Sponsored by:

Thoughts on rear badging with aluminum window trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfall
Oh I see. I thought what you mean was porsche asked for 3700 for ordering the car with black trim....
BTW, if you dont mind ebay quality, you can do it with some black tape.
I thought about doing plastidip but knowing my personality with cars, I would go insane looking at it if there were any imperfections. The other option would be to paint it black but since it is aluminum, paint doesn't do well on it. I am just going to do a Microsoft, it's not a fault, it's a "feature"!
Old 08-17-2017, 12:10 PM
bossboy302
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qtong
Oh, I wasn't clear. I asked the dealer for the cost to remove the aluminum trim and replace with the black trim. They returned with a cost of $3,700.
The fact that you even asked how much it would cost to switch to black trim tells me you do not really like the chrome trim.

Your call. As to the letters, I replaced mine with a set that I painted in Satin Platinum to match my wheels.

You could paint yours grey to simulate the color on your wheels.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:42 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qtong
I am at a point of indecision. My car has the polished aluminum trim which I like enough to not pay the dealer quote of $3700 to replace with the black trim. I even like it enough to not try and plasti dip it. However, I do not like the chrome badging on the rear since it looks really washed out. The shear quantity of letters adds to this awkward washed out look. I'd like to swap it out with black (either just "Porsche" or "Carrera 4S" or "911 4S") but am concerned that it wouldn't go well with the window trim. I don't want to do a total delete since I think it looks a little too bare. Any thoughts? What about the Porsche crest?

If that was my car, I wouldn't bother with the trim. The only thing I'd realistically do to clean up the looks is debadge, lose the license plate frame, and then rebadge just "PORSCHE" in the lower position. It is definitely lower on the car from the factory when ordered that way.

The car looks great, and the color is really special.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I love the color. If I were you, I'd look into having a good indy change your trim out to black for less and leave the "Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 991 The New Carrera 4S" or whatever paragraph on the back of the car how it is. I thought it was dumb at first but it's grown on me.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on rear badging with aluminum window trim