Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK fluid change after too much time causes MORE trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 08:57 PM
Ruby Star Light
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK fluid change after too much time causes MORE trouble?

I have a 987. 2. With pdk at 85k miles. I don't have all the details of the service history, there are multiple items with generic descriptors being used on the Carfax.

I just went to a shop asking about 90k service and mentioned that I don't know what has been done with the pdk clutch or transmission fluid. They said if they can't confirm that the fluid has been changed, they recommend not changing it as debris could be loosened up and cause excessive wear after the fluid change. They also recommend dumping the car basically before it's too late.

While in theory some of this can make sense, does that advice seem true enough to act on? Or should I find a different shop? (The shop is Callas Rennsport in Torrance, CA, recommended by others here)

Transmission seems ok based on what I read here. Sometimes it clunks from second to first. It had a scary error that put the transmission in emergency mode, and the dealer determined the MAF was bad and the problem was fixed after being replaced.

Last edited by Ruby Star Light; 06-12-2024 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:35 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 244 Posts

I can't say I've heard of that with the PDK, but have heard the same for standard automatics...

Callas rennsport is certainly one of the best names out there, Without some other damning evidence, I would not doubt them..

All that said... it never hurts to get a second opinion. Especially about dumping the car, If you love the car and plan on keeping it,, consider bting the bullet drop thee motor and trans and go ahead and catch up on ALL the deferred maintinince.. once they are out things like plugs and injectors are quick and easy.

Best of luck to you,
jeff

Last edited by jscott82; 06-12-2024 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:00 PM
Ruby Star Light
AutoX

Yes, I have definitely grown attached to this specific car and I worry if I tried to get another like it I wouldn't be so lucky. I might bite the bullet as you say

Their advice is especially disappointing since they did the $1000 "pre" purchase inspection while I still had the opportunity to send it back.

I've been skeptical of their opinion since at that cost they didn't catch the bad MAF when I pointed out the rough engine and they were happy to point out some smears as cosmetic blemishes that wiped off, but didn't recognize a problem with the soft top that ended up leading to its entire replacement.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:38 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby Star Light
Yes, I have definitely grown attached to this specific car and I worry if I tried to get another like it I wouldn't be so lucky. I might bite the bullet as you say

Their advice is especially disappointing. I've been skeptical of their opinion.
FWIW, I owned a 987S PDK for 11 years. The car was always serviced at my local Porsche dealer. I asked them to perform a PDK clutchset and gearset oilchange at 110K miles (little bit earlier than recommended). Sold the Cayman with 130K miles 2 years thereafter. I also experienced clunkiness in 1->2 shifts.

T.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

My PDK Spyder has had the required maintenance. I’ve had it for five years and it’s approaching 60,000 miles. The shift was noticeably less clunky after the last service as i understand they do a calibration as part of the PDK oil change. I drive my car as intended and the gearbox has given me no issues.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:07 AM
9Dot2
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically I have been researching the same issue. I recently acquired a 2009 987.2 base w/PDK and 25K miles. The car appeared to be well maintained but there is little documentation to indicate if the PDK was ever serviced in it's period. My local Indy shop also was skeptical of performing a fluid service and mentioned that the PDK may not operate as it was prior to the fluid change. I also have a subtle clunk when shifting 2 to 1. If anyone can share some insight or thoughts it would help me decide to either leave it as is or go ahead and perform the service.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:22 PM
Cemlo
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If it was me I wouldn't service the PDK at 25k, especially if multiple well respected shops recommend against it.

I also had the clunky 2 to 1 and I'm guessing it might be the distance position sensor on it way out. Hence I've been reaearching the PDK issue(s) for the last 12 mnths.

My PDK is currently on the workbench as I'm in the process of replacing the 50p o ring on the leaking mechatronic sleeve. It's done 56k and the oil thats drained appears in very good condition. I am determined to fix the issues with this gearbox and hopefully learn and be able to share some information down the line.

If you want to read up, here are some great resourses;

In general a great thread here - https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...r-summary.html
Another good one highlighting what issues can occur - https://www.brrperformance.com/porsc...ow-repairable/
Another version of the box puller and DIY repair - https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...t-987-2-a.html
Another version of the tool and distance sensor replacement - https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...t-987-2-a.html

Last edited by Cemlo; 06-13-2024 at 03:25 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 06-14-2024, 08:20 AM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Hope this isn't true because I just had a top shop replace all PDK fluids on my 987.2 S with 110k miles on it.

It may be a risk, but question is - how much risk? Don't think it is guaranteed to happen.

I've put over 1,000 miles on it since then with no change at all in PDK shifting.

It was throwing codes but stopped when I replaced plugs and coils myself - not a difficult job with proper tools.

Had car since 2013 & 37k miles and don't plan to ever replace it. Why? Unless something major breaks.........

GN

Last edited by Gatornapper; 06-14-2024 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2024, 07:45 PM
iflyjetzzz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby Star Light
I just went to a shop asking about 90k service and mentioned that I don't know what has been done with the pdk clutch or transmission fluid. They said if they can't confirm that the fluid has been changed, they recommend not changing it as debris could be loosened up and cause excessive wear after the fluid change. They also recommend dumping the car basically before it's too late
I'm not familiar with the specifics of changing tranny fluid on the PDK, but generically speaking, where problems occur on transmission fluid changes is when they flush the system using a flush machine. A MUCH BETTER way to do this is to simply do a drain and refill. That will leave some old transmission fluid in the tranny, but a flush machine will use pressure and loosen deposits. Those loosened deposits are where the problems occur.
I've even had one Acura dealer tell me that they no longer did transmission flushes due to the problems caused; they only do drain/refills.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:04 PM
Ruby Star Light
AutoX

Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz
I'm not familiar with the specifics of changing tranny fluid on the PDK, but generically speaking, where problems occur on transmission fluid changes is when they flush the system using a flush machine. A MUCH BETTER way to do this is to simply do a drain and refill. That will leave some old transmission fluid in the tranny, but a flush machine will use pressure and loosen deposits. Those loosened deposits are where the problems occur.
I've even had one Acura dealer tell me that they no longer did transmission flushes due to the problems caused; they only do drain/refills.
They did mention the problem was with flushing. It seems in the end this is just a much more nuanced question and is really dependent on the condition of the transmission, which is a bit of a guessing game at times.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:18 PM
iflyjetzzz
Advanced

I recommend you just get a drain and refill. If the PDK is like other transmissions, it means you're changing less than half of the fluid, but that's fine in my book. It just needs to be done at regular intervals.
I personally would never get a flush done, no matter how low the miles. The risk of doing damage to the tranny is too great with a flush machine.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:22 PM
bluebonnet
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would not let anyone other than a reputable Porsche dealer change the PDK fluid. The process requires PIWIS. The problems historically associated with changing clutch fluid, or automatic transmission fluid for that matter, is doing it incorrectly or setting the level incorrect. Also, anyone who thinks 85k miles is a lot on a 987.2 clearly does not know the car and should not be working on it in the first place. I bought my car at 3 years old as CPO and have since owned for 10 more years as a daily driver, now 90k miles. Beyond routine maintenance, the only thing that has failed on my car in 13 years is a single ignition coil. I did change my PDK fluid at 55k miles. I track the car several times a year so that could be the reason I have no problems.

2011 Base Boxster PDK.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:15 PM
iflyjetzzz
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluebonnet
I would not let anyone other than a reputable Porsche dealer change the PDK fluid. The process requires PIWIS. .
Here's a 981 writeup without using PIWIS from Planet 9. https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...37865/#replies

I would think that any indy shop could handle a simple drain and refill. It doesn't look like a particularly complex DIY task, but if not comfortable, I'd have confidence that an indy can handle the task.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:23 PM
bluebonnet
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz
Here's a 981 writeup without using PIWIS from Planet 9. https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...37865/#replies

I would think that any indy shop could handle a simple drain and refill. It doesn't look like a particularly complex DIY task, but if not comfortable, I'd have confidence that an indy can handle the task.
Draining the clutch fluid and replacing with the same quantity will work as long as the starting level is correct and you don't change the filter. If you have had any leaks, the starting level will not be correct - and it goes without saying that changing the clutch fluid should include changing the filter. This is not the same as changing gear oil like in a manual, a separate reservoir in the PDK transmission, where you simply fill until it starts coming out of the fill plug.

Everyone will have to make their own risk/reward decision if they want to save a few bucks. Some Porsche dealers are not good and some independents are great. I expect that Porsche will stand by their work, and Porsche has the financial capability to replace a PDK if they damage it as a result of the fluid change.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:01 PM
iflyjetzzz
Advanced

Well, from looking over the link that I posted, the way to check the PDK transmission fluid level looks the same as pretty much all other automatic transmissions.
Personally, I don't have a dog in this 'fight' because there's no way I'd own an automatic sports car. Automatic transmissions are just another degree of separation from being 'one' with the car. JMO.

Quick Reply: PDK fluid change after too much time causes MORE trouble?