Sponsored by:

Help me solve this tech placement issue ... Dashcam, EZ Pass, Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 889 Posts
Default Help me solve this tech placement issue ... Dashcam, EZ Pass, Radar Detector

2009 C2S 117K miles MT

I posted a thread on my Garmin 45 dashcam install and note that the tech array on my windshield is a mess. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tructions.html

Three pieces of tech.... where to put them to get full function and minimize what I see from my seat?

1 - EZ Pass - mounted to glass behind mirror - I cannot see it from my seat, nice.
2 - Garmin 45 dashcam - very small unit but now in full view
3 - Valentine One radar detector - not much to to with this brick

Valentine must be mounted high to do its job, same with Garmin 45. EZ Pass location is flexible.

Currently, the EZ Pass unit is in the way of the Garmin's field of view .... it appears in the recorded vids in the lower left corner (see my link and video above).

See pic below... not a good shot given the lousy Android phone, but you get the idea.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 07-04-2017, 02:07 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have my V1 hanging from my mirror with a BlendMount. https://blendmount.com/

My BlackVue is in the same place as your Garmin. Not sure you can do much better.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs

My BlackVue is in the same place as your Garmin. Not sure you can do much better.
Thanks for the response! I like that.... Gotta ask..... Got a pic? A view from your eye level? I am concerned of blocking view.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 360 Likes on 240 Posts

I have my camera just off to the passenger side of the mirror mount. Sits behind the mirror and unable to really see it. I have the A119, more of a wedge shape. Thankfully not needed but I think a small price to pay for the peace of mind. May pick up another for a rear camera but I feel if rear ended the other driver can't lie their way out of it.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs

+1 on the Blendmount
Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I also have a Blendmount. Only way to go in my view.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

EZ pass to top right of window. Garmin stays where you have it. V1 below mirror. FTW :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,344 Likes on 4,043 Posts

As others have said, best radar detector location is the mirror post - I have it here in my Cayenne, my wife's 997, & my 928. EZ Pass behind the mirror where you have it. My Dashcam is a SpyTech A119, which I bought because it has an aimable lens from left to right. I have it mounted in the top left corner with the lens aimed to the right and the field of view works fine.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:20 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Blend mount +++

EZ Pass is in the glovebox and I leave it on the dash when needed which is seldom.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:23 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Thanks for the response! I like that.... Gotta ask..... Got a pic? A view from your eye level? I am concerned of blocking view.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
So it turns out I lied - don't have a blendmount in my 997 yet (the one from my 996 didn't fit). Anyway, my V1 is still in the same location it would be.

Snapped a quick pic. I don't find it interferes.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Bruce, here are a couple mirror mount pics for you

Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 687 Likes on 413 Posts

Oh Bruce, doth why do you need radar detector? I just finished my on-line defensive driving course and learned you should never exceed the speed limit even when passing on two lane road. They'd rather expose you to head on collision than minimize the risk and allow you to speed.
So you should never need radar detector. That means gasp, you're planning on speeding. We shouldn't condone this type discussion.
On the advice of counsel I refuse to write on why I was asking defensive driving course.
But if it was me, would mount right below mirror barely enough to catch rear signals. Mount cam very low left out of line of sight. I also don't use toll tag much and throw it on damn out of sight when needed but you could mount lowest right windshield position. Out of line of sight.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:10 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I mounted my dashcam behind my mirror today, so I can’t see it from the drivers seat.

But then I noticed a sensor on the back of the mirror that my dashcam is obstructing. What is that sensor?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I mounted my dashcam behind my mirror today, so I can’t see it from the drivers seat.

But then I noticed a sensor on the back of the mirror that my dashcam is obstructing. What is that sensor?
Might be for the rain sensing wipers.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:58 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I noticed an ad for a RD with a cam - thought that was a good idea. I'd like to get my Uniden powered off the roof and lose the cord.

I was a V1 guy for 18 years but frustrated with the lack of innovation and early warning but the arrows are nice but then I realized they slow the brake response.

With a Uniden - I have no idea where the radar is and brake immediately. When I had the V1, I would use the arrows to locate and then brake. It might have only been a half second or less but I got a few tickets with the V1 over the almost 2 decades.

With the Uniden - if I have any complaint is that it detects too far in advance. It will pick up 3-5 miles ahead which is sometimes enough for me to mute and and forget it. (especially when I first got it) I liked the V1 rotary **** for that as opposed to the mute and or awkward placed volume buttons on the V1.

I also never understood why any radar detector uses red warning lights being they're the same color as brakelights.

No 'perfect' RD yet.... Keep calm and speed on

Quick Reply: Help me solve this tech placement issue ... Dashcam, EZ Pass, Radar Detector