Sponsored by:

New GT3 owner with question about CL wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 AM
rezanourai
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GT3 owner with question about CL wheels

I traded my 991 C2S for a 991 GT3 a few weeks ago, and just took it to the track (Laguna Seca) this past Friday. What an amazing car! Second session out while still getting used to the car I already hit a new personal best laptime of 1:41 there, and I know I have at least 2-3 seconds left in me, but then I failed sound and had to start backing off a bit.

Today, I tried pulling the wheels off to inspect brakes & other components and do routine inspection/maintenance planning for track use. I had ordered a 40" breaker & torque wrench combo, and have all the other supplies I need (I think), however I just could not get the center lock to budge. Here are the steps I followed:

1. used a spreader clamp to keep the brake pedal firmly down
2. jack the corner I'm working on up in the air (unfortunately, my quick jack system is leaking and I haven't yet filed warranty claim, so had to fall back to floor jack & stand)
3. Use the little tool that comes with the car to pop the cap off
4. Fit the wrench head to the breaker bar (vs the torque wrench) and use the special socket that comes with the car
5. pushed it in on the wheel until I heard it "click" into place. In theory this should have released the locking mechanism?
6. tried applying A LOT of force (in upward pull motion) to try and loosen the CL. I even had to ask my wife to hold the steering wheel because the wheels would start to move side to side.
7. could not get them to move. tried another wheel. Same story

I feel like maybe the locking mechanism didn't release fully? Otherwise they shouldn't be this tough with a 40" breaker, right? I verified the locking mechanism had popped back to the locked position (flush with the teeth) before putting the caps back on and calling it quits for the day.

Any advice or suggestions? Anything obvious I'm missing? Thanks!
Old 10-22-2018, 03:23 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Dear God! So happy for my lug nuts!
Old 10-22-2018, 03:58 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Pull harder, and try the rears first before you mess around with the fronts that want to steer. I use a breaker bar around 48" to loosen them and they never seem THAT tight...
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

They were too much for me to mess w/ on my cars and I gave in to using my indy for stuff like you're doing. Whatever benefit the CL's provide (and that's dubious to me) is far outweighed by their inconvenience.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Additional leverage will definitely help. I use a 40” breaker plus a 24” pipe that I insert at the end to make it a longer bar for extra leverage. Just be careful to make sure you have a pipe that fits snuggly and does not slip.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:55 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 717 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
They were too much for me to mess w/ on my cars and I gave in to using my indy for stuff like you're doing. Whatever benefit the CL's provide (and that's dubious to me) is far outweighed by their inconvenience.
This for me cant help. Local dealer for all CL needs.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:20 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully the previous owner applied a sufficient amount of the Castrol anti-seize paste. If not, it is really difficult to remove but doable with more force.

CLs are no big deal once you have done it a couple times and have a system in place. You also personally know it is properly inspected, greased, and installed.

Once the tool is inserted, the CL should be released. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The center of the nut should be free and bounce up and down the spring with finger pressure. Make sure that is the case or the nut is locked and you won't be able to move it. They can sometimes get stuck and need to be hammered in to release. If it is free, then you just need more leverage. It requires enough force where someone must be holding the steering wheel and brakes powered on with the front wheels
Old 10-22-2018, 12:07 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

they are not that hard to take off, perhaps they were over torque'd when last put on? as you track the car perhaps take to the dealer to check out this time, but after that its relatively simple, if annoying, process.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

First you need a 48" torque wrench to apply the pressure needed to release the nut.
If you have a Precison Instruments torque wrench use it but make sure the handle is in the proper orientation "Clockwise or Counter Clockwise"
If needed start the car and use the power brakes to hold the wheel from turning.
As Orthojoe stated start with a rear wheel.
When you get the wheel off make sure you clean off the Optimally paste from the nut and wheel center(use WD-40 as a solvent)
Re Apply Optimally paste to both nut mating surface as well as wheel.
Re torque to 442 foot pounds.
Centerlocks are easy you just need to do it once.
PM me with questions.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

I purchased a 6:1 torque multiplier. I could get the wheels off with a 20" breaker bar. Made my life easy. Only required about 73 ft/lb to torque the wheels. Now it makes a nice paper weight on my tool bench. No CLs on the GT4 Not cheap but it was worth it.
https://www.grainger.com/product/PRO..._vc=IDPPLARECS
Old 10-22-2018, 04:59 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone use impact drills to remove CLs? the newer cordless / brushless ones are pretty freaking strong. I have a heavy duty dewalt 1/2 one but also found the compact 1/4 brushess will work as well for lugs.

I don't have the "pleasure" of owning a CL car, just curious.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:27 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Does anyone use impact drills to remove CLs? the newer cordless / brushless ones are pretty freaking strong. I have a heavy duty dewalt 1/2 one but also found the compact 1/4 brushess will work as well for lugs.

This is not something you want to do with the street CL. The motorsports ones......sure.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,757 Likes on 2,710 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh

Would make life so much nicer, if possible! I watched a guy with a Cup do this on Friday with a cordless (and the built-in air jacks) and it made me Soooo jealous. Was so simple...

Not allowed on the street cars - maximum suffering is part of the design brief...
Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

I picked up a GT3 about 2 weeks ago and had the same exact experience the first time I took them off. I used the precision instruments breaker bar and could have used another foot or two worth of leverage.

It took everything I had the break them loose the first time. When I took the wheels off again a week later they came off much more easily. I think they were over torqued when I got it.

If you find a longer breaker bar, or a strong friend to help, you should be all right.

One other thing to remember, when you put the wheels back on, if the lock mechanism is not flush after torquing, use a 1/2" socket extension to gently rotate the lock mechanism Clockwise and Counter Clockwise until it pops out. I had to do this to a couple of my wheels.

Quick Reply: New GT3 owner with question about CL wheels