Sponsored by:

Where to use a cup car in Chicago area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 01:20 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Where to use a cup car in Chicago area?

Hi all,

We are planning a move to Chicago area from Australia in 2025. Naturally the first world problems of deciding which cars to take with me are top of the list

I dearly love my 996 cup car but do not wish to race it door to door. I have enjoyed 6 years of using it in Time Trial type events and open track days here in Australia and would ideally like to do the same in Chicago. I understand Autobahn CC and Road America are the two more proximal circuits to Chicagoland. I am thinking ahead in order to decide whether or not it is worth keeping the car and bringing it to the US. The dream would be to run the car at Rennsport one day.

For those of you in the area who own cup cars but do not race them, what events and organisations are you running with? How frequent are the events? Any advice is appreciated.

The following 2 users liked this post by spiller:
bcrdukes (07-14-2024), Nickshu (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 02:38 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Welcome to the Chicago area. Easiest thing to do is join the Chicago Region PCA and you will have access to Road America with 2 events, Autobahn, Gingerman and Blackhawk Farms. Pretty much 1-2 events a month. You can also access other midwest regional events that will take you to the same tracks plus more. You will have more events to attend than time here in Chicagoland.

Sign up for Club Registration and you will see a list of all events by track and date and can register. Plenty of non-PCA events as well.

https://clubregistration.net/the-shop/index.cfm

Last edited by GC996; 07-14-2024 at 02:46 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
ANGST (07-14-2024), Mahler9th (07-14-2024), paradocs98 (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 09:21 AM
tonythetarga
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are willing to travel some, then you have access to a number of historic tracks. Apart from Road America, Watkins Glen is about 9 hours away. Mid-Ohio is slightly closer to you, and don’t forget Indianapolis has a road course that combines use of the famed oval. Check out Chin Motorsports websites. They have events all over the country.
If you plan Watkins Glen, keep Niagara PCA in mind. We do 4 two day events from Memorial Day through early October.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:32 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 518 Posts

Look on clubregistration.net and motorsportreg.com and you will find the majority if events in any given area. You can enter a zip code and a radius to search events within your travel tolerance. And join PCA as said. Costs next to nothing and a great way to make new friends both on track and off.

Last edited by ldamelio; 07-14-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2024, 10:14 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

@spiller attached below is a link to the PCA Chicago Region. A bunch of guys run Cup Cars in the region, including the President of the region whi is actively involved with track events. You may want to reach out to him. Great guy. You can find the info on the regions leadership on the website.

Every Labor Day weekend, the Chicago PCA hosts club races as well as DE at Road America. If you get into town by then, attend the event. It's usually loaded with a couple hundred Porsches and a must attend event.

https://pca-chicago.org/

If you need any help navigating the region, feel free to pm me.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:30 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I am a member at Autobahn CC located about 45 minutes southwest of downtown Chicago, I drive a 991.2 CUP (as well as other cars) and there are lots of them there as well. Eurosport Racing is also located at Autobahn and they serive all generations of Cup cars so it's super easy! Happy to share more if interested. Feel free to DM for me info.

Besst,
Adam
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 12:58 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Adam mentioned Eurosport which is a great Indy. I use them as well. If you want to drive all of the "major" tracks in the US, they run a couple of tractor trailers to all the major PCA club races throughout the year that you can have them transport your car to the track and will service the car. Many guys will just use their services to participate in the DE component of the race weekend. It's not cheap, but it's an opportunity to experience all the major US tracks with very few headaches. FWIW.
ProCoach (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 11:21 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback and advice everyone. It sounds like there are a plethora of opportunities to use the car in the area which is great! I think I will start by joining the PCA once we are on the way and go from there. Club racing and DE through the PCA been mentioned so far, do they also run time trials?
Old 07-15-2024, 08:01 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

You may need to take a look at other organizations for time trials. Below is a link for nasa which does them. Other folks may be able to weigh in with suggestions.

https://drivenasa.com/time-trial/
spiller (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 10:24 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 409 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Thanks for the feedback and advice everyone. It sounds like there are a plethora of opportunities to use the car in the area which is great! I think I will start by joining the PCA once we are on the way and go from there. Club racing and DE through the PCA been mentioned so far, do they also run time trials?
Do you use a CPAP machine for OSA? lol
Old 07-15-2024, 03:11 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tonythetarga
and don’t forget Indianapolis has a road course that combines use of the famed oval.
indy was the most disappointing road course i have experienced. i was super excited to go and the track was boring, almost completely flat and the only significant portion of the oval you are on is a portion of the front straight - in reverse! i checked it off my list but i will never be going back.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

No one recommends Lower Wacker Drive for best use of a Cup car in Chicago?
GC996 (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 04:41 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 511 Posts

Gingerman in South Haven, MI. Couple hour drive, usually smooth sailing on 94 and 196 once clear of Chicago and into Michigan.

Can even stop in Gary, IN for some sightseeing.

Edit, just realized you are from the other side of the world. Skip sightseeing in Gary, my bad, ha.

Last edited by ParadiseGT3; 07-15-2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 06:00 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Old 07-15-2024, 11:04 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC996
You may need to take a look at other organizations for time trials. Below is a link for nasa which does them. Other folks may be able to weigh in with suggestions.

https://drivenasa.com/time-trial/
Excellent, appreciate for the additional info. Thanks.

Originally Posted by thebishman
Do you use a CPAP machine for OSA? lol
What am I missing here??

Originally Posted by nineball
indy was the most disappointing road course i have experienced. i was super excited to go and the track was boring, almost completely flat and the only significant portion of the oval you are on is a portion of the front straight - in reverse! i checked it off my list but i will never be going back.
Interesting. I haven't seen much of Indy in terms of onboard video but I remember the F1 debacle in the mid 00's.

Originally Posted by Oddjob
That would make for a good YT video!

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Gingerman in South Haven, MI. Couple hour drive, usually smooth sailing on 94 and 196 once clear of Chicago and into Michigan.

Can even stop in Gary, IN for some sightseeing.

Edit, just realized you are from the other side of the world. Skip sightseeing in Gary, my bad, ha.
I have driven through Gary a couple of times. Needless to say we have never stopped.

Will have a look at Gingerman too as it was not even on my radar. Thanks.

Last edited by spiller; 07-15-2024 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to use a cup car in Chicago area?