Sponsored by:

966 without title help?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:11 AM
Tripingeorge3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 966 without title help?

Here's the deal. My father made a deal with his friend to buy this Porsche and bike off him. His friends brother passed away and he was inheriting the 966 among everything else. The guy was desperate for money and sold the car to my father before everything got transferred to his ownership. This guy was older than my father so I kept pressing him to have the guy transfer it from his deceased brother to my father. Have had the car sitting for almost 4 yrs now at his place. Like I said, kept telling my father to have the guy switch it to his name and give my father the title. I then heard his health was deteriorating maybe over a year ago. I recently asked did the guy at least switch it from his brother to himself and my father said no, he also passed away. Now, my father says I can have the car. I originally wanted to use it as a track car but I know I'm going to want to have a title and drive it own the streets. Is there a way for me to get the title somehow? Of course now he's lost the key. Help please!!
Old Today, 05:27 AM
theblitz
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the rules for applying for a new title varies from state to state, you'll have to contact your local DMV to find out how to do that
Old Today, 08:43 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 607 Posts

Sounds like an attorney would be the best guide. DMV may help, but it's hit or miss if you get someone that really knows the answers. There could be issues with who is the rightful owner and hopefully you have a paper trail for that.

Typically, when people die there is some form of estate (either someone is appointed as a personal representative or the state does it). Things can get tangled up in legal purgatory.
Old Today, 08:48 AM
996love
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

What state do you live in? You could also ask a lawyer that’s familiar with this sort of stuff.
Old Today, 10:02 AM
Tripingeorge3
3rd Gear

There was an estate. Problem is that the guy never put in his name from his brother. He has control over the estate but now he has also passed away without switching the title from his brother's name to his own. A lot of time has passed since my father made the deal and he never put it into his own name. Next thing I heard he was sick and unable to. Ask my father if he has gotten him to get the title before that and he said no. Told me he would get it but never did. Now my father told me he's no longer alive. So it's in 1st brother's name that passed initial. Brother that inherited never took out his brother's name and is now deceased also. That's situation unfortunately. Sucks cause I was really urging my father to take care of this when everything was good but he kept saying his friend would do it. I told my pops it was very important because this could happen given his friends age and condition when I met the guy. It was a ridiculous deal. My father knew him for years. That's why he wasn't pushing it as much I guess. Don't believe there is a paper trail. My father gave him a deposit and he was going to give the other half once he received the title. Guessing once his friend got control of the state and got the house and money, he didn't find it important anymore. Also the guy has a money hungry girlfriend which is also why I was pushing my father to get the deal done asap.
Old Today, 10:21 AM
Tripingeorge3
3rd Gear

Also I'm in ohio
Old Today, 10:42 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,859 Posts

In DE my local tow yard is liscenced to apply for titles for abandoned cars. Its a 6 month process and costs some money, involes a state police vin check, dmv notificatiin to the previous owners and a few other things. The risk is the estate can claim they didnt sell it and u would have to give the car back.

Check with your dmv or local tag service company and go from there.
Old Today, 01:07 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Do you have a signed/dated, with vin, bill of sale..?

Without the BOS, and no keys, and no transferred title, and a new (more or less unknown) estate executor, sure could look like a stolen car to authorities. Especially as you say it wasn't even fully paid for, but you have possession of the vehicle... Can you prove a transfer of funds for the partial payment made...?
If you have a cop for a friend have them run the vin for ya..

IMO, Be very careful how you proceed, get a lawyer for sure before you do anything. Or just track the car with no registration needed.

Being your first thread on our forums, and your first 3 and only posts are about how to proceed with no keys/no title, makes me wonder why you come here for this general car question. Why not go to your states dmv/forum, or a local lawyer that knows state DMV laws. Why come here....?

jmo

Last edited by allcool; Today at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
996-CAB (Today)
Old Today, 01:14 PM
theblitz
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DMV is hit and miss for sure but you still need to find out what they require, many years ago when I lived in Detroit I bought a 56 chevy it was brought up from Alabama and at that time Alabama was a no title state I found out from the DMV that all I needed to apply for a title is get the vin checked by the state police to prove it wasn't stolen

Last edited by theblitz; Today at 01:15 PM.
Old Today, 03:20 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 433 Posts

Sounds like you have a free track car until someone takes it away. Seriously, it sounds like there is no family remaining to push the settling of the estate. I don't know what happens in these cases, but it seems the state won't move until they are owed sufficient taxes to go after the estate. The only way to get it moving would be to get a lawyer and make some kind of claim against the estate. I would meet with a lawyer to know how to start and figure out if it's even worth it. Maybe follow up on the rules to have a car declared abandoned. Good luck