Ceramic Pro Coating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:19 PM
ZZUTI1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Pro Coating?

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my first 911, an '09 C2S Cab. Black / Black.

Has anyone had the Ceramic Pro treatment performed on their car? If so, what were the results? What was your thoughts on the process? We're you happy / was it worth the money? Any watchouts?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 PM
997_4me
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my new to me Carrera in April. First thing I did was paint correction and Ceramic Pro. I've had it on my Audi S5 for 3 year now and love it. color absolutely pops. Stays cleaner looking much longer. My buddy installs it so I get a great price but I would say it's worth the price. I wash my car weekly and use a blow drier/microfiber towel to prevent new scratches.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 PM
ZZUTI1
Track Day

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

There's a similar product you can apply yourself from Optimum called Opti-Seal that is supposed to do the same type of paint sealing and gets unbelievable reviews.

Amazon Amazon

I just finished detailing my 914 for an upcoming event and as the final step in the process, used this - it's so easy to apply, mist, wipe, buff and so far, the results are spectacular.

There's also a version that costs twice as much for half the amount that is supposed to last longer, called Gloss-Coat Paint Coating

Amazon Amazon

but I don't have any first-hand experience with this one.

The process I used on the 914 was clay bar, then Turtle Wax's Jet Black Paint kit with includes black tinted paint cleaner and polish, black spray detailer, and black carnuba wax and then I did the Opti-Seal as the final treatment. I've tried lots of different products and am surprised the Turtle Wax Jet Black kit works as well as it does, but it's the best thing I've found for black cars.

Here's the 914 once finished.

Here's my 928 Spyder after the same Turtle Wax treatment, but without the Opti-Seal (hadn't discovered it yet)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the Optimum Gloss Coat Ceramic coating. I had to correct the paint 1st with a 2 stage polish. This is where most of the costs and labor goes into these ceramic clear coat jobs - the paint correction steps.

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/product...at-new-formula

I then use Opti Seal as my maintenance item. Use it while drying the car.

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/product...-opti-seal-8oz

For 15 years old - she pops!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:27 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Have it and absolutely love it!
Old 08-24-2017, 01:48 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

does this coating work to deflect water spotting and bird droppings? Personally I am not a huge fan of the look of these, for me they seem like they distort the light reflection (rainbow effect), but am curious about the water spotting.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
There's a similar product you can apply yourself from Optimum called Opti-Seal that is supposed to do the same type of paint sealing and gets unbelievable reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just finished detailing my 914 for an upcoming event and as the final step in the process, used this - it's so easy to apply, mist, wipe, buff and so far, the results are spectacular.

There's also a version that costs twice as much for half the amount that is supposed to last longer, called Gloss-Coat Paint Coating

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ASZ6E6TEM35VB

but I don't have any first-hand experience with this one.

The process I used on the 914 was clay bar, then Turtle Wax's Jet Black Paint kit with includes black tinted paint cleaner and polish, black spray detailer, and black carnuba wax and then I did the Opti-Seal as the final treatment. I've tried lots of different products and am surprised the Turtle Wax Jet Black kit works as well as it does, but it's the best thing I've found for black cars.
Wait, you put carnuba wax on and then the sealer? I was always told it's sealer first and then carnuba on top which makes sense because the sealer is designed to bond to the clear coat.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
Wait, you put carnuba wax on and then the sealer? I was always told it's sealer first and then carnuba on top which makes sense because the sealer is designed to bond to the clear coat.
Yes, I did the full Turtle Wax kit in order, starting with a clay bar, then finished with the Opti-Clear. Since the directions don't say anything about using wax remover prior to applying it, figured it would be fine going on after the black carnuba, and seems to be.

Regarding water spots, this stuff just makes water sheet right off. It was a friend of mine that owns a Supra boat dealership that turned me on to this stuff. He puts it on his demo boats when they arrive from the factory and it makes them really easy to clean back up before putting them back into the showroom. Since these boats arrive with a waxed finish from the factory, figured I could put it over my car wax too. Doing it in that sequence might also help it to wipe off really easily without any streaks.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 PM
ZZUTI1
Track Day

Thanks for all the responses... some great looking cars out there!!! Nice pics!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:15 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
does this coating work to deflect water spotting and bird droppings? Personally I am not a huge fan of the look of these, for me they seem like they distort the light reflection (rainbow effect), but am curious about the water spotting.
Washing the car is now a breeze, simple soap and water. Water beads off the body, takes me under 15 minutes to wipe the car dry to a showroom-style spotless sheen. Also, NO WAXING!!!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro Coating?