Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK fluid change after too much time causes MORE trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 05:21 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,674 Likes on 637 Posts

My view is the PDK is essentially a manual transmission, not an automatic in the conventional sense.
It does not have a torque converter, but instead two clutch plates and computer control.
Thinking of it, and driving it, as a manual transmission, greatly changes the view on how to operate and the expectation on its performance.

Shifting into first except when stationary, grabbing gears when not warmed or loaded appropriately, or starting on hills without proper clutch or handbrake control will result in bumps and thumps accordingly?

After a 356A, 911S, and S800, I drive my 987 PDK with the same intent and expectations... it performs accordingly.

Old 06-21-2024, 10:25 AM
iflyjetzzz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
My view is the PDK is essentially a manual transmission, not an automatic in the conventional sense.
I vehemently disagree, but we all have our opinions.
Your physical interaction is playing with the paddle shifters to change gears. I can do pretty much the same with every automatic transmission. If playing with the buttons to change gears makes you feel like you're one with the car vs a manual transmission, OK.

And the PDK DOES have an automatic mode. I've yet to find an automatic mode for my 6-spd.

This was written by an engineer several years back; sums up my feelings on the subject (bolding mine):
A manual transmission is just that. It requires the operator to disengage the clutch, move the shift lever and re-engage the clutch. A decently adept driver can do that in perhaps 50 milliseconds, or a bit less. The PDK is the Porsche Dopple Koupling, a transmission that has two mainshafts and two clutches that allow the next gear to be pre-engaged, shifting is done by an electronically controlled mechanism which allows both automatic, computer controlled shifting and fingertip manual control through paddle shifters. It can shift in 5-7 milliseconds, and the automatic controlled program usually is faster than the paddles by being fully integrated into the engine and chassis management. It is faster than the stick shift accelerating and performing in a track environment. Paradoxically, the manual transmission is more engaging to the driver, and well done, reflects on the greater skill level of the driver.

Here's Wiki's definition of an automatic transmission: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
The PDK is simply a dual clutch automatic transmission. Which can be operated so that gears can be shifted manually, just like every automatic transmission that I've driven over the last 50 years.

Last edited by iflyjetzzz; 06-21-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
It does not have a torque converter, but instead two clutch plates and computer control.
Thinking of it, and driving it, as a manual transmission, greatly changes the view on how to operate and the expectation on its performance.

Shifting into first except when stationary, grabbing gears when not warmed or loaded appropriately, or starting on hills without proper clutch or handbrake control will result in bumps and thumps accordingly?

After a 356A, 911S, and S800, I drive my 987 PDK with the same intent and expectations... it performs accordingly.
I agree. I have just driven 3,500km in my manual 964 followed by 1,500km in my PDK Spyder.

The nature of the 964 torque and power delivery suits the manual transmission and I drive it with other air cooled, preferably.

The 987.2 3.4 delivers its power quite differently. With only 320hp, it’s got its work cut out keeping up with 981, 718, 997 and GT3, but I can do it by keeping the revs up, nailing the apexes, and concentrating on braking points. To me, the PDK box is the difference between cruising and keeping up. It’s also a damn nice option to have for the last 50km of slow highway traffic coming into the city.

Part of the PDK problem, if there is one, is that people don’t use them properly. For me it’s manual, sports mode and paddles. Never once have I had to worry about a money shift.

Last edited by John McM; 06-21-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:19 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,674 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
For me it’s manual, sports mode and paddles.
Perfect summary!
As without a torque converter (or CVT config), commanding the clutched gears is just paddle, not peddle.

Old 06-22-2024, 07:34 PM
oldbutslow
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Not completely defined in this conversation is the fact that you have two completely separate entities when it comes to “PDK” service. The clutch side and the transmission side. Change that clutch side twice as often as the transmission side. You’ll be rewarded with complete reliability on one of the most magical aspects of this car.

Quick Reply: PDK fluid change after too much time causes MORE trouble?