New GT3 owner with question about CL wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,144 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Originally Posted by avusm3
One other thing to remember, when you put the wheels back on, if the lock mechanism is not flush after torquing, use a 1/2" socket extension to gently rotate the lock mechanism Clockwise and Counter Clockwise until it pops out. I had to do this to a couple of my wheels.
Actually, the little plastic tool that comes with the car to pull off the center caps is meant for this job (turn it around and insert the handle side into the lock to secure - twist to pop it flush).

Whether you use this tool, the extension, or something else, make sure not to miss this step. Very important unless you want to be be passed on track by your own wheel
Old 10-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Can weld and fabricate a bit. Made a 6 foot breaker bar. Hell Yeah!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:40 AM
rezanourai
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be helping a friend do brakes on his C7 vette in a couple weeks at my place, and I'll try again with him to see if we can get these open. I suspect previous person over torqued them or didn't apply enough grease. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Szpet
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a Stahlwille 720Nf/80. It´s very sturdy and easy to use. 105cm long and you can use it as a breaker bar.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:18 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rezanourai
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be helping a friend do brakes on his C7 vette in a couple weeks at my place, and I'll try again with him to see if we can get these open. I suspect previous person over torqued them or didn't apply enough grease. Thanks!
Centrelocks are usually a pain to get off after track use. The extreme heat from the track tends to dry the paste between the mating surfaces and this doesn't help the process.

To get them off as others have suggested, you need leverage. I use a snap-on 3 foot breaker bar and I sleeve it with a 5.5 foot pipe. It then requires my full body weight applied at the end of that pipe to crack them (and I weigh 85kg). I would suggest cracking them whilst only slightly jacked but still on the floor and then lifting the car to loosen them.

Also, you should push down on the end of the breaker bar, don't pull up. You won't be able to apply the force required and you will do your back. Let gravity and your weight help you.

If you find the clamp on the brake doesn't hold, get a friend to sit in the car, start it and press the brake. Often without the brake booster, it's hard to clamp the kind of force required to get them on and off...
Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

I work out often (4 to 9 times a week), and I had problems breaking and tightening the CL nuts using the Precision Instruments package (torque wrench, breaker bar, extension), these tools are now long abandoned. You can hurt yourself for life if trying to change wheels in these cars and you're not in top shape.

I bought a 6:1 Torque Multiplier (not cheap), and I use it with a 1/2" breaker bar, and a 1/2" Snap-On torque wrench. Super easy, and no mega strength needed.

One time I measured the strength needed to break loose on nut, using my P.I. torque wrench to break it as to measure actual torque needed: 680 ft-lbs needed, more torque than the maximum produced by my GT3 RS, or my C7 Z06, or my 991 Turbo S, any 3' or 4' breaker bar would require a lot of human force to break this loose, but with the 6:1 multiplier: 113 ft-lbs on a 3' breaker bar is super easy.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:20 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Does anyone use impact drills to remove CLs? the newer cordless / brushless ones are pretty freaking strong. I have a heavy duty dewalt 1/2 one but also found the compact 1/4 brushess will work as well for lugs.

I don't have the "pleasure" of owning a CL car, just curious.
You will destroy a lot of aluminum parts, cannot be used. Anyway, they haven't invented a cordless impact drill that can handle upward of 700 ft-lbs.

I have the latest Dewalt 1/2 impact, works in all my cars, except the two ones with CL.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I set my car up on the hoist, but leave the wheels on the ground and crack all the centrelocks approx 1/8 of a turn before lifting, there is still plenty of torque on the locks so that no damage can be done to any components. It makes life so much easier as you are pushing against a solid for that initial breaking of the seal. I torque them up with the car lifted and have only ever needed to use a reverse clamp on the brake pedal, all with the precision instruments wrench and breaker bar.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Szpet
I use a Stahlwille 720Nf/80. It´s very sturdy and easy to use. 105cm long and you can use it as a breaker bar.
I love the Stahlwille torque tools - the best! Unfortunately, they're expensive and the tool above is around $1,000 with shipping to US at discount rate from Germany:

https://www.hanico.com/gb/stahlwille....html?___SID=U

But in the US, they cost nearly double:

http://www.transcat.com/stahlwille-50190081-50190081

So, I bought the American one that most on this board use.

I have Stahlwille for all the smaller stuff (3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches and many attachments) which are slightly more affordable. In fact they're so well made and hold their calibration so well (no need to store at "zero"), that it's usually very safe to buy them used on ebay (often have to search Germany)...
Old 10-29-2018, 10:58 PM
rezanourai
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got myself a torque multiplier wrench. Will try it out this coming weekend and see how it goes
Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Someone above mentioned cleaning the parts with WD40 before putting on new lube and reinstalling.

Does anyone else actually do that?? This is the first I’m hearing it mentioned and it sounds like a nightmare!
Old 10-29-2018, 11:32 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Someone above mentioned cleaning the parts with WD40 before putting on new lube and reinstalling.

Does anyone else actually do that?? This is the first I’m hearing it mentioned and it sounds like a nightmare!
I've had mine on and off a dozen times or so swapping around wheel/tire combos and have never done the WD40 cleaning. I do check the paste patterns and smooth it as needed each time.
At this point, I prefer CL to standard lugs.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:42 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Would make life so much nicer, if possible! I watched a guy with a Cup do this on Friday with a cordless (and the built-in air jacks) and it made me Soooo jealous. Was so simple...

Not allowed on the street cars - maximum suffering is part of the design brief...
You won't be jealous when there is 25K transmission rebuild after 80 hours, LOL!

Originally Posted by rezanourai
Got myself a torque multiplier wrench. Will try it out this coming weekend and see how it goes
Make sure to use a piece of hardwood under the reaction bar if you don't want a divot in your garage floor. Good luck!

Last edited by montoya; 10-30-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:21 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
You wont be jealous when there is 25K transmission rebuild after 80 hours, LOL!
I'm not jealous of the sequential gearbox (love the manual, even on track)

But watching that guy change wheels with no floor jack, jack stands, breaker bar, torque wrench, or nasty aluminum paste in a couple minutes did make me green with envy
Old 10-30-2018, 12:34 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I was such a fan of the C/L wheels... but after changing them a couple dozen times already, I can tell you if they offered a 5 lug version... I'd pay for it every day!

I've got the entire swap down to less than 20 minutes (and I re-apply the paste every time). But the friggin 'mess' you get on your hands and your tools... with the friggin alloy paste is ridiculous!

Just give me an impact and 5 lugs... Wouldn't take 10 minutes and would be clean every time.

Another 'trick' is to set the emergency brake and then have someone hold the brake pedal (Or use spreader clamp on wheel/brake)... that usually makes the rears fairly easy. The Fronts, I prefer to have someone 'in the car' to hold the steering wheel straight.

You'll get it!

Best Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: New GT3 owner with question about CL wheels