Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline slack/lash - not clutch or mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:19 PM
pjs.oregan
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Driveline slack/lash - not clutch or mounts

Anyone know where else I should be looking? It was terrible when I bought the car, much better now I've changed the (old, ruined, rubber-centered) clutch, and not really improved by new motor mounts.

There is still enough lash to feel like a proper jerk if I'm not smooth coming onto the gas in 1st/2nd.

Cheers,

edit: 84 NA, if that makes a difference
Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Transaxle mount? Grab the transaxle and see if you can easily swing it side to side.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 PM
pjs.oregan
Rennlist Member

Hadn't thought of that... rock solid unfortunately, though
Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trans/diff has had some play since I bought the car. Like you, it was bad before I replaced the clutch, got much better after, but was still noticable. I also have had cheap axles fail a few times, but replacing them never removed any driveline slack. Unfortunately, if it's not your clutch, mounts, or axles (unlikely), there's not really anywhere else to look except the trans. I believe the diff pinion can be adjusted to compensate for wear, but I haven't looked into it.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

PJS: You really can't tell if they're bad until they're removed. I found large fractures in the rubber on mine once they were off the car (my 84 has two).
Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

how old are your rear shocks?
944 rear suspension is sort of bouncy when you let off/get on the gas quickly if shocks are worn out.

also i am of the belief that the long driveshaft sort of winds up along itself and releases if that makes sense.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

How’s your transmission fluid, when was it last changed and with what?

Drain, flush & fill with Redline MT-90 for a smooooth take off.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 PM
pjs.oregan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies all. I was hoping it wouldn't be the trans! That's pretty much the last part of the car I fear to open up.

I've had it off to do the clutch and don't remember there being anything wrong with the mounts, although I didn't inspect them in great detail. I'll look again when I do the torque tube bearings (shudder). The fluid was done about 2 years ago and I definitely had smoother shifting after that, although no change to the lash, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to repeat -- I'm in NZ and haven't seen Redline for sale anywhere unfortunately.

Rear shocks are Koni yellows of unknown age but seem in good condition & function so I'd be surprised if they were the culprit. It also feels like more of a whole-car jerk than the rear bouncing around, if that makes sense.

Edit: seems there are people selling Redline gear oil online so I'll get some of that and see if it does anything; maybe drop the transmission at the same time to get a proper look at the mounts too.

Is there some "intrinsic" lash in these cars from the driveline?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

you might be feeling a summation of worn components that comes with age.

are your torsion bars centered in the carriers at the spring plate? carrier and banana arm bushings intact?

are the hub and coupling splines in good shape?

cv joint mating surfaces and threads need to be acetone clean during final assembly to ensure enough clamping force.

the sound of a bad or worn ring and pinion can be loud
Old 02-22-2018, 12:14 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

If you watch the rear torque tube coupler you might be able to measure lash in the driveline, like with the car in 5th gear see how much rotation of a wheel it takes to move the coupler. Raise only one rear wheel if you have no LSD.
There should be some lash measurable in this fashion but a very small amount I suppose. I do not have a 944 trans handy to measure and compare. Maybe I can compare on my 968 trans, it should only be the R&P and gearset lash and should be quite minimal if measured in degrees at a rear wheel. I can't say I've felt driveline lash of note. I recall feeling a lot of windup from the rubber center clutch in my old S2 particularly if I forgot to release the parking brake but nothing like a loose clunk you'd get if a wheel was about to fall off.

...have you checked to see if a wheel is about to fall off? :-)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

CV joints?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:28 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm with Van, if you've replaced the clutch, the transmission mount is OK, the motor mounts are OK, there's no noise coming from the torque tube, that pretty much points to the R&P or the CV joints I'd think.

Have you taken one apart? I suggest checking the outer joints first. When I took mine apart at ~80K miles the outer joints were very badly worn but not growling yet, it was easy to see wear on the face of the ?Spider? part of the bearing, the one with the five ball bearings trapped in it. Deep grooves in the face.

After I put it back together with new CVs there was no play or lash in the driveline at all. I did have the gearbox partially re-built at the same time, I put in a shorter 5th and also a rebuilt ZF LSD, so it wasn't a pure CV only rebuild, but before opening the gearbox I'd check the CV joints.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:00 AM
pjs.oregan
Rennlist Member

Thanks again everyone. There is noise which I think is coming from the torque tube - high pitched whine at constant load, higher in pitch with increasing revs, and then a harsher sound when off the gas. I had assumed this was the TT bearings - does it sound like R&P? I hadn't thought of that. I think when I next get a good stretch of time to work on it I'll do those TT bearings and refresh the rear suspension & CVs while I have everything apart... and I suppose if it's still there then there won't be many more places to look apart from the transaxle.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
If you watch the rear torque tube coupler you might be able to measure lash in the driveline, like with the car in 5th gear see how much rotation of a wheel it takes to move the coupler. Raise only one rear wheel if you have no LSD.
There should be some lash measurable in this fashion but a very small amount I suppose. I do not have a 944 trans handy to measure and compare. Maybe I can compare on my 968 trans, it should only be the R&P and gearset lash and should be quite minimal if measured in degrees at a rear wheel. I can't say I've felt driveline lash of note. I recall feeling a lot of windup from the rubber center clutch in my old S2 particularly if I forgot to release the parking brake but nothing like a loose clunk you'd get if a wheel was about to fall off.

...have you checked to see if a wheel is about to fall off? :-)
How much of a slack/backlash at the wheels are acceptable. This is what I did. Put the car on stands and engage into 1 gear. Then turn the right wheel rotating back and forth. There is about 5/8" of slack on the circumference of the tire. I asked the Porsche tech and he noted that there should be some play but didn't specify how much. So is 5/8" of slack on the circumference too much ?

Quick Reply: Driveline slack/lash - not clutch or mounts