Sponsored by:

Thoughts on rear badging with aluminum window trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thoughts on rear badging with aluminum window trim

I am at a point of indecision. My car has the polished aluminum trim which I like enough to not pay the dealer quote of $3700 to replace with the black trim. I even like it enough to not try and plasti dip it. However, I do not like the chrome badging on the rear since it looks really washed out. The shear quantity of letters adds to this awkward washed out look. I'd like to swap it out with black (either just "Porsche" or "Carrera 4S" or "911 4S") but am concerned that it wouldn't go well with the window trim. I don't want to do a total delete since I think it looks a little too bare. Any thoughts? What about the Porsche crest?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:40 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Yours is a purely subjective question. So, I'll give you a purely subjective answer. Is there anyone who does not know that that is a Porsche Carrera 4S? If they don't, do you care? The shape of a Porsche 911 is unmistakable. The light strip and wide body designate the 4S model. Do you really need a billboard on the back of your car?

I might be biased here. On both my 1997 and 2006 4s's, I removed all of the lettering replacing it with only a "4S" with the "S" painted red. I was stopped many times early on by guys asking me how I did that. I ordered my 2018 GTS without the model designation and will likely take off the Porsche designation in favor of just a "GTS" with the "S" in red. I think the rear end looks just fine, naked. You probably already know the lettering is held on by double-sided tape and easily comes off with a heat gun and some WD-40 or Goo Gone or similar product.

I'm sure reasonable minds and those with good taste will disagree.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 AM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice garage. I like the chrome trim around the window and badging as is. If you think the badging on the back is too much, maybe remove the bottom and keep "PORSCHE" only? I would also suggest removing the park place plate frame to make the rear look cleaner.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:43 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am a huge fan of model designation delete so I would never have the model "Carrera 4s" on my car (even if it were a GT3 or GT2RS). I would shave all the badges off the back and save them for the next owner. Alternatively, I would shave them all and reaffix PORSCHE down a bit as would have happened with model designation delete. I do like the anodized aluminium window trim, although I would not spec it, but think it looks good with that color.

To be honest, I think someone may have added 911 Carrera 4s as it looks good so maybe just shave those words. Do you have your build sheet?
Old 08-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by shake1
Nice garage. I like the chrome trim around the window and badging as is. If you think the badging on the back is too much, maybe remove the bottom and keep "PORSCHE" only? I would also suggest removing the park place plate frame to make the rear look cleaner.
Thanks. The garage is still a work in progress but it's made a lot of progress. I still have the dealer tags on, once I get the plates I'll get rid of the frame. TX does custom plates with a lot of designs so I was thinking of doing a blue plate to match the car and make the plates look more discrete.

Originally Posted by evilfij
I am a huge fan of model designation delete so I would never have the model "Carrera 4s" on my car (even if it were a GT3 or GT2RS). I would shave all the badges off the back and save them for the next owner. Alternatively, I would shave them all and reaffix PORSCHE down a bit as would have happened with model designation delete. I do like the anodized aluminium window trim, although I would not spec it, but think it looks good with that color.

To be honest, I think someone may have added 911 Carrera 4s as it looks good so maybe just shave those words. Do you have your build sheet?
Ah I was thinking the opposite. I figured that everybody already knows it's a Porsche so no reason to display it. I thought about deleting "Porsche" and doing just "carrera 4s" in the chrome and the s in red. Here's the build sheet.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So with 991.1, you had to pay for black trim. While in 991.2, you have to pay for chrome trim. Wonder why thing turned 180 degrees.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by Greenfall
So with 991.1, you had to pay for black trim. While in 991.2, you have to pay for chrome trim. Wonder why thing turned 180 degrees.
How did you arrive at that? I was told the aluminum trim was a paid option on 991.1 as well as .2
Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I wouldn't do it. Since your car doesn't have any black trim I think black lettering would look out of place and awkward. My two cents (from a GTS owner).
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by shake1
Nice garage. If you think the badging on the back is too much, maybe remove the bottom and keep "PORSCHE" only? I would also suggest removing the park place plate frame to make the rear look cleaner.
Agree with this. I'd also add, get the painted rear reflectors in SB.

Only problem is, when you remove the '911 carrera 4s' billboard, the 'porsche' is slightly too high on the bumper cover. So, you may need to re-position the 'porsche'. Try it, and see if you like it, then decide if the letters nned to be moved down slightly.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by Sharm
I wouldn't do it. Since your car doesn't have any black trim I think black lettering would look out of place and awkward. My two cents (from a GTS owner).
Yes, I think I am going to have to embrace the chrome. Now I think instead to trying for the sporty look, I am going to the classic retro look. Maybe it will all come together by getting the 50th wheels....

Originally Posted by LexVan
Agree with this. I'd also add, get the painted rear reflectors in SB.

Only problem is, when you remove the '911 carrera 4s' billboard, the 'porsche' is slightly too high on the bumper cover. So, you may need to re-position the 'porsche'. Try it, and see if you like it, then decide if the letters nned to be moved down slightly.
I wonder the reason for the model delete instead of the Porsche delete. Since every body knows its a Porsche, wouldn't that redundancy be the item that gets deleted? Most of the 911s in the past have only the model designation and without Porsche plastered on the back. Is there a reason you prefer the brand label over the model label?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by qtong
I wonder the reason for the model delete instead of the Porsche delete. Since every body knows its a Porsche, wouldn't that redundancy be the item that gets deleted? Most of the 911s in the past have only the model designation and without Porsche plastered on the back. Is there a reason you prefer the brand label over the model label?
This all seemed to change with the 991 series. Porsche is hell bent on branding and getting eyes on the words "PORSCHE" and "911" and "Carrera".

For me, I chose the "PORSCHE" over the model, as the 'lesser of 2 evils' since the **** looks bare/strange without something on the newer 991 porportions. On prior Porsches, I just ran naked.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

How did you arrive at that? I was told the aluminum trim was a paid option on 991.1 as well as .2
"My car has the polished aluminum trim which I like enough to not pay the dealer quote of $3700 to replace with the black trim"

Did I misunderstand anything?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by Greenfall
"My car has the polished aluminum trim which I like enough to not pay the dealer quote of $3700 to replace with the black trim"

Did I misunderstand anything?
Oh, I wasn't clear. I asked the dealer for the cost to remove the aluminum trim and replace with the black trim. They returned with a cost of $3,700. For that price, I would rather sell my wheels (which have brand new tires on them) and pick up some of the 50th wheels and go retro with the chrome/aluminum bits. The individual that ordered the car paid the $500 to get this trim, I was told he was an older gentleman.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Greenfall
Intermediate

Oh, I wasn't clear. I asked the dealer for the cost to remove the aluminum trim and replace with the black trim. They returned with a cost of $3,700. For that price, I would rather sell my wheels (which have brand new tires on them) and pick up some of the 50th wheels and go retro with the chrome/aluminum bits. The individual that ordered the car paid the $500 to get this trim, I was told he was an older gentleman.
Oh I see. I thought what you mean was porsche asked for 3700 for ordering the car with black trim....
BTW, if you dont mind ebay quality, you can do it with some black tape.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not change a thing. Keeping it original is the best since it already looks awesome!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on rear badging with aluminum window trim