Sponsored By:

Cockpit 12 volt accessory plugs not operable

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 09:45 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Cockpit 12 volt accessory plugs not operable

When I bought my '13 CD about a month ago, I discovered that the driver's compartment accessory outlets were not working (i.e. lighter, console, and under dash. Rear seat and cargo area outlets were fine. I checked and the fuse was blown. The outlets then worked and have worked for about a month. Only item plugged in was a Garmin GPS. Yesterday, the outlets quick again. I have not yet check the fuse, but assume it is popped again. I tried my GPS and power cord in the rear seat and cargo outlets with no problem, so it's not likely the problem. Has anyone had a similar experience? Should be common on any Cayenne. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2024, 11:05 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

I had this exact experience when I first bought my GTS. Couldn’t get my radar detector to work, checked the fuse (blown), replaced it, and then it would pop again. Dealership found a short in the wiring - once it was fixed 8 years ago I have never had another problem. I’d bet your fuse is blown again.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:17 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

I assume it will be blown when I check today. The mystery is why it worked for a month and then blew. As I think about it, I did switch my Garmin from the lighter plug to the under dash plug about a week ago. Will replace fuse +assume blown) and switch back. We shall see.
Old 06-30-2024, 10:23 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Good luck - it was frustrating until they found the short.
Old 07-09-2024, 08:42 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Hopefully last update....I did replace the fuse and moved my GPS back to the console outlet. It has worked fine for about a week and a half. So I'm presuming there is a short of some sort in the under dash socket. Not critical at this point. Will replace socket when I get time and go from there. Just thought I would not leave this hanging....
Old 07-10-2024, 05:37 AM
Daveheardt
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I've read the 12V socket under the dash is the one that takes most "damage" because of its location. You have to unplug it at least once a year to replace the air vents filter. If the car was serviced by someone who didn't care what and how it was pulled - the shorting can be coming from there.

It's easy and quick to get to that harness so I'd start with checking the wires there.
Old 07-10-2024, 09:58 AM
Spicy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW - I have to replace fuses for my 12v outlets every couple of months. I am running a radar detector and phone charger, they should not be overloaded.
Old 07-10-2024, 11:38 AM
Daveheardt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spicy
FWIW - I have to replace fuses for my 12v outlets every couple of months. I am running a radar detector and phone charger, they should not be overloaded.
My phone charger is 20 amps (used only when 2 phones are connected together) and my fuse is a 15. I've blown the fuse twice so far - once plugging 2 phones to be charged together, and once by trying to use a 25A air compressor to inflate my tires a bit. If your detector is 10A and your charger is another 10A and you have a 15 fuse too - no wonder you are changing them that much I haven't been bothered that much to use my father-in-law's multimeter and experiment with fuses at higher amps in that socket (I guess it would either work or cause a disaster of some kind )

I find it odd Porsche decided to use a single fuse for all 3 frontal outlets. On my previous car (Peugeot) each outlet had its own fuse, not even placed in the same box. It is what it is, I guess.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:35 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

20 amps seems way too high for a phone charger. Are you sure it's not supposed to be 2 amps?
Old 07-10-2024, 08:46 PM
Daveheardt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
20 amps seems way too high for a phone charger. Are you sure it's not supposed to be 2 amps?
It is one of those "combo" devices - jumpstart, phone charger, fast charge for macbooks, etc. I don't know how the wiring inside is done but when you plug in 2 iPhones the multimeter says 20 amps. It's made in China and it's not a brand device so ...

Quick Reply: Cockpit 12 volt accessory plugs not operable