Sponsored by:

Cam chain guide

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Cam chain guide

What would it cost to have the cam chain guide replaced. I think I found a small piece of plastic in the oil after the last oil change and ended up tossing it before I could take pick. I'm fairly certain it was a very small piece of the chain guide. Thoughts.
Old Today, 02:33 AM
996love
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 45 Posts

It sort of depends on which chain guide it is. In most cases, it’ll be an engine-out procedure.

I did read about some handy mechanics that were able to replace the VarioCam wear pads with the engine in the car, but I would rather drop the engine to make my life easier, as well as address other important items at the same time.
Old Today, 10:36 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Depends on which engine you have.

The 5-chain engines (3.4) have tensioner pads and chain guides, plus the IMS chain guide (which cannot be replaced without taking the engine apart). It looks like maybe as many as 10 guides on this engine. The ones that wear the most are the four (two per side) by the cam tensioners. These are light-colored pads that turn brown over time. The IMS pad I think is black.

The 3-chain engines (3.6) are different. I don’t have enough knowledge on that engine, but hopefully others will chime in.
Old Today, 12:20 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 688 Likes on 428 Posts

The .2 engine has 6 chain guides and four of them can be replaced with the heads removed (without splitting the case). The IMS two guides have to be replaced while splitting the engine.

Quick Reply: Cam chain guide