Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports Chrono Retrofit / PIWIS available in Southern California?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 02:05 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sports Chrono Retrofit / PIWIS available in Southern California?

Hey guys, I just purchased my dream 991 Carrera S and it's coming to San Diego this weekend. It's just missing the sports chrono package, and after going down the rabbit hole of others that have tried retrofitting this for 981's (minus the active engine mounts), I think I'm going to be the guinea pig for trying this on the 991.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tuner/mechanic in Southern California with PIWIS 2/3 Engineering access? That will be the tricky part of this project, since sourcing and transplanting the physical clock and sport plus button seem straight forward.

Here are some threads for context to what im trying to do. Major props to @Visual for being the pioneer on trying this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ware-side.html

https://autosvs.com/product/sport-ch...ayman-981-991/

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
olegd (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

I know that Vollig Autowerks (9393 Trade place, san diego) has a piwis. No idea though if this is a project they want to be involved with. You can call there and ask for Adam.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:25 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 161 Posts

Please keep us updated on your progress! Very interested in doing the same to my 2015 Carrera S with manual transmission.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:10 AM
900fc
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

@mwjackson92 Please keep us updated.
I purchased a chrono clock as well to retrofit in my 991.2, I know from previous thread where to wire back to the unit just to get clock working.
Interested to know if you are able to activate chrono option on PCM4 via PIWIS. I am ordering a PIWIS so I can get it done in few months as car is in storage now.

This is an YouTube video for install and wiring of the clock:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiQIruEEBA

Thanks,
Cedric

Last edited by 900fc; 01-23-2023 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:31 PM
osteoman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 900fc
I purchased a chrono clock as well to retrofit in my 991.2, I know from previous thread where to wire back to the unit just to get clock working.
Interested to know if you are able to activate chrono option on PCM4 via PIWIS. I am ordering a PIWIS so I can get it done in few months as car is in storage now.

This is an YouTube video for install and wiring of the clock:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiQIruEEBA

Thanks,
Cedric
I want to do the chrono clock additon as well for a 991.2, but nowhere kind I find if the clock has to be a 991 clock or if Caymen and Boxter clocks as finding used ones in good conditon is a challenge.
Does anyone know the answer?
TIA,
KW

Old 02-09-2024, 05:01 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by 900fc

Thanks,
Cedric
Hey Cedric, I wish I had better news for you. I researched this high and low, and my PCA friend was a master tech with Porsche and has a PIWIS 3. We were able to install the clock and activate the G meter page, but couldn’t activate Sport Plus or the chrono timer. The clock functions as a clock just fine, synced to your PCM time.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:18 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by osteoman
I want to do the chrono clock additon as well for a 991.2, but nowhere kind I find if the clock has to be a 991 clock or if Caymen and Boxter clocks as finding used ones in good conditon is a challenge.
Does anyone know the answer?
TIA,
KW
Hey KW,I have a 991.1 and was successful using a 2011 Panamera clock. The Boxster, cayman, and Panamera chrono clocks are often 1/2th the price but function and look exactly the same. The part number will be slightly different, but the harness plug in the back is the same.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:38 PM
900fc
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Hey Cedric, I wish I had better news for you. I researched this high and low, and my PCA friend was a master tech with Porsche and has a PIWIS 3. We were able to install the clock and activate the G meter page, but couldn’t activate Sport Plus or the chrono timer. The clock functions as a clock just fine, synced to your PCM time.
Clock has been working well for me, sync time with PCM. G meter was already on for me as I have a GT3. I don’t need Sport Plus as I have a manual but would be interested if I can get chono timer. In the meantime, my phone with external GPS is doing the job on track days.

Thanks for your feedback
Old 08-15-2024, 03:17 AM
Ldawgtheg
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving this thread. Cool to see folks retrofit the clock, housing and wiring to power it on.

For GT3 owners that have a PDK, anyone get the timer to work?
Old Today, 02:17 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I know that Vollig Autowerks (9393 Trade place, san diego) has a piwis. No idea though if this is a project they want to be involved with. You can call there and ask for Adam.
They are out of business.
Old Today, 02:27 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

This is your lucky day...the shop I am about to tell you about is the best in SD County....based on my personal experience with them, and Gary***, see below.
INDEPENDENT MOTORCARS
9220 Mira Este Court
San Diego, CA 92126 (Near Miramar Rd, somewhat close to MCAS Miramar.)
Independentmotorcars.com
Talk to Chris Keefer, Owner and Master Tech and race car driver
Working here is Gary, one of the best tech I have ever met. He had worked on my ex-991.1 Carrera S and now my 991.2 Carrera GTS. Gary worked at Vollig until it went under about a year ago.

When you talk to Chris, tell him Martin referred you.

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono Retrofit / PIWIS available in Southern California?