Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know that rain can ruin these cars but what about heat ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I know that rain can ruin these cars but what about heat ?

110 in Dallas today, 118 in Phoenix Tuesday.

Does anyone else avoid driving their Pcar when it gets this hot or when they have to use AC ? Since I bought by car I only take it out early in the morning and cool evenings (which have been rare this summer).

Looking forward to fall and even winter which both have perfect top down weather in Dallas.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:22 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

It's a car... Drive it.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:40 PM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive mine in 100 degree weather. Get a good sunshade and use it when parked. Depending on my last detail I may use some leather conditioner and plastic protector to prevent UV damage.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 238 Posts

I suggest not driving the car at all, this way it will last longer ;-)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,771 Likes on 1,106 Posts

These cars are tested in extreme temps. I don’t think there’s that much difference between an 87F day on a cloudless day with direct sun versus a 100F on a partly cloudy day in terms of surface temps of paint and interior parts, etc. UV protection will happen with the windows up anyway.

Garage kept is going to have the biggest impact on wear.

I don’t think rain is all that bad either. Salted roads are much worse, and even those driving in salted roads for years don’t report much or any body rust.

Running the AC doesn’t cause any significant wear. In fact, not using it for prolonged periods of time could make things worse. Some people run AC all the time because it actually says so in some manuals. Yet, people aren’t repairing AC components more often.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

During extreme hot days and slow traffic the only thing I notice is that idle oil pressure is slightly lower. I'm considering higher viscosity oil but like the Mobil 1 new life so I wait.

However I usually open the engine bay lid when stopped after a drive to let the hot air out faster. There is a lot of stored heat and when stopped there is no airflow to suck it out. I even saw someone who placed a fan under the front of the car to help evacuating hot air after a drive.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:21 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

I think you should worry about keeping yourself hydrated first before worrying about how your car will hold up in 110 degree heat. Extreme climate is part of all automobile manufacture's testing metric.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...nes-15576.html
Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Over 115 in the sun you can't touch the wheel or shifter until you get it cooled down.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

I appreciate your being careful with your car. like most members, I take excellent care of mine as well. But, you're not going to hurt it unless you run into something. They are durable and easy to maintain. They are satisfying to clean and polish. Put on a few coats of good wax, I like Wolfgang Fuzion, and drive it whenever you like.

These cars are very popular in the Middle East where 120 is a typical summer day. They popular with the techies near Seattle. There is a lot of rain in Seattle. Porsche wheel wells overhang the tires because Porsche makes them to clear snow chains; they are driven in the snow regularly throughout Europe. Rear engine cars are great in the snow; especially AWD rear engine cars.

Porsche paint colors look great in the sun! They handle well in the wet and slick. These are well-engineered cars that do not need to be babied. Worldwide, Porsche 911s are regarded as the most practical exotic cars available. Some people may argue "exotic," but they're closer to exotics than most sports cars. Enjoy your Porsche. Live a little, take it out on a sunny day. Buy some Porsche Carrera sunglasses and enjoy yourself!

People the world over have driven Porsche 911's daily for 55 years. You are taking excellent care of your Porsche, and the next owner will be thrilled with their purchase. But, you can afford to take off the kid gloves and live a little. Enjoy your car. Your car was built to be driven. Do it!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
During extreme hot days and slow traffic the only thing I notice is that idle oil pressure is slightly lower. I'm considering higher viscosity oil but like the Mobil 1 new life so I wait.

However I usually open the engine bay lid when stopped after a drive to let the hot air out faster. There is a lot of stored heat and when stopped there is no airflow to suck it out. I even saw someone who placed a fan under the front of the car to help evacuating hot air after a drive.

Racetwin - those are good tips! I've been considering having an exhaust fan installed in our garage and vents for inlets. The reason being is that the master bedroom is directly above these cars and they can bring it a lot of BTUs the AC has to fight.

It's 110 today and the bedroom which was 68 last night will be 80-81 at 8pm despite us having 2 AC units set at 70 and running full time. In Dallas they don't turn off for several months in a row. Amazing little machines.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:05 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 811 Likes on 456 Posts

I think most people can relate to this but I made plans with my other 40 something/busy career people/complicated family life friends for a couple weeks ago but as it got closer to the date, I realized it was going to be 115 driving in LA through OC to SD traffic. It was so hard to make the plans with everyone that I just decided to drive down even though I knew it would suck. It ended up being 118-121 on the freeway from Pasadena to Poway (Los Angeles area to San Diego area). My oil temps were up to about 250 because in a lot of places, the traffic was just stopped...but temps were stable (at or below 250 + stable oil pressure and water temp) and I made sure to check my oil just in case, both when I was at my destination after the car had fully cooled, and again after driving home to LA.

It has been weeks since of above 90 degree weather here and oil level/temps/pressure and all that are 100% solid. It gets over 90 here around July 1 and over 100 for all of August pretty much...and I will still daily my car without hesitation. If I have any issues, I would upgrade my radiators, add a 3rd center radiator, and I would upgrade any oil coolers/trans coolers to higher capacity ones as I did with my EVOs when I would track it at WSIR and BRP in the summer, which is just brutal (and not advised).

I did notice that driving from LA to the bay area (FD Motorsports!!) and back in more mellow weather, and then driving to SDand back in extreme weather, I will lose about 25% of 1 quart from full, which seems about normal for all NA cars I have owned and less than any turbo car I've owned. I drive over 85 at all times if there is no traffic, and faster if there are 0 cars on the road when possible. I also spend A LOT of time in LA traffic during the week. I never drive my car like it is a Prius. I drive it like a 911, otherwise I would have a Prius. I expect this has an affect on oil temps/levels...

Last, when I drive my car in temperatures that I would consider extreme (above or tracking, canyon driving on hot days...), I do change my fluids x2 as much as is recommended, so if you are supposed to get an oil change every 6k, I would get one at 3k but that is my own thing.

Sometimes I also drive around just letting money fly out my sunroof for fun. Kids love it.

I tried to attach a video. If it doesn't work, I can upload it to YouTube.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 811 Likes on 456 Posts

...so the video did not see to work. Here is a link:

one last thing I noticed is the wing comes up earlier in sport driving but also it seems to come up when temps get higher automatically. Is this true? As a result, when my temps are above 220 or so to 250, I will just put the wing up in traffic, which definitely lets a lot of heat out if you put your hand near it. I also think/hope it lets in more air when driving in slower traffic (i.e. under 65).
Old 07-21-2018, 06:16 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

It's made of various metals & plastics.
It's not made of butter & chocolate.

Besides, where you are in Texas...

Old 07-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,771 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2

The reason for lower oil pressure is simply because the oil is hotter. Unless you are tracking the car, this is normal and switching to higher viscosity oil will increase oil pressure maybe 1/2 a point. But at the expense of higher cold oil viscosity on startup, which causes the most wear. Again, if you are not tracking it, the current oil is probably better and higher oil pressure is not necessarily better. You generally want 10 psi (.69 Bar) for each 1,000 RPM. So if your car is like mine and pegges 5 bar when hot at 3k rpm or higher, more pressure isn’t doing anything but sapping energy and retaining heat (more viscous oil tends to have a higher heat capacity).

Also, the engine compartment cooling fan on this car sucks air from top to bottom, and turns on automatically when temps get past a certain threshold. If the fan is working properly and not coming on very often, I see no need to forcibly cool the engine bay. And putting a fan under the car and blowing air in the opposite direction (from what Porsche originally engineered) may not do much good, since 90% of the engine cooling comes from the radiators.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:32 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
110 in Dallas today, 118 in Phoenix Tuesday.

Does anyone else avoid driving their Pcar when it gets this hot or when they have to use AC ? Since I bought by car I only take it out early in the morning and cool evenings (which have been rare this summer).

Looking forward to fall and even winter which both have perfect top down weather in Dallas.
I agree with the post that said the human element is likely the limiting factor, not the car.

I've been getting up a tad before dawn to go driving. If you get out of the city and away from the heat island effect, you can get 5 - 10 cooler. It was a blissful low - mid 70s up near Rosston this morning. It's 110 there now!

T

Quick Reply: I know that rain can ruin these cars but what about heat ?