Sponsored by:

Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
suvi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide

I was looking to buy a used 718, first is a 2019 2.5 cayman gts, standard gts equipment with 24k miles the second is a 2021 cayman S with 18k miles.
The s has all the gts standard equipment plus burmester sound and the 18way seats.
the gts has the approved Porsche warranty the other not and has also the big service to be done (by me)

GTS

S
Which on should go for?
price wise the S costs 2,5k more

Last edited by suvi; Yesterday at 01:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,332 Likes on 754 Posts

I'd get the GTS. The warranty is nice to have plus you get the most aggressive tune out of the 2.5l turbo cars. While the S does have the Burmester and lower miles. i dont think 6k miles makes a difference, but i do think having a warranty trumps a better sound system.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
silverscooby27 (Yesterday), suvi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

GTS
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
silverscooby27 (Yesterday), suvi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
suvi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I'd get the GTS. The warranty is nice to have plus you get the most aggressive tune out of the 2.5l turbo cars. While the S does have the Burmester and lower miles. i dont think 6k miles makes a difference, but i do think having a warranty trumps a better sound system.
The gts has the standard sound system is it that bad?
plus the S has the racetex seats where the other alcantara.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi
RaceTex is Porsche’s marketing term for their version of alcantara. It is the same.

If the S has cloth seats, then that’s SportTex.

Yes, the standard sound system is very bad.

If you can’t decide based upon options then decide based upon color.

I hate RaceTex/Alcantara, so for me the choice would be easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
NA4.0 (Today), OKCabriolet (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Recetex is the same thing as 'Alcantara', as an FYI. And no, the base sound system sounds like crap, as reported by many, so that's why I made Bose a requirement on both my ex-981 GTS and the upcoming '24 Style Edition. To me both a base sound system, and no warranty, would be automatic deal-breakers. Plus also no PDLS+ headlights (the base ones look so old. Ha ha), premium package, power/memory seats, and other options, so I'd wait for a better one myself. Hey, did you check the Porsche site for CPOs? There are 8 GTSs, I believe, and many more Ss. And you can choose any 'must have' options, and mileage/transmission/previous-owners, etc., to only filter the ones you'd be interested in. Check it out first. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; Yesterday at 05:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
suvi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JCtx
Recetex is the same thing as 'Alcantara', as an FYI. And no, the base sound system sounds like crap, as reported by many, so that's why I made Bose a requirement on both my ex-981 GTS and the upcoming '24 Style Edition. To me both a base sound system, and no warranty, would be automatic deal-breakers. Plus also no PDLS+ headlights (the base ones look so old. Ha ha), premium package, power/memory seats, and other options, so I'd wait for a better one myself. Hey, did you check the Porsche site for CPOs? There are 8 GTSs, I believe, and many more Ss. And you can choose any 'must have' options, and mileage/transmission/previous-owners, etc., to only filter the ones you'd be interested in. Check it out first. Good luck.
sorry maybe I did not explain well, the gts has base sound system and extended warranty and racetex seats, the S has the sound system sportex but no warranty and a service to be dane as I get the car, that would be a 2.5k service and 1 year warranty cost after purchase and the car is also more expensive .
Both car have the pdls not pdls+, there aren’t many with full led here and I’m budget limited.
sound system on the other hand can be upgraded later

Last edited by suvi; Yesterday at 05:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

As an FYI, if you want to upgrade the sound system, you really need Bose, for what I've read. Otherwise, it'd be very challenging and expensive. Forgot the technical details, but it'd be very hard to make it work with the car controls and infotainment unit. With the Bose, you already have everything in place, including speaker locations, amplifier location and wiring, everything integrated, etc. Just look into that in depth, if you're considering the base sound system, to avoid nasty surprises. I'd still check all other options first (and wait longer if needed), but that's just me. Good luck.

Here are all 7 CPO GTSs availabe from Porsche dealers nationwide. Didn't apply any filters, but you can do that, and also add the Ss. Hope this helps: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...rder=price_asc

Last edited by JCtx; Yesterday at 05:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Spree17
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 2.5 GTS. Both cars are 2.5 turbos? One is tuned to more power? Any other major differences?
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 526 Posts

Slightly bigger turbo on GTS and 15 more horsepower. (365 > 350).

Other things to consider - does the S have Sport Chrono or PASM/SPASM?

From the information presented, I'd lean towards the GTS.
The following users liked this post:
Spree17 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
suvi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ldamelio

the S has PASM PTV and Chrono as the the gts, the guy that listed the gts wrote in the description that the car has the sound package with CarPlay ( I assume it’s the sound package plus)?
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Spree17
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you.

Originally Posted by ldamelio

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,332 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi
I know a lot of people will tell you that the base sound system is bad, but personally i found it adequate in my GT4. While the difference between it and the Burmester is massive, adding some sound deadening in the door panels can actually be a great way to help reduce road noise and make the sound system sound better. It's not amazing, but it's a very clear sound and decently punchy especially when compared to a lot of other cheap sound systems. I upgraded the tweeters in the dash to the Burmester tweeters and i found it to improve the sound a lot.

You can checkout that process in my youtube video:
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I know a lot of people will tell you that the base sound system is bad, but personally i found it .. it's a very clear sound and decently punchy especially when compared to a lot of other cheap sound systems.
I agree. The base sound system is actually better than Bose in terms of clarity. Bose adds deeper, but “resonating’ bass and volume and sacrifices clarity and quality.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Gus22
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

You can change the radio. You aren’t going to change the engine. Vote gts

Quick Reply: Help me decide