Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, can't get engine and bellhousing apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 PM
SynchromeshWines
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, can't get engine and bellhousing apart

I'm sure I missing something here..
1986 Euro spec NA 944
I am removing engine out the top to do clutch, rod bearings and some other stuff. I originally tried to pull it with the bellhousing attached but realized i would have to drop the crossmember to disengage from th TT. So I buttoned it back to the TT then bolted the bellhousing and flywheel Allen bolts. I have about 3" between the bellhousing and block but can't quite seem to get clear of something to lift the engine without the bellhousing also lifting.

what am I missing here? Feels like it still has a shaft in the middle. The sump is against the oil pan.

thanks, stuck in a precarious spot here
Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

clutch fork?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:09 AM
SynchromeshWines
AutoX

Shouldn't unbolting the flywheel negate the need for undoing that?

I'm actually looking in between right now and it kind of looks like the disintegrated rubber center partially stayed behind. Might need to pry out the bits with a screw driver

Last edited by SynchromeshWines; 02-19-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 AM
SynchromeshWines
AutoX

Problem solved. The rubber center was so f'd that it allowed parts of the clutch to be in the back of the engine while the rubber center remained the the bellhousing. What a bitch but I managed to pry the remains of the clutch back into the bellhousing them hold it there and lift and everything came clear really easily .

aside from this and breaking both reference sensors and bracket (crap) coming out the top was easy and I did a large part of it solo
Old 02-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Careful of those sensors, they can pick up electrical noise from the starter and false the ignition system. This causes a kickback that can break the starter. Notching the BH makes this problem worse.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 PM
SynchromeshWines
AutoX

Yeah, I will not be notching the bellhousing. I have the updated bracket with shielding sleeve on the way with a couple of new sensors. When I switched plans from pulling the engine with the bellhousing to without, I forgot to pop off the bracket so broke it along with both sensors... $300 mistake
Old 02-23-2018, 02:42 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SynchromeshWines
Yeah, I will not be notching the bellhousing. I have the updated bracket with shielding sleeve on the way with a couple of new sensors. When I switched plans from pulling the engine with the bellhousing to without, I forgot to pop off the bracket so broke it along with both sensors... $300 mistake
Once you have the updated bracket with the shield you shouldn't have noise problems, that's why the shield is there on the new bracket. Mine's an S2 and had the shield stock. I notched the bell housing and haven't had any trouble.

Quick Reply: Help, can't get engine and bellhousing apart