Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Get the Porsche Side Decal or not?
Yes
37.23%
No
45.99%
Neutral
16.79%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Side Decal Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:26 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I thought this was a democracy. The majority voted no.
I spent 20 years in the military defending democracy.....not practicing it.

Seriously though. I did appreciate the comments and feedback.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

So I applied the decal yesterday......

I spent a full hour getting the lettering lined up perfectly and level (15 iterations).....and looking back at it from a distance. I had a video camera on a tripod filming it because I was going to post it on youtube......

Then it was time to pull back the backing to expose the sticky side of the decal......

It worked great except the H stayed on the backing. I tried to get it back on the sticky side of the decal and it worked but with a crease in the H. I thought it may iron out with the squeegee after it was applied so I applied the decal. It was crooked and had bubbles in it which I could not fair out. It also had small specks of dirt on the sticky side of the decal because I was futzing with it trying to get the H perfect and it obviously picked up some dirt.

Anybody know of a good place in the Philly area that can put on a decal?

Actual footage of me after I crumpled up the decal.

Last edited by subshooter; 09-05-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Kinda warned you about that, it happens a lot if the decal started peeling off, isn't fresh, etc... If you have not removed it all in frustration, let me look in my box of spares if I don't have an H ? I ordered 3-4 sets of these over the years and keep the leftover parts for just this reason, I once needed a P, an O, maybe I have an H ;-)

Let me know...
Old 09-05-2017, 01:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Kinda warned you about that, it happens a lot if the decal started peeling off, isn't fresh, etc... If you have not removed it all in frustration, let me look in my box of spares if I don't have an H ? I ordered 3-4 sets of these over the years and keep the leftover parts for just this reason, I once needed a P, an O, maybe I have an H ;-)

Let me know...
Thanks. But the full decal is off and wadded up into a little ball after I threw my temper tantrum.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Thanks. But the full decal is off and wadded up into a little ball after I threw my temper tantrum.
ha ha ha - it's funny because I did the same thing more than once... It's not you, it's the stupid decal... Or your soapy water is too soapy and you need to wait longer so it sticks more on the body side than on the backing... Historically I bought 2x as many decals as I ever needed just for that reason, and settled on Bob Tilton's fresh batch for best chance of success (the extras are useful as spare letters are you found out)... Still, cheap....

I once had a similar temper tantrum with a pertronix on a 356 that should have worked and improved everything from my idle to middle east peace, but never allowed to car to run. Tossed it violently in a corner of the garage and never found it again (found out later they had a defective batch)... We do this for fun, right ? ;-)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

personally, i am a big fan of the side stripes as i really like the retro cars and singers.

on white cars i prefer light grey/silver stripes and a black PORSCHE logo which i have on my targa. i am trading the targa for a miami blue C2S cab and will probably do the same stripe color combo on it in the next couple weeks.

on my 993 i have light silver side stripes. on my CWM GT4 i did have royal blue side stripes and 911R type hood stripes, but i recently removed them, which is the nicest part of these mods.
Attached Images   
Old 09-12-2017, 04:12 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrett
personally, i am a big fan of the side stripes as i really like the retro cars and singers.

on white cars i prefer light grey/silver stripes and a black PORSCHE logo which i have on my targa. i am trading the targa for a miami blue C2S cab and will probably do the same stripe color combo on it in the next couple weeks.

on my 993 i have light silver side stripes. on my CWM GT4 i did have royal blue side stripes and 911R type hood stripes, but i recently removed them, which is the nicest part of these mods.
The white Targa looks fantastic
Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
The white Targa looks fantastic
thanks! i think its one of the best looking 911's i've ever seen. i just never fell in love with the actual targa function. also, my wife misses the ease of the cabriolet top. the wind buffeting with the targa is significantly worse as well which makes taking work calls more difficult when i am on the road.

i am going to take off the sport classic wheels and put them up for sale in the next week or two if anyone is interested.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:10 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbrett

I like the silver stripes for your Targa because it compliments the silver wheels. With my black wheels, I am thinking the black stripes would look better.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I like it... it was on older models (proof below) before the term ricer was even invented, and I always liked it on a white car as a way to break the whiteness... PErsonally it's the blakc wheels that I dislike, but hey, our cars, our rules... If I was not so cheap (and unsure of fitment) I'd also put in fuchs or fuchs-like wheels on it to tie it better to the grandma on the right, visually...

PS: it's like the third time I post this pic this week, I apologize!!!! But hey it's relevant....
ironically , the whole "ricer " graphics culture started in the early/mid70s when young Japanese baby boomers started to hot rod older Japanese 50 hp Toyota and Datsun/Nissan econoboxes a la SoCal modders from the late 40s AND then applied the ginormous " because LeMans racecar " graphics seen OEM on certain street Porsche models such as the 72/73 2.7 RS !

So "sticker" away ( reversibly ) ...it that's ones desire .. the street 911 is the " Ur-sports ricer " and the late 60s 'Merican iron with their factory applied wings , stripes , decals pre date even that

Last edited by MKW; 09-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MaxPoodling (07-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Side Decal Opinion