Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket is leaking oil from multiple points.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 12:52 AM
Raindrop
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Gasket is leaking oil from multiple points.

I was dealing with a nasty oil leak from passenger side of engine since I acquired the car about 2 years ago. I initially thought that oil leak is coming from cam tower. But when I disassembled the engine, I found that leak is actually coming from head gasket as shown in the pictures below. In the first picture, oil seems to be flowing down from cylinder bores and going over the top of oil cooler housing.

I never did a head gasket job before, so I am not sure what caused this extensive leak. Is this a head gasket failure or may be the nuts on the passenger side were not torqued down properly? Or is there any other reason for such a leak?
I want to avoid any missteps when installing new head gasket so any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2024, 09:46 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I would check the head sealing surface and block surface for any deep gouges or pitting. Your local machine shop can help you evaluate the head surface as well. Although its not 100% required if the head sealing surface is smooth and doesnt contain any warpage (warpage can be checked with a machinists straight edge and feeler gauges), its still a good idea to get the head resurfaced before reinstalling.

Now would also be a good time to potentially get the valves ground, valve seats re-cut and replace valve guides and valve seals. Its also good idea to check the valve springs and valve stems for wear tolerance and replace if needed.

In terms of the oil leak, it could be a result of a worn out head gasket, gouging/pitting in the head surface, or head warpage.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 08-14-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2024, 12:52 AM
Raindrop
Intermediate

Yes, I am heading over to the machine shop tomorrow. Plan is to install new valve seals, guides and valve springs as well. Since the oil is flowing over the gasket, it's probably the upper metal surface which was not maintain a tight seal.

I was wondering, would it help to lay down a very thin coat of Permatex anerobic sealer on those mating surfaces, before reassembly?
Old 08-15-2024, 08:04 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I have personally never used anything on the block or the head to aid in sealing at the head gasket area. The head gasket weakens over time and with heat cycles. I would just make sure that the block is clean and dry before installing a new gasket onto the block. If there is pitting once the old oil is cleaned from the block, we can reevaluate at that time.

You said you are taking the head to a machine shop, which is for the best. Make sure they go through it and mill it if necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Raindrop (Today)
Old 08-15-2024, 09:48 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I would not use any form of sealant. Follow the factory procedures listed in the FSM, ideally get the head resurfaced, or at the very least measured to confirm its within spec, nothing more.
Raindrop (Today)
Old 08-15-2024, 06:55 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 100 Posts

No sealant! That’s what the head gasket is for. As long as nothing is warped or gouged it will seal.
Raindrop (Today)
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Also, you can't be sure where any defect might be by assessing which gasket oil is flowing under or over. These surfaces are under immense pressure and any defect could be in multitude or not adjacent to the gasket borders as you might imagine.
Raindrop (Today)
Old Today, 03:41 AM
Raindrop
Intermediate

OK got it, No Sealant.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket is leaking oil from multiple points.