alot. do it!
Old 06-26-2024 | 12:19 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

K?
Old 06-26-2024 | 08:28 AM
E Allen
Rennlist Member

I don’t know how much HP but here is mine stock vs tuned. The stock run was -900 da so it had a big advantage vs the 1700 da with tune but you can clearly see the gains.

Old 06-26-2024 | 02:33 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B Russ
Just doing simple mods like an exhaust with 100 cel cats
There are multiple levels of tunes from mild to aggressive. Go to the Cobb website, enter 991.1 Turbo S, and there are charts, graphs, and description of different levels.

An overall average power increase only tells part of the story because various tunes deliver proportionally more than average at different points on the HP and torque curves.

A serious consideration is possible warranty consequences. If you are still covered by CPO or an extended powertrain warranty and have a failure, a tune could well negate coverage. Many will say you can always flash it back to stock, but even so, the fingerprints can always be found if the warranty company wants to investigate. That's particularly true with Porsche on a CPO warranty.

I'm not doing anything to modify the OEM powertrain configuration until coverage has lapsed. I even kept the OEM cats on my Speedtech X-pipe for that reason.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-26-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2024 | 02:38 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B Russ
Just doing simple mods like an exhaust with 100 cel cats
I would not and did not use an off the shelf tune on a Porsche.

Use an expert like @SamboTT@ByDesign to get the best of all worlds. Safety, support, power , etc.

That will save you money in the long term instead of doing it multiple times.
Old 06-26-2024 | 02:43 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Cobb allows some tuners to use their Access Port and have a license to do custom tunes. I know TPC Racing/DSC Sport uses the Cobb Access Port, but Mike L. has his own custom tunes for various Porsche sports car models.
Old 06-26-2024 | 03:53 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I have had Cobb tunes on 2 Pcars, a previous TT and now my TTS. Both have been flawless and more exciting to drive. I was never looking for big power but just to get some noticeable improvement in acceleration which comes with the increased torq from the tune, turbo spooling and in the case of my TTS I also have the PDK tune which really improved the shifting on an already great transmission.
I did choose Sam to do the customization of my TTS Stage 2 93 tune by going back and forth with data logs to get to the sweet point. Definitely worth it, very noticeable off the line improvement.

Last edited by Penn4S; 06-27-2024 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024 | 04:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I went with a pretty mild tune for my TTS. I have the FVD tune and FVD cat back exhaust. The tune produces 635 HP and 620 lb/ft of torque according to the FVD data, but I have t verified this. Much like the Cobb product, FVD tunes come with a handheld device to make adjustments, tweak the tune for different fuel types, etc. Overall I’m very happy with the product.
Old 06-26-2024 | 04:54 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
I would not and did not use an off the shelf tune on a Porsche.

Use an expert like @SamboTT@ByDesign to get the best of all worlds. Safety, support, power , etc.

That will save you money in the long term instead of doing it multiple times.
This is what I did. I am far from a speed nut and I have a cab. Read my signature and that translates into 765HP at the crank (dyno'ed).. And that's with 200 cell cats but more than what you asked (e.g. bigger turbos', intercoolers). But before I got here I was at Stage 2 (stock headers, IC's, pipes etc.) - which is what you are asking and that was a noticeable bump from stock. How much - I don't know as I didn't dyno after that stage. But it was very noticeable.
Old 06-27-2024 | 10:20 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
I would not and did not use an off the shelf tune on a Porsche. Use an expert like @SamboTT@ByDesign to get the best of all worlds. Safety, support, power , etc. That will save you money in the long term instead of doing it multiple times.
Originally Posted by rodsky
This is what I did. I am far from a speed nut and I have a cab....
Yep - that's the best advice on the tune. I bought an off the shelf tune first (GIAC) and I was very impressed! It took another year for me to realize that a broadly applicable tune was never going to be as good (or as safe) as a bespoke tune unique to my vehicle with my mods with my DA etc etc. Wish I had started with the ProTune, but you live and you learn.
Old 06-27-2024 | 12:17 PM
Thicc911Turbo
Instructor

I'm not even really that interested in HP increases; I feel like 540HP from my lowly street-driven, never-tracked, no-interest-in-chasing-7s, non-S T is fine. But I am curious about the torque increases in the lower registers of the tach and how that feels on the street. It's not like the car is lacking tractability in stock form but what's that like with a Sam-tune?
Old 06-27-2024 | 12:42 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thicc911Turbo
I'm not even really that interested in HP increases; I feel like 540HP from my lowly street-driven, never-tracked, no-interest-in-chasing-7s, non-S T is fine. But I am curious about the torque increases in the lower registers of the tach and how that feels on the street. It's not like the car is lacking tractability in stock form but what's that like with a Sam-tune?
Sam’s tune can also modify the delivery of power. Send him a Cobb scan of a 3rd gear pull and he can make sure torque is applied in the right places of the powerband maximizing traction and getting the power to the ground. For those with significant power and torque increases he also has a PDK tune to optimize/save the clutches.
Old 06-27-2024 | 12:50 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thicc911Turbo
Yours is a good observation.

HP is more related to top speed, and TQ is more about faster acceleration. For street driving, the former is less relevant than the latter. From looking at a lot of torque curves, I've noticed that many tunes deliver substantially more low-end torque, which probably provides more street fun than big HP increases. There aren't opportunities (unless you're into being a street outlaw) to run at the top-end of either curve unless you're tracking the car or a frequent visitor to drag strips.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-27-2024 at 12:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thicc911Turbo (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024 | 12:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yours is a good observation.

HP is more related to top speed, and TQ is more about faster acceleration. For street driving, the former is less relevant than the latter. From looking at a lot of torque curves, I've noticed that many tunes deliver more low-end torque, which probably provides more street fun than big HP increases. There aren't opportunities (unless you're into being a street outlaw) to run at the top-end of either curve unless you're tracking the car or a frequent visitor to drag strips.
This is exactly the reason that I went with a mild tune. I don’t take my TTS to the track or the drag strip. The performance of the TTS in stock form is already close to the point of being ridiculous for street use, so a tune simply refines the experience. Obviously my approach would be different if I used the car for the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis C:
Foosh (06-27-2024), Thicc911Turbo (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: How much HP can one expect from a tune