Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I F'd up the area above my bumper- HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I F'd up the area above my bumper- HELP?

Bought a new grill today as an anniversary present for my wife... as I was removing it out of the cargo area it must have bumped the car (I really didn't think it was a hard drop or anything at all). So now I'm pissed. What is this material anyway? It just feels like plastic. Has anyone had a good experience with putting lipstick on this area? I'm not going to replace the whole back panel.

While I'm at it, what about this rubber weather strip? I'm pretty sure it was cut when I bought the car. Any suggestions?
Attached Images   
Old 10-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

No advice, but I have to make the "lipstick on a pig" joke since you said it. 😂
Old 10-04-2017, 09:25 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

The bumper is plastic, painted then clearcoated.

Get some compound or polish, Meguires Ultimate Compound is works well but if a scratch can be felt when dragging a fingernail over it, it can't be taken out. It's not just going to "buff right out."

Same with the weather strip. Nothing can be applied to it that won't break down the rubber it is made out of .

If it were me, I'd forget about it. It's going to happen again with something, sometime.

My truck has many battle wounds. I don't worry much about them.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
If it were me, I'd forget about it. It's going to happen again with something, sometime.
+958

You all would be appalled at the state of my P!g.

If the bumper is rough, I might file down the rough edges so it doesn't snag clothing. Otherwise I wouldn't even put touchup paint on it since the bumper isn't going to rust.

Same on the weather strip. It's not cut all the way through and not in a location that is likely to leak. You can confirm by hosing down the top of the closed tailgate moving side to side and then check for water inside in that area. That should simulate the vast majority of what it will see. Then you can aim the hose at that specific area and check again.

If you really do want to get the stuff fixed, if the bumper is gouged then technically it needs to be replaced. A good shop, however, can probably sand it down well enough that you won't notice once it's painted unless you look hard. Probably the difference between $500 and $2500.

Weather seals are pretty straight forward to DIY, but they can be finicky and annoying to get on just right (e.g. corners matching up and the ends meeting directly in the middle).
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

I would be trying some rubber glue on the weatherstripping. Nothing to lose, possible gain. Perhaps if you could find some soft rubber tubing the same diameter as the ID of the weatherstripping - putting a length into it so it bridges the gaps might help.

As far as the bumper.. for 958.1 cars there are stainless trim bits available that cover the top of the bumper - it would hide the worst of the damage. I seem to recall finding mine on Amazon - but it could have been alibaba..

Here are a few photos..

I believe there are ones available for the 958.2 - which has a slightly different bumper profile.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Horses have left the barn, but you should consider this product: https://www.canvasback.com/index.php...l?___SID=U&f=1 Just got one for my Macan and love it. Don't forget the bumper flap.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I'm going to have the top of my 957 bumper clear-bra'd once it comes back from the widebody conversion.

If anyone has a 957, I just listed my 09 Turbo S rear bumper with stainless package in the Marketplace. The stainless package gives you the bumper top protection piece, the lower plate that complements the front skid plate (front skid plate is also included), the trim around the large oval exhaust outlets, and because of those larger exhaust outlets, the ability to install much better looking exhaust tips. It also comes down lower for a more aggressive look.

Front skid plate

Old 10-04-2017, 05:38 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I bought a very inexpensive rubber strip that had two sided tape and covered that area. You can find them in eBay motors. I did that since I have a dog and was afraid his paws' nails would scratch the area when jumping in and out. When the gate closes you don't see the rubber area at all
Old 10-05-2017, 01:12 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear Bumpr Sill Guard

I like the look of the sill guard, so I did a little searching. I found it on Alibaba. Here is the link.
Rear Bumper Sill Guard - Alibaba
I found another website with a really sharp looking sill but they are out of stock. I sent a contact message asking if they will have the sill plate in stock any time soon.
Just Auto Trim
Here is a generic one from Amazon. They sure can't spell worth a damn.
Amazon sill protector Amazon sill protector
Here is another one from eBay.
eBay sill plate
Wait.....I found another sharp looking one that was located on Pinterest. I can't access the website because I am blocked by my company network.
Pinterest link to sill plate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I would be trying some rubber glue on the weatherstripping. Nothing to lose, possible gain. Perhaps if you could find some soft rubber tubing the same diameter as the ID of the weatherstripping - putting a length into it so it bridges the gaps might help.

As far as the bumper.. for 958.1 cars there are stainless trim bits available that cover the top of the bumper - it would hide the worst of the damage. I seem to recall finding mine on Amazon - but it could have been alibaba..

Here are a few photos..

I believe there are ones available for the 958.2 - which has a slightly different bumper profile.

Last edited by kkturbo; 10-05-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Just make sure it's the right one. The 958.1 has a bevel to the edge on the bumper. I believe the 958.2 has a sharper edge there. They aren't interchangeable.. but most listings do list what year they're applicable for.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Another ebay one for the 958.1...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/304-Stainles...19.m1438.l2649
Old 10-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

For the weatherstripping......product called "Shoe goo". This stuff is amazing!

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: I F'd up the area above my bumper- HELP?