Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Help with 968 Mods / Lower / clear side markers? Chip? / Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Help with 968 Mods / Lower / clear side markers? Chip? / Exhaust?

Hey everyone, i've finally found a well sorted out 968 and just closed the deal on it , now waiting for it to get shipped to me.

its a 1995 w/LSD it has turbo twists on it.

First order of business is i have to lower it, nothing drastic, just a bit, i like my cars lowered, even my dog is lowered, i have a dachshund,s- Is a 968 economically lowered easily with springs like newer 996/997? i def don't want to go coil over route- Any recommendations where to buy springs? Just H&R? How complicated is the job, i will have to take to mechanic to do.

2nd i'm wondering if its possible to find clear front side lights instead of the orange? i tried to look online but found nothing..would also like to remove those 2 black front rubber pieces by the lights

3rd Exhaust and air intake..i'd like a little of a nice growl, but nothing over the top at all, this isn't very important, but would be nice if there is an economical way to make exhaust sound better..on the 996 997 you are able to do a gundo hack on your mufflers and it sounds great..

4th and not so important is a chip- i read about a couple of companies that make them but seems they could throw CEL lights and looks like you have to mess with the cars computer brain to install the chip..good or bad idea?

Thanks everyone. i' so excited i can't contain myself! Pics to come once car arrives
Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

2: 993 Clear lenses fit, but are off a little bit. Google 993 Clear corners on 968.

To remove the bumperttes is pretty easy, there are 968 amber euro lenses, that fit right and cover the holes.

3: Look into the airbox hole mod, gives a louder sound and proven HP gain on the dyno.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...airboxmods.pdf

4: There a few well know chips out there:

Promax,Racer X, & RS Barn come to mind, and I am sure if folks cared anymore would have a big debate, I ran a promax for a while and had no problems I could attribute to it.

But before you do all these things, make sure your belt, rollers, pump, tensioner, varicam and rotor/cam cover are all in good shape first.

There are well known problems, like the IMS/RMS on the 996 that you need to make sure are 100%.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by touareg
2: 993 Clear lenses fit, but are off a little bit. Google 993 Clear corners on 968.

Thanks for the reply - trying to find those clear lenses now but no where to be found online, as for the bumprettes, i don't want amber lenses, i want it to look just like that gray first car pic you posted

- just talked to owner and he is telling me its got a K&N airfilter and some kind of tune but he doesn't know what it is as owner before him did it, so it may already be chipped, i guess no way to find out, as i saw those chips go inside the cpu

This is all i could find for 993 clear lens, i don't think this looks right
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tarek307; 10-02-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

You can remove the dme takes about 15-20 minutes and a little wriggling. Then you can check the chip.
I have rs barn chip and it works fine. Did the air box mod as well both a noticeable improvement.
Best exhaust I have heard is the Billy boat muffler but it was a you tube sound clip so that's all I have to go on.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Thanks for the reply - trying to find those clear lenses now but no where to be found online, as for the bumprettes, i don't want amber lenses, i want it to look just like that gray first car pic you posted

- just talked to owner and he is telling me its got a K&N airfilter and some kind of tune but he doesn't know what it is as owner before him did it, so it may already be chipped, i guess no way to find out, as i saw those chips go inside the cpu

This is all i could find for 993 clear lens, i don't think this looks right
You are correct they can not be found, to the best of my knowledge, there were never any clear 968 lenses OEM or Aftermarket, too small a market. 50,000 993s vs 12,000 968. And for a 911 that was small run, 996 had 175,000 made.

This is a closer shot of a 993 Clear lense on a 968, you can see how they don't fit perfect, but good enough for folks that choose them.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.) OEM club sport front springs sound like what you are looking for; 20mm lower but same spring rate as standard.

3.) I found a thread on here talking about removing the front baffle from the resonator. I performed this on my '93 and the exhaust sound is much more characterful but pleasant and not overpowering. This does remove a bit of restriction from the exhaust and I am on the fence about if the torque delivery has shifted a bit at lower RPM.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:23 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moparboy72
1.) OEM club sport front springs sound like what you are looking for; 20mm lower but same spring rate as standard.

3.) I found a thread on here talking about removing the front baffle from the resonator. I performed this on my '93 and the exhaust sound is much more characterful but pleasant and not overpowering. This does remove a bit of restriction from the exhaust and I am on the fence about if the torque delivery has shifted a bit at lower RPM.
I have the CS springs, and like the height, the rear I assume is just re-indexed, but the PO did all this and I am not an expert.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

You are correct they can not be found, to the best of my knowledge, there were never any clear 968 lenses OEM or Aftermarket, too small a market. 50,000 993s vs 12,000 968. And for a 911 that was small run, 996 had 175,000 made.

This is a closer shot of a 993 Clear lense on a 968, you can see how they don't fit perfect, but good enough for folks that choose them.

I don't understand how on this pic on the 993 ones, also the black bumper parts are eliminated? isnt the part i'd be buying just called 993 clear side marker? so just the 2nd side part of the light shown in the pic? or is it one big light that goes around front too? someone needs to hold my hand in this and just send me a link to what to order lol
Old 10-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the CS springs, and like the height, the rear I assume is just re-indexed, but the PO did all this and I am not an expert.
Correct, this is covered in the Workshop Manual. The spring brace is then set to 14 degrees.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Guys, if i order these 993 clear turn signal assemblies, this would eliminate the Amber and also cover the part where black bumperette would be?
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

From the info i'm gathering, the front is easily lowered with H&R springs but the rear is a big job that requires reindexing torsion bars geez..here we go. I've talked to 3 known porsche shops around here and none seem to want to do it, one said sure but to be done right expect to spend $2500 minimal

Last edited by Tarek307; 10-03-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:29 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I just installed a Billy Boat performance exhaust Sunday afternoon, ordered from their website. It was an easy install (for a change!) and sounds great. It has more of a bass tone and sounds deep and sport oriented at full song. It's a cat back, so an easy 4 bolt disconnect just south of the cat, and then a clamp that connects the second half containing the muffler and tailpipe finisher (welded on). Took me 2 hours, but I'm slow and careful.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X51
I just installed a Billy Boat performance exhaust Sunday afternoon, ordered from their website. It was an easy install (for a change!) and sounds great. It has more of a bass tone and sounds deep and sport oriented at full song. It's a cat back, so an easy 4 bolt disconnect just south of the cat, and then a clamp that connects the second half containing the muffler and tailpipe finisher (welded on). Took me 2 hours, but I'm slow and careful.
can you please make a clip maybe of revving, idling and a drive by and put on youtube? would be real nice to hear sound ..i know i'm asking alot lol
Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 AM
touareg
Drifting

can you please make a clip maybe of revving, idling and a drive by and put on youtube? would be real nice to hear sound ..i know i'm asking alot lol
I have a BB exhaust too, when I had the airbox mod, the highflow cat and that exhaust it was super loud on WOT. On the track it was glorious

Now I have something different, I put the stock cat back for tune I have and it is much quieter, but still a bit of a distinct sound, enough so people know I am coming.

You should be able to find what you are looking for on youtube.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 AM
touareg
Drifting

Guys, if i order these 993 clear turn signal assemblies, this would eliminate the Amber and also cover the part where black bumperette would be?
Those look like the right ones, but I nor anyone else wants to say yes they are and be wrong, and have you upset. I have never done it on my 968, my friends 993 I helped him with his, but that was years ago and they look the same to me.

80 bux is short change, go for it!

Quick Reply: Help with 968 Mods / Lower / clear side markers? Chip? / Exhaust?