Sponsored by:

Introducing My Grand Prix White RS Inspired 964

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts
Thumbs up Introducing My Grand Prix White RS Inspired 964

I've been searching for a 964 for dual purpose street and AX/DE. I wanted a driver, not a cream puff. My search led me to this 1990 Grand Prix White RS inspired 964. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rix-white.html

I was the first caller, but I hesitated wanting more time to think about it. When I called the seller fifteen minutes later ready to pull the trigger, I was too late. He was holding the car for a local. The buyer paid a deposit the next day, and car appeared to be sold. He who hesitates... But the next day the seller called me to tell me the car was still available. A had a PPI done by one of the local indy's, got a verbal report Monday afternoon, and was on a plane Monday night flying from Boston to Fort Lauderdale.

I picked the car up Tuesday morning in Fort Lauderdale armed with a radar detector, duct tape, a spare DME relay, and a few Grateful Dead CD's. I headed north up Interstate 95 and stopped in Del Rey Beach at Starbucks on Atlantic. Then I swung by mom's house in Boynton Beach for brunch. Mom insisted on getting in the car and taking a ride in the new 964. Pretty cool for 86 years old! Definitely one of the best parts of this trip.

After brunch with mom, it was time to hit the road and start the long trek home. I needed to get back to the office, but I couldn't resist detouring a bit through the hills for an opportunity to drive through tail of the dragon. What a great and memorable trip! The car performed admirably, despite the AC quitting after day one and heat blasting out of the passenger footwell from what I'm guessing is a broken cardboard flap. Thankfully I was up in the hills by then, and temperatures had cooled considerably.

The car has newer lowering coils, but the shocks are original and need replacing. The front wheels rubbed the fenders four or five time on the ride. The written PPI arrived by email on day two of the trip. The PPI noted that the front wheels were rubbing. They neglected to tell me this during the verbal summary, but nothing fatal. Overall the ride was pretty darn good, and the car felt pretty planted. I can't wait to see what a fresh suspension does for the car!

The car has a billy boat exhaust with cat delete. It sounds a bit like riding in a nautique ski boat with the blub, blub, blub out of the back. There's a little bit of drone on the highway, but I love the sound of the car. Driving around Town, you can't miss the car. It's not super-obnoxious, it just demands attention. It seems like I've received more compliments about the 964 in one week than both of my 993's in the past year. Maybe it's the arctic white, but I think perhaps the 964 simply has more of the iconic original lines and upright headlight of the earlier 911's. My 13 year old daughter prefers the newer, cleaner lines of the 993 She also hates the Beatles and the Rolling Stones...

Tail of the Dragon was incredible, and warranted a second pass. I saw about 75 motorcycles, one mustang, and a sheriff who took a long hard look at the 964 squealing around a curve. I drove until about 10:30 that evening stopping somewhere in PA to sleep for a few hours. I woke up at 5 AM on Thursday was at my desk in Boston by 1 PM.

Initial driving impressions of the 964 - fun! My 993 is faster, and turns easier, but darn I like the connected feeling of driving this car. Shifting seems much simpler and smoother than shifting in the 993. And first gear rolls smoothly with no lugging. The clutch action is easy and forgiving - not like my 993's where all the action is in the last three inches. Driving in traffic, releasing the clutch on a steep hill, it all just seems easier in the 964. Like my R32. And the car feels very planted, urging you to press on the accelerator in the curves. It' a bit like being in a comfortable, well worn shoe. I'm really looking forward to getting it properly sorted and putting her though the paces at AX, and eventually some DE events.

I'm presently thinking about a suspension refresh with PSS10's, Elephant bushings, RS sway bars. The car looks to be a great driver, and I look forward to getting her properly sorted with the assistance of this Forum.

Mom coming for a ride for brunch

Road Trip = BBQ!

Red's Country Store GA

Another night, another BBQ joint

The stock bits stashed in the car
Atlantic Avenue, Del Rey Beach
Tail of the Dragon
Entering Tail of the Dragon
Back home in Boston by Faneuil Hall

Last edited by Foxman; 06-22-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats! What a great way to get aquatinted with your new 911. Been wanting to do a similar drive for some time, just haven't had the opportunity.

Car looks fantastic!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Love it, looks like a fantastic car! The 964 looks so sharp in white with the black accents, and the ducktail looks awesome. Sounds like a blast of a trip back home, been meaning to get mine out on a long roadtrip - those curves look like fun! Congrats!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool story and congrats on the purchase. Funny you mention the amount of comments and attention the cars gets because I've had similar experiences in my 964. Lots of thumbs up while driving or people coming over in gas stations wondering what year it is and asking questions, etc. There is definitely something special about it.

Also, your Zenith Blue C2S for sale looks great. If I were in the market for a widebody aircooled car I'd be all over it.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope to see this one on the streets of Boston.

We're you at the dead and co shows over the weekend?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

It's Grand Prix White doe.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
It's Grand Prix White doe.
Congrats on the car and enjoy the drive!

Agree it appears GP White...also nice license plate I have similar on our 964.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:10 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome, congrats on the new ride! White is one of the best 964 colors, IMHO. Are you interested in selling your rear deck lid with retractable wing?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:11 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

It's great to read these stories: congrats!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the proper way to acquire a new car. congrats!

I did a cross country on my 964. thru the canyons, camping at national parks on the west. then flat land of midwest. finally thru traffics back to east.

the most memorable drive I ever had.

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 06-22-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Absolutely awesome post, and so happy someone like you got this wonderful car.
Your drive home, punctuated with a quick stop to get mom's approval, is what these cars are all about.
Drive the wheels off of that beast.

I look forward to getting her properly sorted with the assistance of this Forum.
We're ready to help!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 06-22-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clean GPW 964 always turns heads. The tint, black wheels, and black vent on duck tail contrast the white perfectly. People can't help but look at this and compliment it. A 993 is plain in comparison. You will turn heads every day in this thing. A lot of 3.2's look tired... 993's don't look like a classic 911... 964's got it all right and that's why they are lookers. It's a naturally pretty car! ( With the d90's off and lowered of course)
Old 06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Great story and great looking car! And Mom approves!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

+1 on the Dead CD's, makes any ride / drive better. Oh nice looking car too, enjoy.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 277 Posts

Great story, and big congrats Jim! It's always so much more fun and memorable to drive your new purchase home than trucking. Can't wait to see your slippery slope plans. PM sent.

Quick Reply: Introducing My Grand Prix White RS Inspired 964