Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 991.2 spasm ride height higher than 991.1 spasm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by pnutgt3
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to do this. I re measured and could not even fathom coming close to your results. So apparently my car does not have an option that I paid for. This is truly bizzare! Could it even be possible that they forgot to add spasm on the assembly line??
If both of our measurements are accurate, the difference is 3/8" which is very close to 10 mm which is the difference between PASM and SPASM.

I would definitely question the apparent discrepancy with your dealer if it is indeed on the build sheet and you paid for it.

Best of luck.

Al

Plug in your VIN on the site below to verify build.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche/911
Old 09-13-2017, 11:11 PM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Post your build sheet. If you ordered it and it's not on the car, I'd return the car.
Its certainly on my window sticker:

I mean I've heard of Friday builds but this is on another level. Well hopefully they can just swap out parts. I'd rather have my car in for a week or two than wait two or more months for a new build. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 AM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stephen k
I was one of those people who had shipping blocks left on the suspension of my then 2006 GTI but in these pictures I don't see the blocks. SPASM is lower on 991.2 than it is on 991.1 and your car just looks like a normal PASM.
I've never heard it being lower. Do you know how much lower its supposed to be?

Took some more shots after my brother got new ps4s installed....

I can't imagine a 991.2 spasm being any lower than that. If so, it's got to be a couple mils at most.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

OP, you got one really nicely build car. With all the performances options and no sunroof, exactly how I would done it too.

Regarding to the car's ride height, could it be because the car is so new and with the shipping block during the transit, suspension has not completely settle yet?

If this is the case, the car should drop some more after a few days with some spirited driving.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 AM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
If both of our measurements are accurate, the difference is 3/8" which is very close to 10 mm which is the difference between PASM and SPASM.

I would definitely question the apparent discrepancy with your dealer if it is indeed on the build sheet and you paid for it.

Best of luck.

Al

Plug in your VIN on the site below to verify build.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche/911
My thoughts exactly. By the way I assume yours is a 2017 model given you have 8000 miles on the tires. I know that some minor revisions were made with the 2018 models such as front bumper washer nozzles and rear view mirror. Although I highly doubt porsche would also include such a major revision as ride height. I don't know. I'm just trying to rule out all variables. I guess only thing left to do is call my dealership tomorrow and see what unfolds. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:55 AM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LnC993
OP, you got one really nicely build car. With all the performances options and no sunroof, exactly how I would done it too.

Regarding to the car's ride height, could it be because the car is so new and with the shipping block during the transit, suspension has not completely settle yet?

If this is the case, the car should drop some more after a few days with some spirited driving.
Thanks for the compliment. This was my first build and I really focused on getting it right. Just my luck that one of my top priority options was missing! Haha...but you do have a point. I've dabbled with aftermarket suspensions back in the day and I remember they needed time for the seats to settle. However I'm not sure if the same would apply to a factory suspension setup. Maybe I never paid attention but I don't recall my last spasm 911 settling over time. In fact the stance is what spoke to me the most when I first saw it. I hope you're right though. This is turning out to be a real headache. Thanks for your input
Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 AM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliment. This was my first build and I really focused on getting it right. Just my luck that one of my top priority options was missing! Haha...but you do have a point. I've dabbled with aftermarket suspensions back in the day and I remember they needed time for the seats to settle. However I'm not sure if the same would apply to a factory suspension setup. Maybe I never paid attention but I don't recall my last 911 settling over time. In fact the stance is what spoke to me the most when I first saw it. I hope you're right though. This is turning out to be a real headache. Thanks for your input
Old 09-14-2017, 02:07 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

This is pretty much my thoughts as well I always notice on a lot of my cars when they are new it took time for the suspension to settle or some might say lower.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:53 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, 2017 DD for me. I hope to drive this car for a long time.

Nice build, very similar to mine. I think the SPASM with the sunroof delete really accentuates the lines of the 991. I hope yours is just a settling issue as has been noted. The 7M is an absolute hoot to drive.

I hope you enjoy driving yours as much as I do.

Here is a side view of mine. The gap looks similar to that of your bros.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,018 Posts

A couple of points:

1. Shipping blocks are only placed in the front suspension - at least on Porsche sports cars. On my 981, mine were left in after European delivery (for a year). I found them during the first oil change. So this is not the cause of your discrepancy.

2. The monroney sticker is not always accurate. My 2018 911 actually has two monroney's that are not identical. The first shows the painted spray nozzles listed while the second does not. This was during the elimination of spray nozzles on the 2018s and the first monroney didn't catch up in time to account for the change.

3. Doesn't SPASM come with additional suspension bits like different anti-swaybars etc? Also, doesn't it come with a slightly different lip? I forget but I think there should be some other visual queues to verify this option.

4. Mistakes are not unheard of in options from the factory. Both of my ordered Porsches were missing options at the time of delivery that were listed on the Monroney. My 981 was missing the colored wheel crest which was easily fixed by the dealer. Second was mentioned above but a new monroney was issued to correct the mistake. Incidentally, both of my missing options were added after initial order. Did you add SPASM after your initial order? Just curious.

Keep us posted. This is interesting.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Strange. Hope it gets resolved.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:08 PM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Yes, 2017 DD for me. I hope to drive this car for a long time.

Nice build, very similar to mine. I think the SPASM with the sunroof delete really accentuates the lines of the 991. I hope yours is just a settling issue as has been noted. The 7M is an absolute hoot to drive.

I hope you enjoy driving yours as much as I do.

Here is a side view of mine. The gap looks similar to that of your bros.
Thanks and yes I do enjoy driving it very much. I still feel the 991.1 touches your senses a tad more but that's really splitting hairs. Anyhow, glad to see you're taking her to the track. I can't wait to take mine as well. Great action pic. Although I think it hunkers down some under load.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Isn't that a PASM front lip on the car? I thought the SPASM lip was more pronounced, similar to the .1. Compare the front lip on your car to a .2 SPASM car on the web. If it's not the same, you got a PASM car.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:48 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
A couple of points:

1. Shipping blocks are only placed in the front suspension - at least on Porsche sports cars. On my 981, mine were left in after European delivery (for a year). I found them during the first oil change. So this is not the cause of your discrepancy.
Now I'm curious. I did the european delivery and wondering if there are shipping blocks on mine (991.2 C2).

What exactly do these look like? Are they a rubber insulator placed between the spring and the body?

Edit:

I just took a look and the rears have the same white plastic spacer as first picture in this post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1025...l#post14473181
Old 09-14-2017, 02:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by quattroboy
Now I'm curious. I did the european delivery and wondering if there are shipping blocks on mine (991.2 C2).

What exactly do these look like? Are they a rubber insulator placed between the spring and the body?

Edit:

I just took a look and the rears have the same white plastic spacer as first picture in this post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1025...l#post14473181
My spacers were orange. There were two of them per wheel about 3/4" thick. Each spacer was two pieces (C shaped that connected to each other). They were placed around the shock absorber to provide additional clearance and prevent damage to the front spoiler during shipment. I am surprised that I did not detect that the spacers were still installed while driving the car 8k miles after I got it back to the states. They damaged my seals on the shock absorbers and destroyed the boot. All replaced by Porsche.

After my second European Delivery last month, I specifically asked my dealership to verify that the spacers were removed before I drove off. The response was that spacers should never be installed on European Delivery cars (which I found odd) but they checked anyway.

Here are some pics below. My understanding is that these spacers just limit the travel of the suspension (so it will bottom out earlier to protect the front spoiler. They don't change the ride height.

Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 spasm ride height higher than 991.1 spasm?