Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

2003 Boxster S No Start Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2003 Boxster S No Start Help

Gents, I've got a 987 track car but need some help with the girlfriends 2003 Boxster S. Seems like only the track guys work on their cars so I'm turning to this forum for help diagnosing a no start problem.

Guessing most of the Spec cars are manual but the 2003 Boxster S has the Tiptronic. I've replaced the ignition switch in the steering column and the battery recently (the cables are tight). Now I'm having trouble getting it to start. Turn the key, all is normal but then nothing, no starter, no light dimming, nothing. If I take the key out several times and also put the car in neutral it will start. Completely random at this point. I also did the test procedure on the transmission selector switch as outlined in the Bentley. It tests good. I feel like this is electrical not mechanical. No idea what to check next. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-12-2018, 04:46 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I think most of us racers would prefer not to be working on the cars -- but its done out of necessity or sanity...

Is when it will and when it won't start random with it in neutral?

If so -- seems like a loose wire or a switch that is not contacting well.

When it does start -- does it require moving gear shift -- or just repeated key turns?

Mike
Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 PM
gman3280
Pro

Mike, thanks for the response. It might be insanity right??? haha

So being able to start the car in neutral has ended. It will not start in park or neutral now. No wiggling of the column, key or shifter seems to help. The battery cables are tight as well. Previously just turning the key on and off got it to light off. Now everything is good just that the starter does not engage, similar to when it would start randomly.

Any idea of where to start for the loose wire or switch?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by gman3280
Mike, thanks for the response. It might be insanity right??? haha

So being able to start the car in neutral has ended. It will not start in park or neutral now. No wiggling of the column, key or shifter seems to help. The battery cables are tight as well. Previously just turning the key on and off got it to light off. Now everything is good just that the starter does not engage, similar to when it would start randomly.

Any idea of where to start for the loose wire or switch?

I would check what has changed first...
Do you have more than one key?
There is always a small chance the new ignition switch is flakey.
you might temporarily use the old one -- unless that is why you were replacing -- if that is the case
you issue is elsewhere.

​​​​​​​also there is a very active group at the 986forum.com

Mike
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry to say it, but you might be stuck playing with a test light or volt meter and checking all the necessary connections one by one and zone by zone to isolate a short or failed component. Super tedious but if you are methodical and know what each wire should be doing you’ll find the issue.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:41 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the connection on the back of the ignition switch. Mine was loose and then finally came free. Same type of problems you are having. Also might check immobilizer under driver seat and make sure all connections are tight.

Also sounds similar to the clutch relay switch issue I had in my cayman. I realize yours is a tip, but I’m sure there is a relay switch that tells Ecu that you are in park or neutral. I would find and bypass that relay switch and see if it starts.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 AM
gman3280
Pro

Originally Posted by jaundice
Check the connection on the back of the ignition switch. Mine was loose and then finally came free. Same type of problems you are having. Also might check immobilizer under driver seat and make sure all connections are tight.

Also sounds similar to the clutch relay switch issue I had in my cayman. I realize yours is a tip, but I’m sure there is a relay switch that tells Ecu that you are in park or neutral. I would find and bypass that relay switch and see if it starts.
Winner winner chicken dinner!!! The darn ignition switch was loose!!! The was just changed a few years ago as well. Some blue locktite and I should be good for a while.

Very much appreciate the suggestions!! Thank you
Old 04-16-2018, 12:52 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Classic -- double check what you just touched!

Glad you figured it out.

Mike

Quick Reply: 2003 Boxster S No Start Help