Sponsored by:

exclusive interior design qustion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 AM
babern
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exclusive interior design qustion

I'm in the process of ordering/building a targa 4s I hope to pick up in March/april 2018 and have a question about interior alterations and hope someone may be able to provide some insight as its taking the dealer a while to hear back from porsche.

I plan on doing black exterior and the black/bordeaux interior, but have some concerns it may be "too much red' for me. I'm having them check to see if its possble to make the center console and lower dash portions in the black leather instead of the red. This would leave only red seating and door inserts

One would think this would be an easy swap of components without any custom color or stitching, etc. but this is my first time with porsche so I have no real idea.

Anyone have any idea of getting such adjustments made and possible cost?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have an answer for you specifically, but have you considered doing deviated seat inserts in black? I like the look and I would bet it is a much more economical solution for less red.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

This option is not on the configurator. Call Porsche Exclusive in Atlanta. They will be able to answer. Dealers will not know.

You will have to pay extra.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 PM
babern
Track Day

I looked at deviated seat color, but its really the red seats I like the most and it doesn't really reduce the amount of red in my peripheral/forward vision like I'm hoping for.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

babern, I have the stock black/bordeaux. I worried also about "too much red" but now really like it. The dash and conseol tops in black (and black carpets) nicely balances the red on the lower dash and console.

(note the red in this photo looks brighter than the actual color)
Old 06-29-2017, 01:33 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I love that interior.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:16 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche has an Exclusive Program for just this sort of question.
The USA website no longer lists a contact.
Your Dealer should be able to connect you, if not insist Porsche North America arrange a Consultation.
Be aware, the two experiences I have had, have been difficult.
Dealers don;t like to spend the time because most people when learning the cost, back out and some Dealers are clueless.
Good luck.-Richard
Old 06-29-2017, 06:55 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

And, if approved, plan on it adding 3-6 months to your build time. Getting "standard" LTS (a pre-approved LTS choice with no CXX changes to interior panels other than standard deviated stitching) added 3 months to my already delayed PTS order. I started my order process 10/14/17 (although I did make significant changes after) and the car is just now somewhere on the North Atlantic. March/April may work though.
As others have said, have your dealer connect you with PE in Atlanta. You should definitely ask if they have one person designated to deal with custom orders at your dealer. The process is quite complex and can take up a lot of time that could otherwise be used leasing or selling four door models to people who don't obsess about the stitching around the rear center tunnel in leather (guilty).
Old 06-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Likely the most economical would be black leather, deviated red seat centers and red seat belts.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
... I worried also about "too much red" ...
Me too. It's like baby bear's porridge: just right.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM
babern
Track Day

thanks for the replies. I figured even though I'm not requesting some special color, they'd charge to use standard panels in a unique combination.

I doubt I'd do this either, but hypothetically if I get the car and just don't like the interior, one could order a black leather dash panel and have it changed right? I don't know much about car repairs/recon but would think a shop should be able to order such a part and switch it right?

I just wish they had a slightly more subtle option like the red/black option in the cayman, where even the door panels are 50/50 red/black.

I have test driven a coupe with this interior and didn't seem to mind it while driving so think I'll be ok, its just such a big change from my usual black on black color schemes. But I think the black targa really needs another accent besides the silver targa bar and love how the red seats help with that. The deviated center color isn't visible from side windows and next to the targa bar which is why I'm not super excited about that option.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:08 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

Try this code. CRITICAL You must view it in 3D mode though. The 2d mode will not show the deviated leather color or stitching. I did full black interior, bordeaux red gauges, bordeaux red stitching extended and bordeaux red seat inserts and bordeaux red seat belts. I think it will wear better and the red is not overly done but an appropriate amount of accent plus the stitching absolutely makes it look custom. No need to cover every little thing in leather but I would do the steering column. Enjoy your new car. I waiting for my GTS.... painful.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4XU5N1
Old 06-29-2017, 04:20 PM
babern
Track Day

yeah, depending what cost porsche tells me my request would be, my other option was doing as you suggested with deviated red stitching and seatbelts. the seat centers are a good option but I really want the head rest part to be red so you can see the red seat from the outside. I just love that contrast of seeing the red against the silver targa bar and black exterior
Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the black/bordeaux -- had it for 6 months with no regrets. It comes with Bordeaux stitching on the black dash and the black leather on the doors. The standard black seat belts go fine with this combo. No need to overthink this, or to pay extra for custom leather options -- beyond full leather black/bordeaux interior. BTW, the photos (above) do not fairly represent the color as the Bordeaux is more of a red wine color than bright red, and with the black, the balance is just right -- no reflection on dash.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

I have yet to see a picture of black/bordeaux that looks as good as it does in person, at least to my eye. It's a beautiful combo.

Quick Reply: exclusive interior design qustion