Sponsored by:

Oil cooler fan operation question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 03:16 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Oil cooler fan operation question

So after replacing my cooler, the car is running significantly colder oil temps (yay), but I replaced the fan at the same time with one from Autobahn. I have yet to see the fan work, even with the oil temps at 9 o’clock. I’ve tried engaging the AC that isn’t there, and the fan does not come on. Is it a given that with the AC on, the fan should at least come on low speed? I’m wondering if doing the oil cooler ballast at the same time if something went wrong. I’ve doubled checked the cooler fan harness is fully seated, though I haven’t been able to double check the ballast harness. I’m 95% sure it’s fully seated, but without pulling the bumper off again, I can’t 100% confirm.

Any thoughts on how to verify the fan is actually working before I slap the wheel well liner back on?
Old 05-25-2019, 03:39 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Hmm let it idle long enough and the fan eventually came on, but it appears to be at high speed. Wasn’t paying close enough attention to see if it came on low speed first. When I checked the oil temp was hovering around 9:30-9:45ish. Not sure around what temp low speed is engaged though?
Old 05-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

is your resister good? AC won't change anything IIRC, that will activate the fan on the driver side (that you don't have?)

Its coming on about the right time thought, which is ~10 o'clock. which is too high for me. I modded with a resister in parallel to the sensor and it comes on right at 9. With the secondary cooler I have the car runs about 2 needles below the first line (about 180) all the time now.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:03 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

You can always pull the relay then use jumpers to activate the fan check Tore’s site I think it tells you which sockets to jump
Old 05-25-2019, 05:19 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
is your resister good? AC won't change anything IIRC, that will activate the fan on the driver side (that you don't have?)

Its coming on about the right time thought, which is ~10 o'clock. which is too high for me. I modded with a resister in parallel to the sensor and it comes on right at 9. With the secondary cooler I have the car runs about 2 needles below the first line (about 180) all the time now.

Which resistor specifically? The ballast resistor on that side? I just put a new one in when I replaced the cooler. If it's coming on at the right temp I'm not too worried about it. The condenser/dryer/whatever is wedged into the left front is still there, however the compressor is not. That fan I did confirm comes on with the AC button engaged, but it wasn't activating the oil cooler fan which I mistakenly thought it did.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964
You can always pull the relay then use jumpers to activate the fan check Tore’s site I think it tells you which sockets to jump
Good call forgot about that
Old 05-25-2019, 07:29 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

+1. This is what I did to make sure my fan was working properly, easy to check low and high speed functionality. I also tested the relay while it was out to make sure it was not faulty.

From P-car https://p-car.com/diy/fan/
To verify that the fan will physically operate in slow or fast speed:
-Remove relay R04 (oil cooler blower).
-Jump terminals 3(30) and 7(87c) for slow speed. Fan should run, even with the ignition off. If the fan runs in slow speed, your ballast resistor should be okay.
-Jump terminals 3(30) and 5(87) for fast speed. Fan should run, even with the ignition off.
You can check the A/C condenser fan similarly, removing relay R14.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:38 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
+1. This is what I did to make sure my fan was working properly, easy to check low and high speed functionality. I also tested the relay while it was out to make sure it was not faulty.

From P-car https://p-car.com/diy/fan/

That's awesome detail, thank you.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:54 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

FWIW, you can also unplug the temp sensor at the oil cooler and attach a potentiometer, ie a variable resistor, and slowly turn to simulate the temp sensor. Fan should come on slow and fast depending on resistor value. It worked for me.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:07 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
FWIW, you can also unplug the temp sensor at the oil cooler and attach a potentiometer, ie a variable resistor, and slowly turn to simulate the temp sensor. Fan should come on slow and fast depending on resistor value. It worked for me.
You can just unplug the temp and it will run on high when ever the car is on
Old 05-26-2019, 01:04 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You can just unplug the temp and it will run on high when ever the car is on
Installing a manual override switch does the same thing as it just breaks the circuit and once the CCU doesn’t see the temp sensor it goes into fast speed mode. I chose to do this as I like to be able to control the oil cooler fan myself.
It’s my understanding that the ballist resistor just controls the low speed fan operation that, as others have mentioned, should engage at the 9oclock position.
First step is to jumper the relay for both slow and fast speed. I had a bad temp sensor. There are a lot of if and thens to figuring out what needs to be replaced, but Tores site is very comprehensive and walks you through each step eliminating everything along the way so you know exactly what needs to be fixed.

The way Porsche used the CCU to control all of this is a nightmare and hopefully that doesn’t end up being your problem...but, there are a few places that repair them.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:10 AM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Installing a manual override switch does the same thing as it just breaks the circuit and once the CCU doesn’t see the temp sensor it goes into fast speed mode. I chose to do this as I like to be able to control the oil cooler fan myself.
It’s my understanding that the ballist resistor just controls the low speed fan operation that, as others have mentioned, should engage at the 9oclock position.
First step is to jumper the relay for both slow and fast speed. I had a bad temp sensor. There are a lot of if and thens to figuring out what needs to be replaced, but Tores site is very comprehensive and walks you through each step eliminating everything along the way so you know exactly what needs to be fixed.

The way Porsche used the CCU to control all of this is a nightmare and hopefully that doesn’t end up being your problem...but, there are a few places that repair them.

Good to know. While it was apart I replaced the cooler temp sensor, and ballast resistor. Sounds like I should jump the relay to confirm the low speed, and then go from there.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler fan operation question