Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Try to sell my car...dealer frustration. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Try to sell my car...dealer frustration. Is this normal?

Approached my two local Porsche dealers by phone call to sell my low mileage 2017 C2S. Car is in good shape and fully covered with PPF by Xpel.

The first one, who I have purchased a car from before, basically ignored me for 3 business days then after confronting my SA in a nice but firm way he then told me "we are not interested" and refused to give me any reason why. SA Kept asking if something is wrong with the car...there is nothing wrong with it.

Second one did give me a low ball price so I am trying to negotiate up a bit and keep getting "we have to contact our buyer"...again over multiple business days.

If I wanted to buy something I would have already had three high prices and multiple phone calls.

What gives..? Am I breaking some code because I want to move on and NOT buy something from them?

I thought for sure a dealer would want this car. It is in great condition. I did not want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell to the general public....so far dealing with a dealer is not much better.

Rant over I guess...just frustrated. I don't have time to drive the car to every dealership in the area begging for them to buy it.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:31 PM
cvmurphy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you located? what color etc is the car?
Old 07-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Driven991
Racer

Tidewater VA. GT silver.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably asking too much. That or it's an odd spec.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:39 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I guess I can see their point. They already have nice cars on their lot so why would they want to pay for yet another and have no chance at a new sale to you. I can also see why they would have to low-ball you because they need to resell it. Regular Carreras are not rare so there is no pent up demand which would guarantee a quick, profitable sale of yours if they bought it.

Good luck, though. What other car, if any, are you buying?
Old 07-31-2017, 12:40 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Buying your used car for cash is not in those pcar dealers business plans. Simple way to end your frustration ... go to Carmax, get their 7-day quote. Pay for a membership to sell it here and list it for a couple K more with good pics. Carmax gave me 2K cash more than my local dealer would give me trade on my last deal, and it was the third new pcar purchased from the same dealer.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Try CarMax perhaps???
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Why would a dealer want your car unless they can get it at a favorable wholesale price and why would you even think of selling to a dealer unless you were trading in? You can always get more selling it yourself.

I have a very nice C2S but I wouldn't think of offering it to my dealer if I were selling it outright. They'd laugh at me. Dealers have to make a margin in order to justify the investment in floorplan. They're not in the business of just buying used inventory, unless it is at a very attractive price and/or a highly desirable car (i.e., GT car).
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Driven991
Racer

Thanks for the replies...just venting a bit.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Driven991
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Why would a dealer want your car unless they can get it at a favorable wholesale price and why would you even think of selling to a dealer unless you were trading in? You can always get more selling it yourself.

I have a very nice C2S but I wouldn't think of offering it to my dealer if I were selling it outright. They'd laugh at me. Dealers have to make a margin in order to justify the investment in floorplan. They're not in the business of just buying used inventory, unless it is at a very attractive price and/or a highly desirable car (i.e., GT car).
Having sold high end expensive items to the general public in the past, I thought selling to a dealer would be less hassle but hey I've been wrong plenty of times before.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Try CarMax perhaps???
Then he'll really know what a 'low ball offer' is.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Driven991
Having sold high end expensive items to the general public in the past, I thought selling to a dealer would be less hassle but hey I've been wrong plenty of times before.
Nope. That's not their business model. The only way I could see them taking it off your hands is at a very low wholesale price, and that's assuming they think it's desirable enough to sell rather quickly.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 386 Posts

If you don't want to sell it yourself, there are several good businesses out there who will sell it for you on consignment and take anywhere from two - six percent as a fee. Location usually doesn't matter.

Try reaching out to http://www.meritpartners.com (no affiliation and no experience with them), amongst others.

If I was trying to sell a car, unless it was something extraordinarily special, a Porsche dealer would be one of the last calls on my list. If they're interested, expect to sell it for a generous bath to what you paid.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,012 Posts

They can't sell what is on their lots right now so why would they want your car? Try cars.com or autotrader.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Driven991
Racer

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
If you don't want to sell it yourself, there are several good businesses out there who will sell it for you on consignment and take anywhere from two - six percent as a fee. Location usually doesn't matter.

Try reaching out to http://www.meritpartners.com (no affiliation and no experience with them), amongst others.

If I was trying to sell a car, unless it was something extraordinarily special, a Porsche dealer would be one of the last calls on my list. If they're interested, expect to sell it for a generous bath to what you paid.
Appreciate the link. I bought the car as a CPO so I am not taking a big hit either way.

Quick Reply: Try to sell my car...dealer frustration. Is this normal?