996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know who makes this wing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:13 AM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Does anyone know who makes this wing.

Check this black car with wing that still works with the OEM wing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...lub-today.html

Who makes this ?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:19 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Msg the guy and see if he can find any markings.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've looked and didn't see any markings at all so far. I plan to meet with the P.O. soon, and will be sure to ask if she knows anything about it or if there is anything in the service folder I'm picking up.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

I know this OEM wing is crazy expensive, but I always thought it looked perfect on the cabriolets.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/996REARW.html
Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I know this OEM wing is crazy expensive, but I always thought it looked perfect on the cabriolets.

In 2003 the Factory Option Carrera Wing was less than $4000.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I have a 1999 Cab with that wing on it. While it does look good, It does not force cool air into the intake or engine compartment as well as the standard dynamic spoiler. I have a 1999 Coupe that I compare it with since I have done some custom intakes and heat shields and compaired temps with various intakes, heat shields, wings, ect. But it does look good so it will stay..lol
Old 09-21-2017, 12:39 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I have a 1999 Cab with that wing on it. While it does look good, It does not force cool air into the intake or engine compartment as well as the standard dynamic spoiler. I have a 1999 Coupe that I compare it with since I have done some custom intakes and heat shields and compaired temps with various intakes, heat shields, wings, ect. But it does look good so it will stay..lol
It's not designed to force air into the engine.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
It's not designed to force air into the engine.
Well yea that's one of the things the dynamic spoiler does.

1 . reduces lift on the rear for high speed stability

2. reduces drag for higher speed

3. increases fuel efficiency

4. forces ambient air into engine compartment to promote cooling

5. forces air into engine for combustion
Old 09-21-2017, 01:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

4. forces ambient air into engine compartment to promote cooling

5. forces air into engine for combustion

I think it's because you used the word "force" which can be confused with super/turbo charging. If anything, some of the fancy Porsche wings do redirect air into the snorkel. (I've seen some that have side vents to capture air and push in the engine compartment) If you look at the belly of a Porsche's rear air vent, the snorkel port is the only way air is inputing; that is, for the throttle body. The other port is for the purge fan. Of course, I'm there are many who have removed these items to promote more air flow.

Personally, some of these non-tested, aftermarket spoilers can work against the normal flow of low pressure air and therefore, redirect air away from the vent, which could be counterproductive to performance. But I'm not sure any of the spoilers are going to promote better engine cooling. That's the job of the front radiators, heat diffusers, and purge fan.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 PM
IkoIko911
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know if my wing forces any air into the snorkel
Old 09-21-2017, 02:10 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Check this black car with wing that still works with the OEM wing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...lub-today.html

Who makes this ?
For some reason this is all I can think of when I see that spoiler:

Old 09-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

I think it's because you used the word "force" which can be confused with super/turbo charging. If anything, some of the fancy Porsche wings do redirect air into the snorkel. (I've seen some that have side vents to capture air and push in the engine compartment) If you look at the belly of a Porsche's rear air vent, the snorkel port is the only way air is inputing; that is, for the throttle body. The other port is for the purge fan. Of course, I'm there are many who have removed these items to promote more air flow.

Personally, some of these non-tested, aftermarket spoilers can work against the normal flow of low pressure air and therefore, redirect air away from the vent, which could be counterproductive to performance. But I'm not sure any of the spoilers are going to promote better engine cooling. That's the job of the front radiators, heat diffusers, and purge fan.
Trust me when I said "forces" air into the engine for combustion, I in no way meant Turbo/Supercharging, think of it more like Ram Air or Cowl Induction..

Porsche states and my tests confirm that the factory spoiler "up" does improve engine compartment cooling and air intake air cooling via ambient air pressure increase.

That particular fixed spoiler runs the intake temperature about 10 degrees higher than the factory spoiler in the "up" position, and takes a lot longer to cool off after a hot soak.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Porsche states and my tests confirm that the factory spoiler "up" does improve engine compartment cooling and air intake air cooling via ambient air pressure increase.
I apologize in advance for being a noodge, but improving cooling of the intake air by increasing the air pressure is incorrect. I don't know the aerodynamics of the situation, but in all cases(on planet earth) increasing the air pressure will increase the air temperature through adiabatic heating effect.

boyles law: PV=NRT where P is pressure and T is temperature, all other things being equal, to maintain the equation, as pressure rises if Volume, Molecular constant remain the same, then temperature will rise.

Also, 'via ambient' is logically inconsistent. Ambient is a relationship to something that is nearby. So, if you are comparing the inducted air to the engine bay, you would use ambient as a comparitor to the air which is not being inducted into the engine bay.

e.g. "The air inducted to the engine as a result of the wing is at a lower/higher temperature than the ambient air which is not inducted into the engine bay in a car without the wing."

again - sorry, but something else is at work there.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:15 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Doc, if I pour a bag of ice into my Porsche's snorkel, will the air going into the throttle body be cooler regardless of air pressure? A poor man's cold air intake?

Ok, scratch that... it will melt and that could mean excess water in my airbox which could lead to ... oh my... lead to... eeekk... HYDROLOCK!!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docmirror
I apologize in advance for being a noodge, but improving cooling of the intake air by increasing the air pressure is incorrect. I don't know the aerodynamics of the situation, but in all cases(on planet earth) increasing the air pressure will increase the air temperature through adiabatic heating effect.

boyles law: PV=NRT where P is pressure and T is temperature, all other things being equal, to maintain the equation, as pressure rises if Volume, Molecular constant remain the same, then temperature will rise.

Also, 'via ambient' is logically inconsistent. Ambient is a relationship to something that is nearby. So, if you are comparing the inducted air to the engine bay, you would use ambient as a comparitor to the air which is not being inducted into the engine bay.

e.g. "The air inducted to the engine as a result of the wing is at a lower/higher temperature than the ambient air which is not inducted into the engine bay in a car without the wing."

again - sorry, but something else is at work there.
While your theory's may be technically correct, the spoiler "up" does increased air pressure that does create increase air flow that does improve cooling. While something else could very well be at play here, the results are what they are.

There was an old saying that I have used many times in the old days of HotRodding cars and the quest for eventually setting a couple IHRA World Records by doing things that had never been before," If the results differ from the theory, believe the results and invent a new theory".

From the Porsche P-001

Also from Porsche P-001 There are more references of this function that spells these benefits out more clearly, if I can find them in my heap of technical info.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know who makes this wing.