Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Secondary Air Injection Removal - is it this easy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:21 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Secondary Air Injection Removal - is it this easy?

Looking for some direction on SAI removal on my 99. Searching RL and other forums, it seems that I just need to remove all of the below. I understand I will get a CEL, but is it as simple as just pulling all of the below? Or does any of it need to stay, get capped off, re-routed? I've ordered the block off plates and gaskets.

Thanks in advance,

Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

I bought the block-off kit, but so far I just removed the pump and capped off the line running to it. If I recall right, the block-off kit actually is a pain to install and capping the line accomplishes the same thing. I’ll install the block off kit he next time my motor comes out.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Thanks PG

You look relatively local to me (I'm near Dulles), any chance I can pick your brain?

Also - (bogarting my own thread) did you pull the charcoal canister too, and if so did you do anything with the lines in the front fender well?

Mattt
Old 02-24-2018, 03:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Interested to follow this.

I have the block off plates and read up a bit on what threads I could find but I haven’t gotten to this project yet. I’m not excited about the fact that the CEL would no longer be of much use but I’d like to drop all unnecessary weight within the confines of the rules.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 PM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I removed all of the stuff in the picture and installed the factory plates/gaskets last fall. The part of the job that I found to be the biggest pain was removing the hard pipe between the two 5s in the picture. There's not good clearance to get it out. I wound up cutting the pipe with a bolt cutter and eventually wiggling it out.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

So there is nothing left that needs to be connected to the throttle body once all of the diagram is removed? I know (at least on my 99), there is a little vacuum pipe under the throttle cable that connects downward which I think has something to do with the FPR? But is that a completely different circuit not connected to this graphic?

Also - for the block off plates (as mine are still being shipped) is it correct that they go where the two #5s are located?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:53 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

The hole in the throttle plate where the check valve (#7) connects needs to be plugged.

Also, I was able to manufacture my own block off plates by carefully taking a hacksaw to #5. Once you have the flanges cut free from the rest of the tubing, stick some duct tape to the sealing surface and just fill the center hole with JB Weld.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:36 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 134 Posts

We just did this last night, when we get our PIWIS back from its USA rental tour (and our SPB together) we will test to see if we can turn off the pump so you don't get a CEL.

https://rennpart.com/product/seconda...on-delete-kit/

Much easier with engine out. Here is what we did.

1. Remove passenger side intake manifold (~6 bolts), disconnect fuel rail by removing injector clips, electrical connectors, 2 bolts and swing to side. Also a small electrical connector at the rear you need to unplug/unscrew.

2. Remove bank 1 connector tube with a 21mm wrench

3. Remove two bolts securing pump reservoir

4. Remove pump reservoir/check valves including vacuum tubes. Throw in garbage.

5. Remove bank 1 tube (2 bolts).

6. Install cover plates with new gasket (bank 2 shown)

7. Plug hole from removed intake vacuum source.

8. Remove pump from engine bay, tidy wiring, clean intake manifold since you have it out, reinstall manifold/fuel rail, wiring and Wah-la!

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 03-01-2018, 05:24 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Thank you for the great write up!
Old 05-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Good write up. Going try this weekend. Haven't looked closely at this yet, but it looks like the block off plates go where the 5's mount to the engine. Is that correct?

While the intake is off (engine is in the car), anything else I should work on? I have fresh gaskets and will be cleaning out the throttlebody since they were cheap and it's right there.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
Good write up. Going try this weekend. Haven't looked closely at this yet, but it looks like the block off plates go where the 5's mount to the engine. Is that correct?

While the intake is off (engine is in the car), anything else I should work on? I have fresh gaskets and will be cleaning out the throttlebody since they were cheap and it's right there.
There are two block off plates, on the right bank and one on the left bank. One cover goes where the vacuum canister/diaphragm was bolted to the right bank, and the other goes where the crossover tube was bolted onto the left bank.

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection Removal - is it this easy?