Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:08 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Loaded up the Apple 3.5.1 Trace Precision and ran it at Road America yesterday. No issues on any session. I ran it connected to the PCM wirelessly, not thru Apple CarPlay. So I don't know if they fixed the video capture through CapPlay.

Only other bitch is they still will not let you export to MPH. Freaking tone deaf they are.
Since v3.5 there is now a setting to select MPH, PSI, Fahrenheit... at least there is in Android. I was able to set the "app" to MPH and re-export a prior lap in MPH (finally!). Does iPhone version have this setting ?
Old 06-28-2021, 03:32 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 418 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Since v3.5 there is now a setting to select MPH, PSI, Fahrenheit... at least there is in Android. I was able to set the "app" to MPH and re-export a prior lap in MPH (finally!). Does iPhone version have this setting ?
yep, I’ve noticed it since 3.5.1 on iOS
Old 06-28-2021, 03:48 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

IPhone has that for a while, the App displays laps in imperial units when using it on the iPhone. But exports to Metric, when exporting from the iPhone.

It’s not that big of a deal. In the grand scheme of things I’d rather have the software do it’s job 100% of the time, capture the data. It a great tool to get a quick look at your previous session on the track. Make those brake zone, apex approaches, and initial throttle app adjustments before heading back out. As @Westcoast pointed out, easy enough to convert.

I actually like the software and use it at every track day. But I still want to think in imperial, not metric.

Last edited by phefner; 06-28-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Well... I had an interesting and fun day at the track yesterday! Our dealer holds a "GT Car Day" every year and I was invited to attend, it was a beautiful day and an incredible turnout, Spyder's everywhere, even more GT4's a few GT3's and GTS's really quite spectacular!

SO... PTPA on my Android phone worked flawlessly, recording every lap of every session, simply connected to the on-board Wi-Fi and made the app ready for the track and it replied: "recording will start when you drive across the start/finish line"... and it did!

I have watched a few laps at random and they all look good, now if I could only EXPORT them, tried everything, just goes to about 4% and craps out say 'error; and please try again? I tried one lap, the entire session, named driver, no driver named nothing seems to make a difference? Is the 4K video recording too big?

FWIW I can cast the phone to the TV and watch my runs in 4K glory but it would be nice to share a lap or two.

Last edited by Westcoast; 08-09-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:33 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 106 Posts

I just used this for the first time last week. Everything worked fine ( 18 Cayman GTS and iPhone ) . I used carplay ( plugged in ) and video from phone . I brought my gopro , but didn't mess with it.

Exporting in metric only is annoying.

Last edited by ANGST; 08-10-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:49 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have watched a few laps at random and they all look good, now if I could only EXPORT them, tried everything, just goes to about 4% and craps out say 'error; and please try again? I tried one lap, the entire session, named driver, no driver named nothing seems to make a difference? Is the 4K video recording too big?

FWIW I can cast the phone to the TV and watch my runs in 4K glory but it would be nice to share a lap or two.
Hey West - I haven't been able to do any track sessions recently, but export is certainly a major pain in the a$$. Sometimes I can export a full session as one video, but many times a full session export completes but the resulting MP4 file is not a valid video (incorrect headers or something). In this instance, I then export all laps individually and I get 10 MP4 videos for 10 laps, which I can then join together with a video editor. (Crazy, I know).

If you are unable to export past 4%, you might try reducing the resolution as a test. I was originally using GoPro footage at 1920x1080p at 60fps, and I was unable to export. I re-rendered the original footage down to 1280x720p at 30fps and had better luck. It sucks to lose the higher resolution, but it may be worth a shot. On a PC, I use freeware called HandBrake to re-render.

Were you able to use your Android camera directly? On my device, I can't get a decent quality video directly using my phone camera (LG G6) - video frame rate is horrible and stutters constantly.

Originally Posted by ANGST
I just used this for the first time last week. Everything worked fine ( 18 Cayman GTS and iPhone ) . I used carplay ( plugged in ) and video from phone . I brought my gopro , but didn't mess with it.

Exporting in metric only is annoying.
Generally, PTPA works better on iPhone than Android, as Android devices have a lot more "variability"...

Check the settings in the app... on more recent versions there is a setting to indicates "units of measure", where you can set speed in MPH, temps in F, and pressure in PSI. At least there is on Android version.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:33 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Yes...iPhone Ver 3.5.3 does allow units to be changed, in the app. Still exports in Metric. Can't get Imperial in the export.

Just a nuisance is all.

I've been finding it to be stable and not difficult to export a lap or session.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:45 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

You need the Nav for this app right?
Old 08-10-2021, 12:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
You need the Nav for this app right?
Yes, AFAIK... it can be added after the fact though.

Last edited by Westcoast; 08-10-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey West - I haven't been able to do any track sessions recently, but export is certainly a major pain in the a$$. Sometimes I can export a full session as one video, but many times a full session export completes but the resulting MP4 file is not a valid video (incorrect headers or something). In this instance, I then export all laps individually and I get 10 MP4 videos for 10 laps, which I can then join together with a video editor. (Crazy, I know).

If you are unable to export past 4%, you might try reducing the resolution as a test. I was originally using GoPro footage at 1920x1080p at 60fps, and I was unable to export. I re-rendered the original footage down to 1280x720p at 30fps and had better luck. It sucks to lose the higher resolution, but it may be worth a shot. On a PC, I use freeware called HandBrake to re-render.

Were you able to use your Android camera directly? On my device, I can't get a decent quality video directly using my phone camera (LG G6) - video frame rate is horrible and stutters constantly.

Generally, PTPA works better on iPhone than Android, as Android devices have a lot more "variability"...

Check the settings in the app... on more recent versions there is a setting to indicates "units of measure", where you can set speed in MPH, temps in F, and pressure in PSI. At least there is on Android version.
Yep the app, the phone and it's internal camera functioned perfectly on Sunday, I have nearly 50 laps recorded over 5 sessions and on the phone or when cast to the 4K Tv looks awesome!

So by reducing the resolution are you finding the native file on the phone, pulling it off, rendering it to a lower resolution then putting it back onto the phone so you can then export it via PTPA? Right now the stuff on the phone is all 4K resolution 30fps.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

FYI - they wont use the TPA at the Porsche Sport Driving School(s) - quoted as "too unreliable" !!!
Old 08-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Yep the app, the phone and it's internal camera functioned perfectly on Sunday, I have nearly 50 laps recorded over 5 sessions and on the phone or when cast to the 4K Tv looks awesome!

So by reducing the resolution are you finding the native file on the phone, pulling it off, rendering it to a lower resolution then putting it back onto the phone so you can then export it via PTPA? Right now the stuff on the phone is all 4K resolution 30fps.
Generally, yes. However, in my case, I could not reliably use my phone's camera, so I used an external and manually operated GoPro. I then reduced the resolution and transferred back to my phone, manually sync'ed the video in PTPA and then exported.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Generally, yes. However, in my case, I could not reliably use my phone's camera, so I used an external and manually operated GoPro. I then reduced the resolution and transferred back to my phone, manually sync'ed the video in PTPA and then exported.
hmmmm, OK quick Q, where is PTPA storing those files?
Old 08-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

hmmmm, OK quick Q, where is PTPA storing those files?
For me it was in the following path: / SD Card / Android / data / com.porsche.track.precision / files

You are looking for files named: DD.MM.YYYY HH.MM.SS_0.mp4

Last edited by Fast-Eddie; 08-10-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For me it was in the following path: / SD Card / Android / data / com.porsche.track.precision / files

You are looking for files named: DD.MM.YYYY HH.MM.SS_0.mp4
Thanks, that's where they are, cool I will look at loading up handbrake and reducing the resolution...

Quick Reply: Track Precision App