Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 991.2 spasm ride height higher than 991.1 spasm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM
fanporsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
Because you have the sport design front bumper you cannot use the front lip to compare, because it is the same whichever suspension you may have.
Is there any way to compare visually the coils from regular PASM vs sport PASM?
Just by looking at them what are the differences?
I would say that it is a serious mistake from factory if they got you the wrong one. It is a vital component of the car!

Best regards.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 PM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
A couple of points:

1. Shipping blocks are only placed in the front suspension - at least on Porsche sports cars. On my 981, mine were left in after European delivery (for a year). I found them during the first oil change. So this is not the cause of your discrepancy.

2. The monroney sticker is not always accurate. My 2018 911 actually has two monroney's that are not identical. The first shows the painted spray nozzles listed while the second does not. This was during the elimination of spray nozzles on the 2018s and the first monroney didn't catch up in time to account for the change.

3. Doesn't SPASM come with additional suspension bits like different anti-swaybars etc? Also, doesn't it come with a slightly different lip? I forget but I think there should be some other visual queues to verify this option.

4. Mistakes are not unheard of in options from the factory. Both of my ordered Porsches were missing options at the time of delivery that were listed on the Monroney. My 981 was missing the colored wheel crest which was easily fixed by the dealer. Second was mentioned above but a new monroney was issued to correct the mistake. Incidentally, both of my missing options were added after initial order. Did you add SPASM after your initial order? Just curious.

Keep us posted. This is interesting.
Thank you for your reply.

1. I didn't know this. I thought they were on all four sides.

2. I also verified my build sheet and anything else that defined the specs of my car. All checked out.

3. I'm not sure about the sway bar but as someone else mentioned I have the sport design front bumper. On the stock bumper a longer lip does help to identify spasm option.

4. No changes were made since the initial build order.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 PM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fanporsche
Hello.
Because you have the sport design front bumper you cannot use the front lip to compare, because it is the same whichever suspension you may have.
Is there any way to compare visually the coils from regular PASM vs sport PASM?
Just by looking at them what are the differences?
I would say that it is a serious mistake from factory if they got you the wrong one. It is a vital component of the car!

Best regards.
That's a good question. I'm not sure if the springs are different or it's just the struts. I can see some color markings on the springs but not sure how to decypher them. I believe they use progressive instead of static springs for 911 but I might be wrong.

The related post below says that the strut for spasm has a different part number....
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Can you not verify SPASM by the angle deployment of the rear spoiler? If I'm not mistaken, SPASM deploys the spoiler at a more acute angle.

Check this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...egrees-up.html
Old 10-30-2018, 11:18 PM
lawdawg97
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did your 991.2 PASM Sport suspension settle in over time to a ride height closer to the 991.1 PASM Sport?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:19 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by pnutgt3
Here's some quick shots...

Very nice car, and spec! There are definitely variances from car to car when it comes to springs, and I suspect that's the first thing Porsche would say if the spring color dots and dampers are SPASM parts. I've seen this across all makes, from MB to BMW to VW to Audi etc—cars with sport suspension that sit high (or are dialed), and cars with standard suspension that sit low (or are Safari spec). Same goes for Porsche too. So I suspect there are PASM cars that sit a bit low, and SPASM cars that sit a bit high. When you're talking about a difference of 0.4-inch—or even 0.8-inch—those variances can make a PASM car look great and a SPASM look bad, particularly against our expectations. This can be agonizing for sure, if you (like me) "see" stance.

Originally Posted by amelen
That looks like the exact issue I had with my VW GTI delivery almost 15 years ago. They delivered it with the shipping blocks and they looked almost identical to what's in your picture. I don't own a 911, so you'd probably want someone else to look at theirs and confirm.
Originally Posted by stephen k
I was one of those people who had shipping blocks left on the suspension of my then 2006 GTI but in these pictures I don't see the blocks. SPASM is lower on 991.2 than it is on 991.1 and your car just looks like a normal PASM.
^^ Too funny. I had a 2007 GTI that sat even higher than they were supposed to. Thought I unlucked out on bad springs, but figured it just couldn't be that bad and found the shipping blocks. Removed and it got better, but I still wanted to lower it.

Originally Posted by pnutgt3
I've never heard it being lower. Do you know how much lower its supposed to be?

Took some more shots after my brother got new ps4s installed....

I can't imagine a 991.2 spasm being any lower than that. If so, it's got to be a couple mils at most.
Maybe the car will settle a bit yet, but will say this: Both of these are very good looking 911s!

Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 spasm ride height higher than 991.1 spasm?