971 - Closing Cup Holders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 09:09 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 971 - Closing Cup Holders?

Hello everybody!

I searched for this, but came up empty. If I'm asking a question that's already been answered, please just point me in the right direction...

Anyone get these for their Panamera?
Closing Cup Holders : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)

If so, has anyone put together an installation guide and/or video for them?
The following users liked this post:
Chimuel (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 11:35 AM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

After reading that the center console needed to be removed, I decided that the best route for installation was at the dealer. They are nice to have and I find that they help keep random things from just "falling" into the cup holders (i.e. Straw wrappers, gum wrappers, etc.) I really like having them as it seems to tidy up the interior. I hope this helps.

Driver side view

Passenger side view

Last edited by ACowabunga; 05-27-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AcousTech
Hello everybody!

I searched for this, but came up empty. If I'm asking a question that's already been answered, please just point me in the right direction...

I'm interested in the DIY route as well -- unless it is way more involved. I saw somewhere on rennlist that someone posted the total installed price (It was over $500 with parts and labor)... Somewhat pricey for cupholders but it really does complete the interior look.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:14 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

@ACowabunga - Nice! Thanks for the pics. Do you recall how much the dealer charged?

@Chimuel Indeed. I’ll end up documenting it for others to benefit from the experience, assuming no such document already exists.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:44 PM
ACowabunga
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Acoustech: I seem to remember that the labor cost was in the vicinity of $600.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:50 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

600 to install some cup holders. Guys you can figrue it out.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Chimuel
Racer

@ACowabunga - Nice! Thanks for the pics. Do you recall how much the dealer charged?

@Chimuel Indeed. I’ll end up documenting it for others to benefit from the experience, assuming no such document already exists.

Any luck on this? Best I've found in my research is a part diagram.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:37 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Hey @Chimuel - nothing material yet. I've explored this a bit, but haven't got that far. I would love to see whatever is off to the left of that diagram. Like a diagram similar to this one, but that includes the shifter and surrounding housing.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Chimuel
Racer

Ah this:

Old 06-26-2021, 11:05 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Alright, for those interested, here you go. Before:

Before

During:
About 5.5 hours, taking it slow & cautiously.

Requires removal of:
Oddments/package box cover
Telephone Console - that little slot you can stick your phone in that boosts the cell signal.
Multimedia Interface - where you plug in your phone via USB cable
Cupholder cover
Package box
Selector **** - gear shift selector
Selector support
Upper part of center console cover - the chrome slot that surrounds the shift selector, volume ****, and hazards button
Switch console control panel - the buttons to the left and right of the gear shift selector for heated seats, etc.
Center air vent
Actuator for electronic parking brake
Upper part of center console - the leather surround for the switch console
Center console - this is what gives you access to the underside of the cupholders.

The actual work of swapping out the cupholders themselves probably took about 5 minutes.

Bonus: If you ever want to replace your piano black trim, or otherwise repair that center piece, the ashtray cover in the center console is the hardest piece to get to - this process makes that readily doable, too.

After:

After

It goes back together much more quickly - provided you position all the wires appropriately the first time around.

The only tools required are a couple of torx bits and nerves of steal as some parts are compression fit, and require considerable force to remove. Which, in turn, inspires trepidation and fears of a wallet set aflame. By far the hardest part was getting the package box cover springs reinstalled, which is right at the end of putting everything back together.

If folks have an appetite for the effort, I can probably write the process up if I can figure out the best way to do that on the forum. Ultimately, if this isn't the type of work you like to do, then the $500-$600 isn't actually crazy for what probably takes the Porsche techs 2-3 hours to do. There is substantial disassembly/reassembly required.
The following 2 users liked this post by AcousTech:
BertilDator (03-05-2023), hdavidson (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 01:54 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Alright, for those interested, here you go. Before:

Before

During:
About 5.5 hours, taking it slow & cautiously.

Requires removal of:
Oddments/package box cover
Telephone Console - that little slot you can stick your phone in that boosts the cell signal.
Multimedia Interface - where you plug in your phone via USB cable
Cupholder cover
Package box
Selector **** - gear shift selector
Selector support
Upper part of center console cover - the chrome slot that surrounds the shift selector, volume ****, and hazards button
Switch console control panel - the buttons to the left and right of the gear shift selector for heated seats, etc.
Center air vent
Actuator for electronic parking brake
Upper part of center console - the leather surround for the switch console
Center console - this is what gives you access to the underside of the cupholders.

The actual work of swapping out the cupholders themselves probably took about 5 minutes.

Bonus: If you ever want to replace your piano black trim, or otherwise repair that center piece, the ashtray cover in the center console is the hardest piece to get to - this process makes that readily doable, too.

After:

After

It goes back together much more quickly - provided you position all the wires appropriately the first time around.

The only tools required are a couple of torx bits and nerves of steal as some parts are compression fit, and require considerable force to remove. Which, in turn, inspires trepidation and fears of a wallet set aflame. By far the hardest part was getting the package box cover springs reinstalled, which is right at the end of putting everything back together.

If folks have an appetite for the effort, I can probably write the process up if I can figure out the best way to do that on the forum. Ultimately, if this isn't the type of work you like to do, then the $500-$600 isn't actually crazy for what probably takes the Porsche techs 2-3 hours to do. There is substantial disassembly/reassembly required.
Impressive work!! I’m not sure I would have such nerves of steel as you had but looks great! 👏
Old 06-27-2021, 04:31 AM
Joby
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello everybody!

I have these in my car, the entire center console needs to come out, it was $900 at the Porsche dealer and I had a $500 coupon, so that was the only reason I installed them, as you also have to purchase the cup holder. So pretty expensive and yes, they are nice, but I find myself just keeping them down and using to store my keys and anti bacteria gel.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:35 AM
Joby
Advanced

Here is the link when i installed them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...up-holder.html
Old 06-27-2021, 01:35 PM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would really appreciate it if you wouldn’t mind doing a write up on the process. Ive got a set sitting in a draw just waiting for me to find the time and nerve to do it.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Joby
Advanced

Originally Posted by hdavidson
I would really appreciate it if you wouldn’t mind doing a write up on the process. Ive got a set sitting in a draw just waiting for me to find the time and nerve to do it.
The dealer installed, so I don't have any process but I will say it took the dealer 5 hours to do it.

Quick Reply: 971 - Closing Cup Holders?