64k, but that car had a full leather interior (dash, doors, console) with deviated stitching, had A/C, and the color "should" be more collectible. I would think that this one missing A/C is a turn-off to half the buying audience, and a full leather kit should be worth something since it makes the car feel far more special. Neither car had PSE or Bixenon though. Radio? Meh...you can add that easily enough. I think I would rather have the option of a/c than the option of music on a drive.
It's going to be interesting. The mileage on this one is less than the Speed Yellow, in fact at 15K it's barely broken in. It's got the seats, the MT with the SSK. The PSE can easily be added on. It's a driver.

So I personally would not be surprised to see it jump north of 60K. I think it's worth it. But your looking at a guy who jumped on a second Spyder with little regard to mileage or AC. Saw it, loved it, bought it. These are emotional buys.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

The speed yellow was sitting at $45K up until 3:26PM on the day it sold at 4:24 for $64K. It went up $19K in that final stretch. So I'd guess I'd expect a similar ramp. That said the Yellow sold for 86% of the original price... and the build sheet on the silver is only $65K or so. I'd guess it sells for between $56-$60K.

I don't think the full leather is a huge selling point (mine has it, but didn't sway me). The AC is binary - you really can't go without it down here in TX, but up north it may be more appealing given the purist nature of it. Agree on the radio.

I think the speed yellow is really cool, but I'd bet a lot less folks would even consider it vs. silver...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:22 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Interesting that a dealer is bidding on it. Point being- a dealer can't buy at the price point this one will likely hit and still turn much of a profit. If the high end of this car is 60 (and I agree with you on that point) he would need it to sell under 50. Add in BAT fees and there's only a little profit in it to flip to a client at retail 60ish. There are 16 Spyders on autotrader right now, and a few of them in the NE have been sitting for a while at prices less than 60. Rare cars that aren't that rare at all. I would say the market is a bit flooded if you don't mind PDK.

For example: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=482914438&zip=97007&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D97007%26startYear%3D2011%26sortBy%3Dd erivedpriceDESC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2012%2 6modelCodeList%3DBOXSTE%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26searchRadius%3D0&startYea r=2011&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2012&modelCodeList=BOXSTE&mak eCodeList=POR&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=BOXSTE

And: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=BOXSTE
Old 07-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

What's your prediction?
I'll play.

By all rights, and as nice as this car is, it shouldn't bring close to the $67,200 the previous 1-of-4 PTS car brought (of course, it can be argued that the PTS car sold for less than it should have). But I have a feeling the A/C delete is not going to hurt this car, but actually help it. My tea leaves say going forward the market is going to place more value on radio and A/C delete as being in keeping with the spirit of this special car and the price penalty cars have traditionally suffered in the past for having these delete options will begin to evaporate with these cars becoming more highly coveted and bringing a premium. As the market for this car becomes more educated, it will appear on the radar of more die-hard zealots who are attracted to the weight-savings efforts Porsche adopted and want a car that carries that less-is-more mantra to its logical extreme with A/C and radio delete. Not saying this will be the case on other P-cars -- just the 987 Spyder -- and not sure you will see this upward pricing trend materialize on this particular car, but perhaps down the road.

You asked for a prediction. I say it will be bid to $59K and sell for $61,950 with the buyer's premium (if it had radio delete I think it would sell even higher). In the past, I don't think an A/C delete car would bring this much, so it will be interesting to put my theory to the test. Either that, or I'm totally off my rocker, the bidding stalls at $50K, and it doesn't sell due to RNM.

And it looks like the owner's name is Brian -- not Peter
Old 07-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting that a dealer is bidding on it. Point being- a dealer can't buy at the price point this one will likely hit and still turn much of a profit. If the high end of this car is 60 (and I agree with you on that point) he would need it to sell under 50. Add in BAT fees and there's only a little profit in it to flip to a client at retail 60ish. There are 16 Spyders on autotrader right now, and a few of them in the NE have been sitting for a while at prices less than 60. Rare cars that aren't that rare at all. I would say the market is a bit flooded if you don't mind PDK.

For example: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=482914438&zip=97007&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D97007%26startYear%3D2011%26sortBy%3Dd erivedpriceDESC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2012%2 6modelCodeList%3DBOXSTE%26makeCodeList%3DPOR%26searchRadius%3D0&startYea r=2011&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2012&modelCodeList=BOXSTE&mak eCodeList=POR&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=BOXSTE
There are several factors that affect sales of Spyders specifically, they include having the right options, not being track driven extensively and not having accident history. I follow them pretty closely and from what I have seen and heard many have had paintwork already. Historically PDK and non bucket cars have always sold for less and have had less demand. Seems PDK cars may be coming around but not having buckets definitely still impacts the price by about 5 - $8k depending on transmission. Also note that there’s several Spyder’s listed that sold long ago and dealers haven’t removed the listings.

If you’re looking for a really nice one with the right options they are indeed rare. If you’ve come across one that meets your requirements why not make an offer on it. For reference many Spyders sell privately without ever being advertised and most of these sell in the $59 - $70K range and never get recorded publicly. The ones that I’ve seen languish generally have a story.
I bet this one goes for $60K before fees.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 07-27-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:31 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Yeah, previous owner's name is all over the documentation they posted. If I was the last owner, I would be ticked that the internet could get my name, address, and email.
What's with the paint meter readings? Subjective, but that would appear to me that the paint is a bit thin like its been over detailed, especially on the fuel door.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

^oilhammer, what is the paint thickness that would not suggest over-detailing? What's the typical Porsche paint thickness range out of the factory?
Old 07-27-2018, 12:44 PM
WAILN6
Racer

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have burned paint off of high spots with a buffer. Doh! I can only go by what the all-knowing interweb claims as truth, and we know how that goes.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nt-levels.html
Old 07-27-2018, 12:50 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have burned paint off of high spots with a buffer. Doh! I can only go by what the all-knowing interweb claims as truth, and we know how that goes.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nt-levels.html
Thanks! That was useful. As annoying as usual to be converting mils, inches, oz, lbs, etc. into standard metric used by the rest of the world.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

$58K plus buyers premium on the Silver Spyder, I was off a couple thousand.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
$58K plus buyers premium on the Silver Spyder, I was off a couple thousand.
I was off $1,013, so we were close.

I'm having mixed feelings. On the one hand I think almost $61K after buyer's premium might be a decent showing for an A/C delete car. On the other hand, I still don't understand why 987 Spyders aren't bringing more $$$. I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that my opinion of their value is simply over-inflated and not shared by the market/majority. It's tough to reach any other conclusion, right? I keep thinking the market is going to come to its senses and wake up, but maybe that's exactly what I need to do.

Quick Reply: 987 PTS Spyder FS on BAT