Spec Boxster vs. Miata

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:05 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Hi all --

Can other folks who have run a 986 Boxster comment on running costs?
If I ran in 12 DE days/year, what would I likely spend?

Audipwr's suggested $1500/day sounds extraordinary high, certainly more than I'd be willing to spend. I'm currently running a heavier, higher HP car and got 5 weekends out of a set of PSS tires. I'm driving 7/10ths, but still... 1/2 of tires a weekend scare the crap out of me...

I've found a nice (race winning) Spec Boxster for $20K. I can't decide if I'm trying to talk myself out of it, or into it. But if running costs are truly 2-3x an E36 M3, I think I've got my answer....
DE will be cheaper. No reason a set of tires couldn't last 12 DE days. When racing you need the fastest tires you can put on the car which means more sets. Brakes will last a bit longer also as your not thresh hold braking every corner. You could skip some fluid changes as your not running the car as hard also. My racing costs are more like $1500 a weekend personally myself, not a day. I imagine you could be close to half that cost per weekend if only DE'ing the car.

If you have contact with a SPB racer, you might be able to make that number even lower by buying/getting his take off tires which typically could still be run in a DE for several days and could be bought for pennies on the dollar.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Hi all --

Audipwr's suggested $1500/day sounds extraordinary high, certainly more than I'd be willing to spend. I'm currently running a heavier, higher HP car and got 5 weekends out of a set of PSS tires. I'm driving 7/10ths, but still... 1/2 of tires a weekend scare the crap out of me...

I've found a nice (race winning) Spec Boxster for $20K. I can't decide if I'm trying to talk myself out of it, or into it. But if running costs are truly 2-3x an E36 M3, I think I've got my answer....
Is $1500 a day for a DE including an $700 dinner?
DE costs $300 per day, fuel $100 max, I would do 6 DE's on one set of NT01's (don't need RR's for DE, but even those I would do a max of 3 sets per year), so that equates to $200 per DE tire wear figuring $2400 for two sets. Add $100 for Motel room if necessary and another $100 for incidentals..

A "race winning" SPB for $20k?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
A "race winning" SPB for $20k?
Race winning or "DE winning"? Big difference........
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Upcoming festival of speed

Entrance fees - 700
Garage - 175
Set of tires 1,000 (not including toyo Bucks offset)
Fuel - 400 (including towing)
Hotel - 300
Brake pads - 300
Alignment check - 300
Tow car consumables at 50 cents / mile - 500
Oil - 100
Half a gearbox oil change - 100
1/4 a brake fluid change - 25
1/5 winter maintenance (Bearings / control arms that are timed out, other misc) - 600

Three days long

1,366 per day

That's before an off / a tranny problem / general stuff which at least always happens to me
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all --

$1500 a weekend maybe for a race weekend where you're only using the tires for one weekend. That's a majority of the cost right there, the RR will last longer than a single weekend.

For $20k I'd jump on that SPB and not look back. I drove mine for the first time this past weekend and I know without a doubt I made the right choice.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

For comparison my friend running a 996 cup is running around 4x that rate - he used 5k of just TIRES last trip out I only DIY 50% of my stuff so alignment and winter Maint you could get cheaper if you DIY everything

This is what it takes at least for me - would love to hear how to cut costs

I'm actually considering adding light track side support which will add 500/day more to costs in order to not be sweaty distracted everytime getting into car
Old 03-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all --

A potential big expense is an engine failure and to a lesser degree the gearbox. These are not uncommon in the SPB world. Consider the engine history of the car you are looking at. At that price I imagine the engine is original (not rebuilt) so it is a crap shoot how long it will last. Does the car you are looking at have a deep sump or accusump? How about an IMS bearing upgrade? These are ways to improve your chances, but add to the cost.

It would be worth considering engine reliability and replacement/rebuild cost in your comparison with the bmw.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my Spec Boxster to the track for DE days. It's the same cost per weekend as any other car for DE. Hotel, food, gas, entry fee--these are the biggest part of the expense, and the same regardless of what car you bring.

Audipwr1 is talking about racing--that's a completely different story. He has an enclosed trailer and a pickup truck. He uses a set of tires per weekend. He changes all the fluid before each race. He carries a spare transmission.

I wouldn't worry about driving a Spec Boxster to a DE weekend. If you can afford to do it in your previous car, you can afford to do it in a Boxster.

In the PCA, you'll be about the slowest DE car out there, waving all the 911's by. But it's fun, and you'll learn a lot trying to keep up. With some nice tires like the RA1's, you can probably carry more speed through the corners than most street cars. Then they pull away from you... Watch your mirrors.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Holmberg
I drive my Spec Boxster to the track for DE days. It's the same cost per weekend as any other car for DE. Hotel, food, gas, entry fee--these are the biggest part of the expense, and the same regardless of what car you bring.

Audipwr1 is talking about racing--that's a completely different story. He has an enclosed trailer and a pickup truck. He uses a set of tires per weekend. He changes all the fluid before each race. He carries a spare transmission.

I wouldn't worry about driving a Spec Boxster to a DE weekend. If you can afford to do it in your previous car, you can afford to do it in a Boxster.

In the PCA, you'll be about the slowest DE car out there, waving all the 911's by. But it's fun, and you'll learn a lot trying to keep up. With some nice tires like the RA1's, you can probably carry more speed through the corners than most street cars. Then they pull away from you... Watch your mirrors.
Greg, first off you need to join us for a race!!

Second - I dont have a truck or spare tranny (yet!) but yes its a slippery slope.

I thought OP was talking about racing, DE is much cheaper
Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, don't do this, please.
Just stop.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:23 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Guys, don't do this, please. Just stop.
Lol hear u
Old 03-25-2016, 02:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Nothing that's worth worth doing is cheap, when you really do the math.

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster vs. Miata