Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Cost of an SPB Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Cost of an SPB Build

According to Winding Road, expect to pay $40K+ to build a basic car. Great article.

https://www.windingroad.com/articles...-spec-boxster/
Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
According to Winding Road, expect to pay $40K+ to build a basic car. Great article.

I read that before doing my build. Now that I’m close to the end of it I’d say it’s a pretty good take. I’d also say that while $40k is a good baseline budget for a normal car, one could fairly easily choose to go up or down by $15k by based upon the completeness of the build and by optionally doing some of the labor. Also PSS9 availability is nil right now.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also came up with about $40,000. Here's my spreadsheet of parts. This does not include labor.

And then there are the operating costs. For spec Boxster, I calculated that tires + engine + gearbox + fuel + brake pads + rotors is about $1,133 per weekend ($142 per session, or $340 per hour). Here's my operational costs spreadsheet for a variety of racing classes.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the link!

FWIW, I think $40K is good estimate for a full build with a cheap donor car. Just the parts for my SPB cost right at $20K. This includes all the mechanical stuff (suspension, IMS, clutch, etc), exhaust, seats, fire, 2 extra sets of wheels, quick release/steering wheel, a top and the other usually goodies. My cage was over 6500, but it included all the install of fire, electrical, cool suit, window nets, etc etc. So, without the actual car cost and without any labor (other than the cage labor) my build was over $26K. If you had a 5K donor car, you'd probably still be under $40K after labor costs are added in. My car was a street car convert, so the car cost was a little more.

One thing to note is that the article says that SPBs [edit] are 1-3 seconds slower are only 1-3 seconds faster than a Miata. But this is only true when the SPB runs Toyo RRs (those pesky Miatas run much faster Hoosiers). When you put Hoosiers on the SPB, it's a few more seconds faster than the Miata.

-td
Originally Posted by PLNewman

Last edited by himself; 10-25-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:35 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
One thing to note is that the article says that SPBs are 1-3 seconds slower than a Miata. But this is only true when the SPB runs Toyo RRs (those pesky Miatas run much faster Hoosiers). When you put Hoosiers on the SPB, it's a few more seconds faster than the Miata.

-td
I had never realized that, thanks for pointing it out. I usually run with NASA, so Hoosiers are an option there.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the tracks I'm familiar with, Laguna Seca, Sonoma, and Thunderhill, the track records for Spec Boxster are all faster than those for Spec Miata. For example, the SCCA just finished running their "Runoffs" national championships at Sonoma, where the fastest Spec Miata race lap was 1:55.278. The fastest Spec Boxsters run about 1:52 at Sonoma on Toyo RR's.

Spec Boxsters can run in SCCA class T3, in which case they can use the stickier Hoosiers. At the Runoffs, the fastest T3 race lap was 1:49.610, or 5.668 seconds a lap faster then Spec Miata. No Boxsters ran T3 in the Runoffs this year, but Todd Lamb competed last year, and qualified in P2, so the Boxster is very competitive in T3. So the Hoosiers would probably be worth at least 2 seconds at Sonoma compared to the Toyos, and the Spec Boxster would be over five seconds faster then Spec Miata at Sonoma on the same tires. That's a lot.

On the Toyo's, Spec Boxster is also cheaper to run, since the tires last longer than the Hoosiers on the Miatas, and the Boxster engine also lasts longer. $1,133 per weekend versus $1,329.

So, bottom line, Spec Boxster goes faster for less money than a Spec Miata.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

You had me at “less money”. Ha!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:46 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Holmberg
At the tracks I'm familiar with, Laguna Seca, Sonoma, and Thunderhill, the track records for Spec Boxster are all faster than those for Spec Miata. For example, the SCCA just finished running their "Runoffs" national championships at Sonoma, where the fastest Spec Miata race lap was 1:55.278. The fastest Spec Boxsters run about 1:52 at Sonoma on Toyo RR's.

Spec Boxsters can run in SCCA class T3, in which case they can use the stickier Hoosiers. At the Runoffs, the fastest T3 race lap was 1:49.610, or 5.668 seconds a lap faster then Spec Miata. No Boxsters ran T3 in the Runoffs this year, but Todd Lamb competed last year, and qualified in P2, so the Boxster is very competitive in T3. So the Hoosiers would probably be worth at least 2 seconds at Sonoma compared to the Toyos, and the Spec Boxster would be over five seconds faster then Spec Miata at Sonoma on the same tires. That's a lot.

On the Toyo's, Spec Boxster is also cheaper to run, since the tires last longer than the Hoosiers on the Miatas, and the Boxster engine also lasts longer. $1,133 per weekend versus $1,329.

So, bottom line, Spec Boxster goes faster for less money than a Spec Miata.
Don't have the exact data but from memory it's the same thing on many east coast tracks. SPB on (slower) Toyos are faster than SM on Hoosiers, at least 1s per minute of lap-time.
BTW, good thread, links, and data!
Old 10-25-2018, 09:35 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Having driven both SM and SPB extensively (as well as built top level cars for both), the SPB is faster on every track even with Toyos.

I suspect WRR was referring to a NC or ND MX-5 where the times are more similar.

We build customer SPB's for $45k, including a full AIM data system and all the important bits for reliability and performance. This is a car that can compete at the front of the SPB field. You need to start with a low mile donor (under 60k miles ideally) so you can skip the engine internals. If you have a 90k+ mile motor add $10k to get into the bottom end of the motor and replace a lot more parts.

You can have a car built for less if you start to compromise the build quality (perhaps a starter car). Or you can do all the work yourself and save about $15k in labor.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 10-25-2018, 04:14 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

The article actually said that Boxsters were 3 sec faster then Miatas not slower.

Does NASA still have a Spec Boxster class?
Old 10-25-2018, 04:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
The article actually said that Boxsters were 3 sec faster then Miatas not slower.

Doh! Yeah, that's a typo. Should have said, only 1-3 seconds faster. But the rest is true. The SPB is only 1-3 seconds faster with RR's but much faster with Hoosiers.

-td
Old 10-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
Having driven both SM and SPB extensively (as well as built top level cars for both), the SPB is faster on every track even with Toyos.

I suspect WRR was referring to a NC or ND MX-5 where the times are more similar.

We build customer SPB's for $45k, including a full AIM data system and all the important bits for reliability and performance. This is a car that can compete at the front of the SPB field. You need to start with a low mile donor (under 60k miles ideally) so you can skip the engine internals. If you have a 90k+ mile motor add $10k to get into the bottom end of the motor and replace a lot more parts.

You can have a car built for less if you start to compromise the build quality (perhaps a starter car). Or you can do all the work yourself and save about $15k in labor.
I can attest as I recently bought your prior personal SPB and it is fast!! Thx!
Old 10-30-2018, 08:14 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles

On NASA I was told it’s a dormant class. Not sure what that means. It seems they will class you SPB upon request and they don’t update the NASA SPB rules.

I like the idea of running with the bigger fields in local races, so power to weight classes can also be of interest. GTS2 is a natural fit for SPB, and ST4 allows a bit more power to weight. Both allow Hoosiers or whatever you like. For ST4, $1000 for an eBay equal length header plus a (second) tuned ECU would add a bit of easily reversed power.

A full NASA build ST/GTS Boxster could also upgrade the shocks/springs and add an LSD.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Garage built

As previously mentioned you can build them yourself and sub out just the important parts like the cage. Depending on how resourceful you want to get you can have data and a fast car that is reliable for less than $25k. I have just finished my 3rd season of racing with my garage built car, self maintained and campaigned. Out of 42 races over the 3 years the garage built car has a 93% podium rate and a 60% win rate. West coast champion last two years and P2 in nation just behind Drake. So for those still willing to be in the spirit of budget racing it can be done. Just want to insure we do not scare people off thinking they need to buy a $45K car to race SPB and win. With that said Todd's cars are beautiful and reliable as I now race one that is very quick with a driver that is only getting faster. It really comes down to the old saying of "Spend time save $ or Save time spend $" the spirit of SPB racing is that a pro built car and a garage car can still go head to head and they do which makes this class special.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 AM
J Mills
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tahoe, do you have a build thread? I’m confident I can do everything but weld the cage, I enlisted help for that on my last build. I’m eager to get involved in Porsche W2W racing and between SPB and SPC, with the likely path forward to be building the car myself for either class. It would be great to see how much effort there is to unfit one of these for racing. Also, what’s the best way to get in touch with the NorCal crowd? It would be great to get involved!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Cost of an SPB Build