Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 01:51 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Track Precision App

Does anyone know how to connect the app to the 718 GT4/Spyder? Someone with 992 911 showed me yesterday the connection but it needs Porsche Wifi which I was not able to setup. I picked PCM 4.0 and plugged in cable with Apple carplay.

Any help would be appreciated!

The app is pretty cool, recognized the race track, does video recording and a bunch of other things from the computer.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Does anyone know how to connect the app to the 718 GT4/Spyder? Someone with 992 911 showed me yesterday the connection but it needs Porsche Wifi which I was not able to setup. I picked PCM 4.0 and plugged in cable with Apple carplay.

Any help would be appreciated!

The app is pretty cool, recognized the race track, does video recording and a bunch of other things from the computer.
what was the problem with establishing the wifi?

I assume that you have PCM nav optioned on your car?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:13 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

I don't have the nav optioned, just apple car car. I was not able to enable wifi at all. Is that the problem?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I don't have the nav optioned, just apple car car. I was not able to enable wifi at all. Is that the problem?
I believe that is it, you must spec PCM with Porsche Connect in order to use the app, just having Apple Car Play is not, I believe, enough
The following users liked this post:
mp2day (04-13-2022)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:25 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

So is there a way I can record my lap times using the sport chrono package that came with the car? I won't have video but use regular lap timer is better than nothing.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

So is there a way I can record my lap times using the sport chrono package that came with the car? I won't have video but use regular lap timer is better than nothing.
yes toggle into sport chrono on the dash display, and you can start/stop from the steering wheel stalk, but also checkout Harry's Laptimer Pro on either iPhone or Android store.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I believe that is it, you must spec PCM with Porsche Connect in order to use the app, just having Apple Car Play is not, I believe, enough
Yes NAV is required for this to work... just another thing on the list of things that require NAV to work.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:09 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes NAV is required for this to work... just another thing on the list of things that require NAV to work.
Well that sucks, I didn't pay for NAV. Thought the lap timer/chrono trigger was enough as ti says Track Precision App as standard. Never read the nav option description until now. Can it be retrofitted?

Last edited by Alan_S; 08-05-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan_S
Well that sucks, I didn't pay for NAV.
And I think retrofit is not an option or not a cheap one anyway...
Old 08-05-2020, 11:20 PM
McMGC
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Well that sucks, I didn't pay for NAV. Thought the lap timer/chrono trigger was enough as ti says Track Precision App as standard. Never read the nav option description until now. Can it be retrofitted?
I thought the same, then read in 991/981 threads that NAV is required. Paid $2300 just to get this App to work. Oh well.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:34 AM
Alan_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by minchu0647
I thought the same, then read in 991/981 threads that NAV is required. Paid $2300 just to get this App to work. Oh well.
At the end of the day, this will never be my primary track car. I only intend to take it a out occasionally. Paying for the option isn't worth it at the end of the day. I already have a full AIM dash and SmartyCam in my track car. This would have been cool to have, however. Bummer. But not a deal breaker.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Alan_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
And I think retrofit is not an option or not a cheap one anyway...
Retrofit is not an option according to further research. I suspect because retrofit nav is just a nav module and does not include the Porsche Connect hardware.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:32 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Retrofit is not an option according to further research. I suspect because retrofit nav is just a nav module and does not include the Porsche Connect hardware.
I thought that you could add both the NAV and Porsche Connect module after the fact, although I am not positive. Even though my Spyder is not destined to be a track star I wanted to be able to use this feature and others, so NAV was checked off from the beginning, I learned long ago with Porsche, get it at build time otherwise forget it or be prepared to pay.

I actually created threads here and the 718 Forum covering all of the things that factory NAV tied into but most people just complained about the maps... oh well.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I thought that you could add both the NAV and Porsche Connect module after the fact, although I am not positive. Even though my Spyder is not destined to be a track star I wanted to be able to use this feature and others, so NAV was checked off from the beginning, I learned long ago with Porsche, get it at build time otherwise forget it or be prepared to pay.

I actually created threads here and the 718 Forum covering all of the things that factory NAV tied into but most people just complained about the maps... oh well.
par for social media - even Rennlist sadly ... at least you avoided waking any trolls ...
The following users liked this post:
X2Board (04-06-2022)
Old 05-15-2021, 07:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So I thought I had this in the bag, it was connected to the phone, the car, the app, maybe even the world...

But somebody invited Mr. Murphy along for track day, so as you may have already guessed the Track Precision app failed to work, but I brought my GoPro so at least I have something to look at!

And a buddy with a GT4 has all i-stuff, even he had problems and was only able to snag 5 laps out of the entire outing, not what I would say is a full win but he did better the me...

I had hoped to find some information on this app, how it connects, the processes it need operational to work and a blue-print on how it communicates between the car and phone, but so far nada! I will eventually figure it but without any real documentation or explanations of the wireless communications that need to be active for everything to work this a real guessing game. Unfortunately Porsche has substituted poor/weak troubleshooting steps for connectivity as opposed to explaining or better yet drawing out the interactions for all of this.

Oh well, I guess it would not have been near as much fun if it all just worked out of the box... right?

Quick Reply: Track Precision App