Sponsored by:

Hard top questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:58 AM
treepeony
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top questions

I live in Massachusetts and am looking for a 996. I generally will drive it in the summer, and would prefer a cabriolet. But want to drive it in colder weather as well, which has led me to target getting the coupe with a sunroof, or the Targa.
The looks of the cabriolet with the soft top up, is not great. The coupe is very nice.
Then there is the hardtop option.
I can only find 1 photo with the cabriolet with the hard top. Are the lines nice as with the coupe? Any place I could see some photos? Is it as weather tight as the coupe?
Jonathan
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 335 Posts

I have a cab with a hardtop. I much prefer the look of the car with the soft top as I think it more closely resembles the coupe. Having the Hardtop on in the winter makes it seem like a different car. It is much quieter and seems more solid.

I think it looks a little odd with the hardtop on but to each his own.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by treepeony
I live in Massachusetts and am looking for a 996. I generally will drive it in the summer, and would prefer a cabriolet. But want to drive it in colder weather as well, which has led me to target getting the coupe with a sunroof, or the Targa.
The looks of the cabriolet with the soft top up, is not great. The coupe is very nice.
Then there is the hardtop option.
I can only find 1 photo with the cabriolet with the hard top. Are the lines nice as with the coupe? Any place I could see some photos? Is it as weather tight as the coupe?
Jonathan
IMO the lines are not as nice as those of the coupe. I don't know if it is as weather tight as a coupe, but I've driven mine in both heavy thunderstorms and single-digit cold. It is dry and warm.

If your car is an unusual color (like mine), odds are you're not going to find a matching top. Options are to a) get it painted, or b) find a black top. I went with b) ...
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2017, 02:27 PM
treepeony
AutoX

I think Bills car is the one I've seen photos of.
Thanks guys. How does it look from the rear? I really like the black with the seal silver. A ragtop color never matches the color of the car anyway.
Jonathan
Old 09-28-2017, 04:15 PM
mrjonger
Pro

I have a cab with hardtop. I also prefer the looks of the soft top over the hard top. It is nowhere near as clean as the lines of the coupe. The hardtop reduces a lot of road noise, but it has a fair amount of squeaking where it connect to the windshield. I'm told that can be mitigated with silicone oil, but my hardtop is almost never on so I don't really care. I only keep for resale reasons.

I don't know about others, but there is a fair amount of engine heat that makes it into the cabin. Between that and the heater, I don't think you'd need a hard top to keep warm - but others will know better.

I don't know what your summers are like. But I think people have the top down a lot less than what they are envisioning. Mid-day with a full sun is pretty unbearable unless temps are low 70s or below. My top is generally closed from 10A to 3P. YMMV

I suggest you drive both before making a decision.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:34 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

I had a hard top on mine for wayyyy too long. When I took it off I was shocked at how much better I thought the car looked.

They don't call it a "baseball cap" for nothing - so no, lines aren't as nice as a coupe.

Pretty squeaky and clunky when on, too.

That being said, it's a great thing to have for rain and snow.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one because it was so hot in SoCal when I lived there that I ran it in the summer.

Now that I live up north I probably won't be driving the car in the winter so will leave it off.

I don't think it looks bad and it definitely makes the car feel more solid.
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2017, 11:35 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Some angles look weird with the hard top. But it was nice in the winter. I could take my car through the automatic car wash.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:24 AM
Richard Jenkins
Track Day

I picked up a hard top while waiting to replace my soft top. The price quotes I got to repaint the top was ridiculous so I ended up wrapping it in carbon fiber.

I can feel the weight and the car feels more heavy. That being said, I think it looks better than the matching color top.

I live in Rochester NY and drive a Boxster as my winter ride. The snow can brutal on the plastic window if you leave it outside too much.

Last edited by Richard Jenkins; 09-29-2017 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

My opinion:The hard top on a cab looks like a bad toupee.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:30 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I kinda agree.

I tried to like it but I can't.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:55 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I agree. But it is nice in the cold winter weather when you're inside the car and can't see it. The large glass window is a plus too.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I like a black top on a light color car. It camouflages the rear joint line. With a light top and car it looks unfinished. I traded my Arctic silver top for a black one.
Attached Images  

Last edited by fpb111; 09-30-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 PM
treepeony
AutoX

Guys,
Thanks for all the great photos.
They really help. Either way, can't wait to get a 996!
Jonathan
Old 09-30-2017, 12:08 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Some angles look weird with the hard top. But it was nice in the winter. I could take my car through the automatic car wash.

I think the big difference in lines between the Cab and Coupe is the area behind the quarter glass. I've got a 99 Coupe and 99 Cab with the Carrera Aero kit with a 997.2 GT3 front bumper and have been looking for a silver hard top for it. IF I get one I will black out the area behind the quarter glass like the picture above, but of course much neater..lol ..Using Microsoft Paint is like using etch-a-sketch.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 09-30-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard top questions