991.1S bolt ons - specifically catted headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:36 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 991.1S bolt ons - specifically catted headers

all,

Absolutely loving my 911 so far 5 months in. My car is a manual with sport exhaust. I do not want to change out the mufflers as I love the pse. It's a weekend and good weather car for me, so I kind of want to play around with some fun mods if they are worthwhile.

im considering sport headers (fab speed, Kline or cargraphic or any other brands that are out there). I do not want a cel and do not want fitment issues. I had a catted fabspeed x pipe on my old e92 m3 that both threw a cel and fit like crap so I'm very wary of that brand but am not outright dismissing them.

i would like a little more power for fun, and a little more sound, but nothing crazy.

i am also considering the ipe plenum and Cobb tune but have heard very mixed reviews on both of those. Does the plenum do anything for induction noise? That would be a big bonus for me.

anyone have the catted header/Cobb tune/plenum combo on a 991.1s? any feedback on the combo?

how about experiences with different headers and sport cats?

i did perform a search but not a ton of info easily found on this. Thanks all!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kennypowers
all,

Absolutely loving my 911 so far 5 months in. My car is a manual with sport exhaust. I do not want to change out the mufflers as I love the pse. It's a weekend and good weather car for me, so I kind of want to play around with some fun mods if they are worthwhile.

im considering sport headers (fab speed, Kline or cargraphic or any other brands that are out there). I do not want a cel and do not want fitment issues. I had a catted fabspeed x pipe on my old e92 m3 that both threw a cel and fit like crap so I'm very wary of that brand but am not outright dismissing them.

i would like a little more power for fun, and a little more sound, but nothing crazy.

i am also considering the ipe plenum and Cobb tune but have heard very mixed reviews on both of those. Does the plenum do anything for induction noise? That would be a big bonus for me.

anyone have the catted header/Cobb tune/plenum combo on a 991.1s? any feedback on the combo?

how about experiences with different headers and sport cats?

i did perform a search but not a ton of info easily found on this. Thanks all!

I'm in the same boat....

Lots of naysayers with regards to the IPD plenum however the majority of the additional power gained from hardware in the X51 kit is accredited to the Porsche X51 plenum. With this data - it is hard to deny that it is effective. Likely it will not be a ginormous gain... but the plenum + BMC filters does add sound. I don't have this (yet) but have listened to cars before and after install.

Headers will also make the exhaust louder and relieve some back pressure for mild power gains since the Cats are the most restrictive aspect of the exhaust.

Either of these would of course be maximized with a tune and all together it's an estimated 50 peak hp increase on an S. Cobb is advertising ~7% with no hardware mods.

This setup isn't just about the power though.... when people talk about a well sorted car, this will sort out the sound, feel and response to really wake the car up quite a bit.

Again - I don't have all of these components due to being unemployed for a year but will have these soon. Likely an irresponsible expenditure of a sign on bonus
Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'm in the same boat....

Lots of naysayers with regards to the IPD plenum however the majority of the additional power gained from hardware in the X51 kit is accredited to the Porsche X51 plenum. With this data - it is hard to deny that it is effective. Likely it will not be a ginormous gain... but the plenum + BMC filters does add sound. I don't have this (yet) but have listened to cars before and after install.

Headers will also make the exhaust louder and relieve some back pressure for mild power gains since the Cats are the most restrictive aspect of the exhaust.

Either of these would of course be maximized with a tune and all together it's an estimated 50 peak hp increase on an S. Cobb is advertising ~7% with no hardware mods.

This setup isn't just about the power though.... when people talk about a well sorted car, this will sort out the sound, feel and response to really wake the car up quite a bit.

Again - I don't have all of these components due to being unemployed for a year but will have these soon. Likely an irresponsible expenditure of a sign on bonus
In the Powerkit, I don't doubt that a lot of the power is from that intake but it's important to remember that it is NOT just a 'plenum' like with IPD but also the 'intake runners' (and the assembly contains "6 plus 1 switchable valves that switch between power and torque optimized geometries"), among other things (intake cams, heck, even valve springs), so it seems more complex than the IPD plenum. I'm sure I am not doing it justice so I have attached the relevant portions regarding the 991 Powerkit from 'Porsche Engineering Magazine'. Best of luck - curious about the plenum myself so trying it out soon on my OTHER car (981), so not trying to 'knock' it...😀
Old 10-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Hey Kenny--I've put our Sport Headers on a number of 991 S cars; headers are a great way to access the power that is restricted by the factory cats. The comparison speaks for itself: check it out below! Our header design incorporates smooth mandrel-bent tubing with 200-cell high-flow HJS cats (stock cats are 600-800 cell). Proven power gains as well! I'll shoot over a PM so we can chat--sorry to hear about your M3 but I'd love to hear about that situation to see if I can make it better. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:22 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the same boat....

the sound is a big bonus, that sounds interesting. are you familar with any videos depicting the sound? i know its not ideal but might be a good start?

i agree, i feel like these minor bolt ons might add that little bit of sound and power to make it a little more fun. that said the car as is is so good

Originally Posted by Dom991.1

In the Powerkit, I don't doubt that a lot of the power is from that intake but it's important to remember that it is NOT just a 'plenum' like with IPD but also the 'intake runners' (and the assembly contains "6 plus 1 switchable valves that switch between power and torque optimized geometries"), among other things (intake cams, heck, even valve springs), so it seems more complex than the IPD plenum. I'm sure I am not doing it justice so I have attached the relevant portions regarding the 991 Powerkit from 'Porsche Engineering Magazine'. Best of luck - curious about the plenum myself so trying it out soon on my OTHER car (981), so not trying to 'knock' it...😀
my thoughts exactly and very valid points. still on the fence.

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Jason
Hey Kenny--I've put our Sport Headers on a number of 991 S cars; headers are a great way to access the power that is restricted by the factory cats. The comparison speaks for itself: check it out below! Our header design incorporates smooth mandrel-bent tubing with 200-cell high-flow HJS cats (stock cats are 600-800 cell). Proven power gains as well! I'll shoot over a PM so we can chat--sorry to hear about your M3 but I'd love to hear about that situation to see if I can make it better. Thanks!

no worries about the M3. was a long time ago and water under the bridge.

thanks for the dyno. surprised how unsmooth that power curve is, stock and modified. bizzare, as that doesnt translate when driving the car.

do you have any similar dynos on a 3.8L motor? with or without tune and plenum.

thanks!

still looking for feedback on other brands if anyone has tried them.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:11 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Here is one:

Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by kennypowers
i agree, i feel like these minor bolt ons might add that little bit of sound and power to make it a little more fun...
Indeed they will! Bolt-ons are a great way to harness the potential power of your block without breaking the bank, and they provide that next level of Porsche enjoyment!

I found another dyno chart sent to us from a customer--that being said, I wanted to note a few things regarding dynos. As the customer states, this is not a same day comparison. Dynos are ultimately a measuring tool: thats it. They take a reading and spit out a number--this number, and the process behind this reading is very dependent on any number of variable conditions--barometric pressure, temperature, etc. so it is always best to get a same day, similar time dyno reading to get the best idea of gains from a stock pull to a tuned/modified pull.

Here's what the customer had to say about our Sport Headers and the resulting driving experience:

"This is not a same-day comparison, but the difference is large. The headers led to a 14hp and 18ft/lb bump at peak, with the TQ peak coming in 350 rpm earlier, but the really remarkable thing is the difference in midrange - at 4,000rpm the difference is almost 50 ft/lb. This explains the car's turning into a city-street weapon!"

Thanks for the video R_Rated!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 AM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone install the fab speed sport headers on a 991.1 without PSE? I'm interested in the performance improvement but am not interested in a louder exhaust.

Thanks. D
Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What about reports of CEL coming on because of the O2 sensors being closer together?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
What about reports of CEL coming on because of the O2 sensors being closer together?
I had NO cats on for ~100 miles. No CEL - must get the 02 bungs to fool it.

This is likely the best deal on the market for one of the top quality manufacturers. Germany TUV approved.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9911002...hp-343-tq.html

Quick Reply: 991.1S bolt ons - specifically catted headers