Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Calling all SpecBoxers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a wannabe - I've got a 99 Boxster now as my dual-purpose street and DE car and plan to build it toward Spec Boxster over time. I remember the days of Brad Roberts' site and all the information there - it would be great if we could replicate that on RL or at least centralize and publicize the rules discussions.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Spec Boxster racer and multiple car builder here.

I don't know the details of the current rules rift, but have plenty of rule issues of my own. Not just the general rules, but the actual literature in them is poor IMO. Grey area and contradicting rules are hard to enforce.

Started to build my first car in May of 2010 and missed out on the original SpecBox site of Brad's. Tried putting up a lot of information on my build just to get some more info out there, although I skipped the RL forum because I work at a shop and figured I would get myself into trouble without putting up some advert $. I think it would have been great to have a centralized site with some actual traffic.

Leaving the specBox class at the end of this year and using the chassis for a GT (GTS) power to weight class with a Boxster S 3.2L and trans. But, I will likely still be involved in building and maintaining the cars for the future as well as being involved in the rules process here on the west coast. I have been told that the Porsche Owner's Club and Porsche Racing Club will be focused on keeping the same rule set so we can compete across California with one another. Committees will likely be formed soon.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Subscribed. Have heard some rumours of changes for next year (tires?) but would really appreciate a centralized online discussion forum.....
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone have a detailed build sheet readily available that they are willing to share? I'd like to just get an idea about the costs of a build, including what one would reasonable expect to get in the part-out of the donor car (assuming very low mileage 97-99 car with good convertible top, seats, hvac, spare tire, mufflers, etc).
Old 11-29-2011, 09:47 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

PM sent
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99 Boxster was the 1st Spec Boxster logbooked by PCA. Since that time, March 2008 I believe the rules have been a model of stability, with only minimal revisions that have kept the class growing. The only changes to my car has been the addition of 8.5 wheels to run square, of which I promoted after running the 1st season on 225 fronts, it doesn't make the cars faster, however it makes it much easier to manage tires and equipment and has proven to be economically beneficial. The recent RA-1 allowance by PCA is a non-issue in my opinion, many drivers have expressed that is makes the cars easier to drive.
Any racers considering a great bang for the buck/performance Porsche platform should have few reservations with respect to stability. I believe this year the biggest new change is to allow lexan windshields, hardly a change of significance. My car also has a NASA logbook and I have raced with their organization in TX with no issues. The car still runs awesome, I do have IMS and accu-sump and the gearbox Has been in the car since 2008, car has had no mechanical DNFs since 2009.
The fields Are good sized and the racing is incredibly tight, talk with folks that have raced these cars for a while and I believe you will have a better appreciation of the cars, their capabilities, and their track record.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Someday wannabe here....
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I've taken the time to go back over the rules from the different sanctioning bodies (some have yet to post 2012 but hopefully consistent) and the only substantive difference is the option to run square up front, and the alternative tires that were allowed for 2011 shortages. That's pretty much a common platform I'm hoping that the disbanding of a "one spec box" idea doesn't allow it to wander off in different directions.

Just as a matter of convenience would it be best to ask for a forum under the "Performance & Competition" banner like the cup car category? Or just post here? One thought is since there are currently a few Porsche Spec series that do often share common issues should it be "Porsche Spec Racing"? "986/996 spec racing" ? or just "SpecBox" class and let everyone fend for themselves. It was interesting to see the Cupcar forum lie dormant for a long time before it got going...

There are good conversations/questions starting back up maybe in time to keep the 2012 rules stable...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea of a spec boxster forum on RL. Call it neutral ground, national meeting place, whatever. Let's get the drivers together, document builds, share info, and talk through any issues/nominations.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
I've taken the time to go back over the rules from the different sanctioning bodies (some have yet to post 2012 but hopefully consistent) and the only substantive difference is the option to run square up front, and the alternative tires that were allowed for 2011 shortages. That's pretty much a common platform I'm hoping that the disbanding of a "one spec box" idea doesn't allow it to wander off in different directions.

Just as a matter of convenience would it be best to ask for a forum under the "Performance & Competition" banner like the cup car category? Or just post here? One thought is since there are currently a few Porsche Spec series that do often share common issues should it be "Porsche Spec Racing"? "986/996 spec racing" ? or just "SpecBox" class and let everyone fend for themselves. It was interesting to see the Cupcar forum lie dormant for a long time before it got going...

There are good conversations/questions starting back up maybe in time to keep the 2012 rules stable...
I personally would like to see it as a Porsche Spec Racing or 986/996 Spec forum, where issues relating to multiple Porsche Spec classes could be discussed. It would also serve a purpose of letting the SpecBox and Spec996 crowds watch what is going on in the classes and learn from each other.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
n2deep
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I race #299 in CA.

I'd like to see Brad's site recreated.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I personally would like to see it as a Porsche Spec Racing or 986/996 Spec forum, where issues relating to multiple Porsche Spec classes could be discussed. It would also serve a purpose of letting the SpecBox and Spec996 crowds watch what is going on in the classes and learn from each other.
I agree
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Globe's got the right idea, the platforms and class goals have too much in common not to share a common venue.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:06 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

^^^+1
Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

+1

Quick Reply: Calling all SpecBoxers...