Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing leather wrapped inner door sill - How?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Removing leather wrapped inner door sill - How?

Hey guys, I'm looking for instructions or tips on how to remove my leather covered inner door sills on my recently acquired 997. It has Natural Brown leather sills from the factory, but the previous owners were not that careful entering or exiting the car and the drivers side is in rough shape as you can see (although the flash makes it look worse than it is).

I'd like to bring the sill to a leather repair shop and see if they can repair it or at the least make it look better than it is currently. I found the DIY for removing the standard plastic pieces, but my leather parts don't seem to have access to the plastic plug or the hex head cap screw.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...uff-plate.html

Anyone have experience with this ??

My sills pictured below. As you can see I don't have access to #1 or #2 in the parts diagram above ... Running my fingers along the surface I can feel the sink mark where the hole would be in the base plastic part.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 AM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is the screws were simply never installed. Try prying them "up". There are four or five clips that engage with the metal sill. It's easiest if you pry with something that won't marr the pieces. It takes a bit of force to disengage them.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 AM
Rampage
Racer

Originally Posted by ervin881
My guess is the screws were simply never installed. Try prying them "up". There are four or five clips that engage with the metal sill. It's easiest if you pry with something that won't marr the pieces. It takes a bit of force to disengage them.
Thanks, I was thinking the same but just nervous to actually do it. I'll give it a shot tonight.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I doubt if it has screws, just pull it up.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

There are 2 screws accessed from the seat side with plastic caps covering the holes. You'll need a low profile 90 degree bit ratchet or just a screwdriver bit with a 1/4" wrench. The two screws clamp against a flat plastic area molded into the sill piece itself to hold it down tight, once installed. Once the 2 screws have been loosened (not removed) you'll be about to use a trim tool to pry it up and remove it. Not loosening the screws first could damage the tabs on the sill on the underside where they clamp.

They're actually shown in the parts diagram you posted.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Rampage
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
There are 2 screws accessed from the seat side with plastic caps covering the holes. You'll need a low profile 90 degree bit ratchet or just a screwdriver bit with a 1/4" wrench. The two screws clamp against a flat plastic area molded into the sill piece itself to hold it down tight, once installed. Once the 2 screws have been loosened (not removed) you'll be about to use a trim tool to pry it up and remove it. Not loosening the screws first could damage the tabs on the sill on the underside where they clamp.

They're actually shown in the parts diagram you posted.
That is true for the standard plastic piece, but my piece is leather covered.

In the photos I posted of my actual part you can see there are no holes, and no flat plastic cover - and the reason for my hesitation.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rampage
That is true for the standard plastic piece, but my piece is leather covered.

In the photos I posted of my actual part you can see there are no holes, and no flat plastic cover - and the reason for my hesitation.
Missed those pics the first time around - guess you don't have the screws...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Rampage
Racer

Conclusion: Just pull up!

Cap screws are still there, just not tight. Here's a pic of the backside. You can see that the hole is there in the base plastic piece.

Now to see if I can get it repaired ...

Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I was sad because my leather was scuffed...

...until I met someone whose inner sill was not even covered in leather

sorry, I'm just a bit jealous.

Larry in Georgia
Old 07-26-2017, 09:44 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Classic9 Leather in Michigan. If you can't find local, Classic 9 has done many of these.

Also Exclusive Option.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 PM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Inner Door Sill Replacement

Hello Rampage,
While some shops will be able to fix your problem, there is much damage to the leather itself. Our inner door sills have factory matching leather and stitching to compliment the rest of your vehicle so you can rest assure it will be a match with no issues.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure if you have any other materials in your car, but a harder, more durable material on the inner sill will look better longer. I have a lot of CF in my car and both my inner and outer sills are CF. I keep them waxed and there's not a scratch on them, even though I'm sure I've accidentally run a shoe across them a time or two. If you don't have anything else that's a good complement, then leather looks really nice, you and anyone you drive in your car just have to be really careful with it.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:27 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

you can put clear bra on those and you may never get a scratch. When i go on trips I put it all around the opening , take it off when im home. its good for rain and mud and i put it on the carpet too.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Rampage
Racer

Thanks guys!

I'm going to look into my options for keeping it leather, either repair or replace. I do have a few painted surfaces (setbacks and centre console), but I want to try and keep the leather theme going since the car also has the steering wheel and fuse box cover in leather already.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:19 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

you can repair leather with a filler, then repaint. It looks ok but you can always see it. The part is so low and out of sight you may not notice it unless you see it in the bright light

Quick Reply: Removing leather wrapped inner door sill - How?