Sponsored by:

Solo DL CAN BUS help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 06:59 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Solo DL CAN BUS help!

Hoping someone can help me or know the answer...

I installed my Solo DL via CAN-bus/ECU in my 2014 991.1 GT3 last night. I was supposed to drop the car off at the dealer today for an alignment. When I went to start the car, several faults came up. Specifically, PASM, head light controller, rear steering, and ESC-TC faults.

My Solo DL was previously installed in a different Porsche via CAN bus and had worked fine. I followed the excellent directions on ProCoach's website: http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2...ll%20Guide.pdf

Following those directions, I connected CAN+ to orange/red wire and CAN- to orange/brown wire. Are those the correct wires for 2014 991.1 GT3??? When I previously researched, I thought orange/red and orange/brown were the correct wires. Orange (or yellow)/purple and orange/brown wires were brought up by some people, but they seemed to be for the RS, etc.

Can someone confirm the CAN/ECU wires in 991.1 GT3?

Thank you.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:30 PM
fcap
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds right. This is the AIM page https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...11_106_eng.pdf . Did this on 2015 GT3 with no problems. It does sound like the connection is wrong and breaking the CAN bus. Is it broken with just the cable installed? Did you reconfigure the Solo for this ECU/CAN?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:43 PM
fcap
Intermediate

Not sure what you got if you followed 981 instructions in your post.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Cobb (07-26-2024)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:58 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

The directions do say 981 GT4, but I was under the impression that 991 GT3 was the same as far as CAN and installation. ? I had Solo DL attached to the cable last night to make sure it powered up. May have been naivete, but I took the powering up to mean that the installation was correct. Engine or ignition were not started last night.

On starting the engine today, Solo DL was NOT connected to the ECU cable. I had not configured the Solo to 991 ECU yet.

Solo DL and ECU cable were previously installed in a 987.2. I also use the Solo in my SM race car, but just as a lap timer and acceleration and speed logs.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:03 PM
fcap
Intermediate

I think you need to install the wires per the AIM installation guide. There are multiple wires of the same color in the car and so you need to attach to them at the correct point. Go back and do them per the AIM guide for the 991.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:11 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

You may be right. Where I connected the CAN cable is what is on ProCoach's guide (near the door), but I see that the AiM guide (BTW, thanks for that) shows connecting to the wire bundle above the fuse box in the foot well.... Good thing I twisted then soldered the wires in!

Wish I could test this.... Car is currently at the dealer for an alignment (and checking into the faults). They may have a freak out with this.....
Old 09-13-2019, 08:12 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fcap
I think you need to install the wires per the AIM installation guide. There are multiple wires of the same color in the car and so you need to attach to them at the correct point. Go back and do them per the AIM guide for the 991.
BTW, did you (or do you remember) install the cable above the fuse box in the foot well?
Old 09-13-2019, 08:18 PM
fcap
Intermediate

Definitely on the connector they show above the fuse box. Kind of have to stand on your head to get to it. Easier if you take the connector off but you can do it with the connector attached. Get these if you have time - Posi-Tap in 20-22 awg. A lot easier than solder.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for your help! I'll try connecting at the Gateway and see if that resolves the issue. Hopefully the wrong connection didn't damage anything...

I was hoping ProCoach or another dealer would confirm the different connection points of GT3 vs. GT4..
Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,870 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman

Thank you.
Originally Posted by fcap
Not sure what you got if you followed 981 instructions in your post.
First off, the 991_911 CAN protocol for the AiM Solo DL and other AiM loggers functions the same, so the orange/red (CAN+, AiM white) and orange/brown (CAN-, AiM blue) are the same for both cars.

Second, the CAN twisted pair color is the same throughout the car, so where you pick it up machts nichts, makes no difference.

Third, I have never had a Solo DL and Solo 2 DL on the ECU protocol of make: Porsche and model: 991_911 throw codes on the 991.1 street cars, although there was some difficulty with the very early cars with other loggers. Make sure it’s terminated (if it’s a Solo 2 DL, not if it’s a Solo DL) and silent on the CANbus.

I’ve sold more than three hundred for just 991.1 alone, and they work as they should. Glad to see if I can help offline.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-13-2019 at 11:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scott40 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Hmm... very interesting. Thank you.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
although there was some difficulty with the very early cars. Make sure it’s terminated (if it’s a Solo 2 DL, not if it’s a Solo DL) and silent on the CANbus.
Would you mind explaining what you mean by terminated and silent on CAN bus? Mine is Solo DL, not 2, BTW. Also, what were the difficulties with very early cars? I don't know where my 991.1 GT3 falls in terms of production date.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:13 PM
raysmd
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure you have a secure ground connection. I had an issue where a faulty ground resulted in complete engine shutdown
Old 09-13-2019, 11:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hmm... very interesting. Thank you.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by terminated and silent on CAN bus? Mine is Solo DL, not 2, BTW. Also, what were the difficulties with very early cars? I don't know where my 991.1 GT3 falls in terms of production date.
The original Solo DL uses Race Studio 2, which does not have these options. Nor does it need the termination turned on because it has a resistor built into the OBDII plug.

The very earliest cars had a CAN profile closer to the 997.2, may have been the same one, Porsche changed it around 2014 model year for the standard cars. This does not effect the 991.1 GT3 or AiM products, only MoTeC and VBOX in the standard cars.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 PM
fcap
Intermediate

Well, good luck.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Orange (or yellow)/purple and orange/brown wires were brought up by some people, but they seemed to be for the RS, etc.

Thank you.
Orange/purple and orange/brown are 991.2 (GT2 RS, GT3 and GT3 RS) for VBOX. Different CAN than AiM.

Here is the guide for 981 GT4/991.1 and 991.2 for the AiM Solo DL and Solo 2 DL. With Posi-taps...
Attached Images
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Solo DL CAN BUS help!