Notices

Who needs a PIWIS in the bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 01:46 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Who needs a PIWIS in the bay area?

There are so many requests for people looking to borrow a PIWIS to code or program modules, but tech has come a long way since the older models have been released, with the design process for modules and software etc. being finalized years before the cars actual release date. I have a 2016 Cayenne S and a 2014 Cayenne base and I use my thinktool pros for everything i do on them - I worked for an Audi dealer (R8 trained) for 20 years and aside from specific coding from Germany (security orientated coding) the Thinktool works.

I'd like to see how much can be done with a $1000 scanner and if more of these PIWIS requests can be avoided.
So if anyone in the bay needs help and wants to give my scanner a try (if a PIWIS isn't available) PM me. I live in Vallejo and work in Daly City and I'll come to you.
The following users liked this post:
mrkim (08-20-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 05:32 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 402 Posts

Are you offering this as a free service to help members out or for a fee?
Old 08-11-2024, 09:42 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

No fee - I just want to see how many issues can be solved with a generic tester. I'll post the results on here.
Old 08-12-2024, 12:58 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is kind of you. I have a Durametric and have a standing offer if anyone needs it. I am in Benicia, but retired, so meetups would have to be a EASY, or special trips, etc.
Hayabusa3 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 05:06 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi, on my 991.1 Turbo S, I'm swapping its Sport Design non heated steering wheel for a 991.2 multifunction heated wheel. In order to have the heating function, i need to change the clock spring, and have it activated via PIWIS. Any idea if your tool can do this activation?
Old 08-22-2024, 05:34 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Any idea if your tool can do this activation?
None.

But I'm willing to give it a go. Pm me.
Old 08-24-2024, 04:02 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

So I assisted someone with a Panamera today with a parking brake problem. The problem developed after letting an independent shop replace his pads and rotors (which he purchased from FPC Euro) but after getting the car back the yellow parking brake warning light was on. Using my tester we could see that his parking brake adaptation was not set and he had a control module coding error. We were able to clear the DTC's and attempt an adaptation of the parking brake which failed but the tester instructed us to perform a manual adjustment of the parking brake according to the Porsche workshop manual. The tester showed us that the air gap between the pads and the rotor was 0mm and it needed to be between 1.2mm and 1.9mm. So in this case, a PIWIS obviously wasn't needed. The owner did tell me that he had a friend try an Autel tester and they couldn't "fix the problem" so I don't know if the Autel tool also directed them to manually adjust the parking brake motor. He came to my work place so I'm not able to remove wheels and attempt to make a parking brake adjustment and possibly have him stranded, but to the question of does the average Porsche owner need to purchase a PIWIS - at this point I still feel like that's unnecessary. I'm sure there are conditions that a relatively inexpensive tool like my "Thinktool pro" doesn't have all the features but they've got to be pretty rare?

I'm willing to try coding or other software feature on your car if you live in the bay area and were told you need a PIWIS.
996love (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
edub
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

You can put together a working PIWIS for $70-80 plus the cost of a old laptop. It is a relatively affordable option if you're willing to put the time in.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

How? I have the laptop.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edub
You can put together a working PIWIS for $70-80 plus the cost of a old laptop. It is a relatively affordable option if you're willing to put the time in.
really? I thought it was more like $1500?

Quick Reply: Who needs a PIWIS in the bay area?