Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Spec Boxster Project Worth

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Duane Davis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Boxster Project Worth

Long story short. I pick up a high mileage running Boxster with plans of building a Spec Boxster. I stripped the car and started working on the wire harness. Wife got pregnant so now I dont have money or time to work on the Boxster. Im thinking of selling it and focusing on trackdays in my 997 for a while. How much would something like this be worth. If anyone's interested please let me know.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:31 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Not sure about the value, but I built most of my car with an infant in the house, so it’s possible. My advice would be to not make any decisions based on how you think things might turn out, because you’re probably wrong (assuming, of course, that this is your first). I sold my 997 to help fund the SPB habit, but you might find more value in having a dual-purpose car that you can DD and track...personal choice

Oh, and congrats!
Old 05-01-2018, 07:30 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

The market for a partially stripped/gutted car is a very small market, that’s the biggest issue.

How many hours of shop rate equivalent work have you done? And did you put much of the SPB class or general race car build parts into the car?

If the answer is not very many hours/parts it will probably sell for less than an equivalent used car. You have a small market and why buy your abandoned project instead of picking a fresh street car? Some will shy away wondering if you found an issue. But if you’ve put in quite a bit of sweat and/or parts and the work is done well, you’ve created some value... you’ll still have to either patiently wait around for the right buyer or price it aggressively.

On the other hand, I have a now two year old boy. Working on the race car project from time to time has been very good therapy for dad as the boy has been growing, and now he loves coming out to “help” by doing things like wearing sockets as rings, wiping grease on his face and clothes, and banging wrenches on things. Good photos lol. Driving a cheap non-DD car on the track has been a great thing too. I lost my engine, and I still drive my 911 to work. Since it’s an old Boxster and not a modern 911, even a major issue like that is reasonably affordable to fix, and I can make easy progress with the build since the engine is coming out.

You could also offer on places like SCCA, GRM, PCA, and NASA forums and Facebook groups to trade it for something like a track or race ready Miata or 944 with similar estimated market value or with cash on one side. That gives you a track car instead of a project.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Duane Davis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Im probably just getting a little impatient as the project is not moving fast enough. After talking it over with the wife. Im going to hold on to it for a while. Thanks
Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Good choice. Right now it's worth about what a season of SPB racing will cost you.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:28 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane Davis
Thanks for the advice. Im probably just getting a little impatient as the project is not moving fast enough. After talking it over with the wife. Im going to hold on to it for a while. Thanks
I get that completely and can empathize. My project is on a much longer time scale than it started on. I had to cut my initial annual car development budget in half and as of this weekend I have a blown engine I’ll need to replace. The timeline seems to keep growing! But I also talked with my wife and decided to double down. I’m enjoying making it MY race car.

Best of luck on the build - you’ll have fun times ahead!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Donor cars are about $3k...so factor in a little labor minus the PITA factor of loose parts everywhere to sort thru and I'd say you're better off keeping it.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster Project Worth