Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coding 987

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 10:14 AM
Bergmn
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coding 987

To what extent can a 987.2 be coded? Is there a detailed source of information about what, if any, features and options may be programmed or coded on these cars? What is the preferred enthusiast owner software or device? A developer wrote a great app for coding BMW's, but I don't find anything for Porsche. Are any of the Foxwell devices useful for coding?
Old 06-23-2024, 01:54 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Check out the Durametric Pro if you are interested in coding your car. I've got one on the way to do some coding on my 987.2. I'll update this thread with my impressions once it arrives and I attempt to turn my car into a death trap by deactivating some safety systems.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:18 PM
Bergmn
Track Day

I look forward to your impressions. Please consider sharing some of the featrures you are able to code. Right now I am wondering if you will find a LED headlight option.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:42 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 138 Posts

987.2 is well supported by the Foxwell NT530. I'm a fan of this device, as it's worked well for me.

I have recoded the turn signal side-lights to flash with the front signals. I also used it to turn on the auto-lock at 3mph. I have also read about doing TPMS stuff with it, not that I've needed it. That's the tool I'd recommend, as it's lower cost than others.

It's also good for troubleshooting sensor issues (based on what I've read - haven't had to do it myself), and other things.

I haven't had to use it too much for things on my car (it's been very good to me) but it certainly shows a lot of info. I did use it to "study" the oil temperature and such, to prove that my car warms up to operating temp by the time I get to the highway (about 5 minutes). You can collect data and save it to CSV, etc Pretty cool.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:35 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 318 Posts

I cannot answer your question directly. That said, I have a 987.1 and use my Durametric Pro to help me understand the car. I have not tried any coding. It sort of scares me and there really isn't anything about the operation of the car that leads me to want to recode anything. Oh, I guess I used it to turn off the Airbag light on my dash after installing aftermarket seats with no airbags. But that's about it.

Anyway, on my website, www.newhillgarage.com, if you search on "health" there are 4 articles that establish some basics on how to use a Durametric. I like the Durametric just fine but you are not going to learn anything but the basics using their Users Guide. I've tried to fill in the blanks a little with my articles.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:40 PM
bredward
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This thread is the closest thing I've found for docs: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ns-manual.html

I also use a Foxwell NT530 but the options are usually named similarly as the Durametric options. I enabled the ability to control daytime running lights and have also wondered about disabling the seatbelt warning chime, which can be a bit over-zealous in my experience.

Last edited by bredward; 06-25-2024 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:07 PM
Nathan_S
AutoX

Originally Posted by bredward
This thread is the closest thing I've found for docs: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ns-manual.html

I also use a Foxwell NT530 but the options are usually named similarly as the Durametric options. I enabled the ability to control daytime running lights and have also wondered about disabling the seatbelt warning chime, which can be a bit over-zealous in my experience.
How long ago did you get the NT530? I saw this thread below which seems to indicate the ability to code was removed at some point. Wondering the validity of it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-function.html

I am thinking about this because I ordered the parts to add a passenger airbag disable switch while my kids are in the car. It looks like a Foxwell NT530 is only $170. I doubt I'll get someone to code it for less than that.

Airbag switch instructions
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...987CARSEAT.pdf

Foxwell NT530
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-25-2024, 08:01 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan_S
I am thinking about this because I ordered the parts to add a passenger airbag disable switch while my kids are in the car. It looks like a Foxwell NT530 is only $170. I doubt I'll get someone to code it for less than that.
Isn't that the whole point of the passenger seat sensor? If there is less weight than a certain threshold it doesn't deploy the airbags in a crash?
Old 06-25-2024, 08:12 PM
Nathan_S
AutoX

Originally Posted by KrisA
Isn't that the whole point of the passenger seat sensor? If there is less weight than a certain threshold it doesn't deploy the airbags in a crash?
It shuts off for my 2 year old but doesn’t for my 5 year old
The following users liked this post:
KrisA (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:15 PM
bredward
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan_S
How long ago did you get the NT530? I saw this thread below which seems to indicate the ability to code was removed at some point. Wondering the validity of it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-function.html

Airbag switch instructions
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...987CARSEAT.pdf

Foxwell NT530
https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-NT530.../dp/B0C3J1V5N8
I bought my Foxwell NT530 in April 2023 and I was able to do some of this programming, although I haven't tried it in a while ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's a cool project (to add a child seat). Are the parts still readily available for purchase? I seemed to find they were in short supply when I tested the waters a year or two ago (no kids yet; maybe someday).
Old 06-27-2024, 12:30 AM
Nathan_S
AutoX

Originally Posted by bredward
I bought my Foxwell NT530 in April 2023 and I was able to do some of this programming, although I haven't tried it in a while ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's a cool project (to add a child seat). Are the parts still readily available for purchase? I seemed to find they were in short supply when I tested the waters a year or two ago (no kids yet; maybe someday).
I wasn’t able to find the whole kit but I think I got the switch, dash panel for switch, and wiring harness. I’m cautiously optimistic but Pelican had to order from Germany.

I’ll post a write up on it if it all works out.

The latch bar is a “nice to have”. Can just use the seatbelt to hold the child seat in place. It felt just as secure as a latch attachment by my very scientific yanking on the seat testing methodology.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:35 AM
Bergmn
Track Day

Default Other Foxwell models?

Is anyone using a Foxwell model other than the NT530 which appears to be discontinued? Foxwell support tells me none of their devices are capable of coding. I suspect they just dont translate my inquiry or I've got a junior support rep who has not escalated.
I hate to buy and need to return if it doesn't work with the most current firmware.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:16 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a PIWIS III that I've used to do some coding on the car. I can confirm a few of the elements mentioned above:
  1. Turned off airbag monitoring and warning for aftermarket seats
  2. Turned off seatbelt monitoring for aftermarket seats
  3. Turned off TPMS for track wheels
  4. Coded ABS to think the car has PCCB and to adjust the ABS/PSM threshold
Old 06-27-2024, 03:32 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I finally plugged in my Durametric for the first time, six months after buying it, and it seems to work well and is fairly easy to operate. I'm looking forward to reading @harveyf's instructional articles, mentioned above.

It took me so long to use mine because I knew I should run an overrev report, since I hadn't before I bought my car last year. I finally mustered up the courage and turned out I had nothing to worry about.

Old 07-03-2024, 12:25 PM
Bergmn
Track Day

I received my NT530. I've been able to program fog lights to work with high beams and I've set the side markers to repeat turn signals. Has anyone been able to get the passenger side mirror to tilt when the car is in reverse? It shows enabled, but doesn't tilt regardless of the position I set the manual mirror adjustment control.
What other useful options have you coded on a 987.2?

Quick Reply: Coding 987