Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Cost of an SPB Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:33 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by J Mills
Tahoe, do you have a build thread? I’m confident I can do everything but weld the cage, I enlisted help for that on my last build. I’m eager to get involved in Porsche W2W racing and between SPB and SPC, with the likely path forward to be building the car myself for either class. It would be great to see how much effort there is to unfit one of these for racing. Also, what’s the best way to get in touch with the NorCal crowd? It would be great to get involved!

Thanks!
I don’t know that the SPC would be significantly more expensive to build over an SPB, donor car and suspension cost aside, but I suspect that the running cost will be a step change up. Those with actual firsthand experience (such as Todd, who’s already posted here) can chime in, but SPB will already be way more expensive than you’re currently envisioning and SPC will be on a while ‘nother level from that.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Tahoe, do you have a build thread? I’m confident I can do everything but weld the cage, I enlisted help for that on my last build. I’m eager to get involved in Porsche W2W racing and between SPB and SPC, with the likely path forward to be building the car myself for either class. It would be great to see how much effort there is to unfit one of these for racing.
Thanks!
You can find builds on this site as well as on 986forums. There have also been some pretty good deals on used cars in the past few months.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:21 PM
J Mills
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
You can find builds on this site as well as on 986forums. There have also been some pretty good deals on used cars in the past few months.
Lemming,

i saw one go for $15 recently that looked like an absolute steal! I’ve been watching a few others in the low 20s that I need to see in person as well.

I am currently planning the next few years and am debating selling a time trial car I build up as I shift more to W2W which I got absolutely sold on after a few budget endurance races. The biggest issue with those has been scheduling challenges for our team, so I’m interested in making the shift to solo events. I daily drive a non-987 Cayman now and love the mid-engine platform, so hoping to bring that world to the track.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:06 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, what’s the best way to get in touch with the NorCal crowd? It would be great to get involved
The NorCal spec boxsters race with the PCA Golden Gate Region, http://pca-ggr.org Check out the calendar, then come out to an event at Thunderhill, Sonoma Raceway, or Laguna Seca, and meet the group. They communicate via a "Secret Group" on Facebook. They'll add you once they know you. I've mentioned to them that they need a visible presence on the Internet, because right now it appears that there are no Spec Boxster in NorCal! In fact, it's a pretty good-sized group. They get parts discounts and support from BR Racing in Los Gatos. http://www.brrperformance.com

By the way, I've got a Spec Boxster for sale in the Bay Area, if you're interested. https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1013583-spec-boxster-spb-race-car.html

Greg
Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 PM
BRracing
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

This is Bruce from BRracing in Los Gatos, CA....Northern CA, Silicon Valley.
We have about 12-15 SpecBox that we support.
We just bought a very well built used SpecBox from the East Coast, and was delivered this week.
We have another car that is being built by VALI in So CA. That will be coming next month.

Happy to chat about the group, the calendar.
The group here in No CA is in our view one of the nicest, most friendly, social groups...yet, we have some amazing racers.

Let us know how we can help.

Bruce
BRracing
408-356-1515
Old 11-27-2018, 07:03 PM
J Mills
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, thanks for the info. I definitely plan to attend a few events to get to know the group.

Bruce, thank you for the offer for help. I believe we may have met briefly at Rennsport. I'll reach out this week or next to talk about the Boxsters you have in stock and set up support.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

Welcome, Josh.

Tim

Quick Reply: Cost of an SPB Build