Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Runoffs update - Day 1 of qualifying

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd, I was sorry to see what happened at the Run-offs today. I thought you had a real chance to win--less than half a second off the pole-sitter. Coming into the first turn, you looked to be in a good position. After you were hit, it looked like you were going to recover. Even after you went off course, I thought you were going to get back on and continue. I guess something must've broken. It's too bad. I think yours was the only car taken out.

On the bright side, you showed with your P2 qualifying time that Spec Boxster can be competitive in T3. I hope this inspires more Spec Boxster folks to enter T3 races with the SCCA next year! With the Hoosier tires, Spec Boxster is just as fast as the 350Z's and SpecE46's (and 200 lbs lighter). Not many driver's are as talented as you, of course, but I think they can run up front with the right preparation and set-up.

Greg
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Looked to me like he got hit by both the Nissans. Dicks.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:37 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned on the streaming just in time to see Todd get "Singapored" by the Nissans. To bad as he looked to be very competitive.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:48 PM
Greg Holmberg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the official race results, I see that Charles Hurley in a BMW 330, who had finished third in the provisional results, was disqualified for not leaving racing room. I wonder if this event was what lead to Todd getting bounced off track.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Ron Hines (in the #14 Nissan) is a good friend of mine. He and I were on the front row and had a plan to get away and fight at the end. The #95 e46 had other plans, and slammed into me in turn 4 on the first lap, turning me into Rob. We both went thru the gravel trap but I had major suspension damage and a punctured radiator. Rob went on to finish 4th - happy for him. Absolutely gutted that we didn't get a chance to even turn a lap after so much time, effort, and money went into this.

Rob and I protested the #95 and he was DQ'ed from the results. He didn't even have the decency to apologize to us.

Let the whining over T3 class parity for 2018 begin!

We plan to run the Boxster in T3 next year - the Hoosiers (aka purple crack) are such a fast tire and really improve the balance of the car. Runoffs are at Sonoma so that will be a long but fun trip.
Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up to Todd for breaking the seal for T3 and well done to get so far and be so competitive. Wish you all the best in the next season and since you will be at Sears for the run offs, you will have a lot of support, the PCA NorCal guys, we love to root for the SPB!!! Come run some races with us as warm up. Rumor has it that we will have fields of 15-20 for the West Coast series races. Sears is a blast but tricky (as you know) and wasnt so nice to some of us this year...
Old 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it was not the best weekend for me also. We have 18 spb/bsr racing at our POC Spring Mountain event this upcoming weekend. There are another 8 boxsters in our cup race license school. Soon we will have 30+ car fields with the Nor Cal guys joining us.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:03 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a good number of cars. We get 30+ for many PCA races out East as well.

We have 2 SPB's for rent for the Daytona PCA race coming up later this month if anyone wants to play.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I a very FUN and growing class
Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
That's a good number of cars. We get 30+ for many PCA races out East as well.

We have 2 SPB's for rent for the Daytona PCA race coming up later this month if anyone wants to play.
Don't do it unless you're willing to spend a few bucks building a car! They're a lot of fun - I test drove one in the fall and bought a donor car for a build just a few months later...

Quick Reply: Runoffs update - Day 1 of qualifying